Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Use of wheat gluten in bread

I recently purchased some South Asian whole wheat flour,
just to see what it's like. Turns out it's milled from
durum wheat, though I didn't notice that on the bag.

Still, the bread it makes has a perfectly good flavor,
it just won't rise very well. Can the rise be improved
by adding wheat gluten, and if so how much? I've tried
adding KA bread flour, but even at 60% KA the rise is
modest.

There's a YouTube video of a ciabatta-style bread made
from durum flour at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-LkIdLCcX0

The finished loaf appears to rise quite well, despite use
of considerable oil. I'm using no oil at all, just flour,
water, starter and sparing salt. Final rise is at warmish
temp (80-95F) for ~4-5 hours. I've avoided adding any
oil, thinking that will inhibit the yeast. Am I mistaken?

Thanks for reading, and any ideas....

bob prohaska

..

Vital Wheat Gluten/Gluten Flour Rachel Grier Vegetarian cooking 6 28-04-2007 12:11 PM
Use of Vital Wheat Gluten in Sourdough Whole Wheat Bob K Sourdough 3 21-01-2006 06:24 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Baking 18 15-01-2005 05:19 PM
Vital Wheat Gluten?? Raj V Baking 0 13-01-2005 07:56 PM
how to use wheat gluten Alan Baking 1 05-12-2003 02:23 AM