Sourdough (rec.food.sourdough) Discussing the hobby or craft of baking with sourdough. We are not just a recipe group, Our charter is to discuss the care, feeding, and breeding of yeasts and lactobacilli that make up sourdough cultures.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 09-11-2020, 02:56 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,798
Default Carl's Starter & Charles Perry was always an avid baker

My father-in-law is moving from his home to gentler quarters, so the
family have been cleaning out the old place as it has been sold.

My FIL was always an avid bread baker well into his late 80s, but I
could never convince him to play with sourdough. Oh, I tried, thinking
his chemical engineer background would make it fascinating. Nope.

I had some of Carl's starter sent to him. Frankly, I had no memory of
it whatsoever, but lo and behold, when we opened one of the boxes,
there was an envelope with my handwriting addressed to my FIL.

Curious, I turned it over and the back of the envelope, which has been
written on to say "Send brochure" gave me my clue before even opening
the back flap of the envelope.

Inside the envelope was a small baggie with the dried starter, stating
it was packed in February of 2002 by Charles Perry. The brochure was
in there too.

Why my FIL never used it is beyond me, but I started to revive it
yesterday.

It is alive folks.

There is activity, which the control batch I mixed with plain flour
and water is not showing.

Long way from activity to an established and workable starter, but I
had not tried anything like this in a while. I have revived very old
starters in the past, from Sourdough Jack packets in those books I had
acquired. There was doubt from a few around here back then, and no, I
did not sterilize the flour as Samartha thought would be the only
proof, nor followed anyone else's advice or listened to hectoring
(Dick probably). I stood firm then and still do.

Been to this rodeo before, certainly created a few dozen burbling
batches of SD from scratch using varying flours, and have also revived
many SDs of my own, long in storage or purchsed/traded for curiosity.

What this really is, though, is a delightful walk down memory lane,
remininding me of many wonderful hours spent on this group.

I thank the bread faeries, too.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 09-11-2020, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,043
Default Carl's Starter & Charles Perry was always an avid baker

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 08:56:28 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

My father-in-law is moving from his home to gentler quarters, so the
family have been cleaning out the old place as it has been sold.

My FIL was always an avid bread baker well into his late 80s, but I
could never convince him to play with sourdough. Oh, I tried, thinking
his chemical engineer background would make it fascinating. Nope.

I had some of Carl's starter sent to him. Frankly, I had no memory of
it whatsoever, but lo and behold, when we opened one of the boxes,
there was an envelope with my handwriting addressed to my FIL.

Curious, I turned it over and the back of the envelope, which has been
written on to say "Send brochure" gave me my clue before even opening
the back flap of the envelope.

Inside the envelope was a small baggie with the dried starter, stating
it was packed in February of 2002 by Charles Perry. The brochure was
in there too.

Why my FIL never used it is beyond me, but I started to revive it
yesterday.

It is alive folks.

There is activity, which the control batch I mixed with plain flour
and water is not showing.

Long way from activity to an established and workable starter, but I
had not tried anything like this in a while. I have revived very old
starters in the past, from Sourdough Jack packets in those books I had
acquired. There was doubt from a few around here back then, and no, I
did not sterilize the flour as Samartha thought would be the only
proof, nor followed anyone else's advice or listened to hectoring
(Dick probably). I stood firm then and still do.

Been to this rodeo before, certainly created a few dozen burbling
batches of SD from scratch using varying flours, and have also revived
many SDs of my own, long in storage or purchsed/traded for curiosity.

What this really is, though, is a delightful walk down memory lane,
remininding me of many wonderful hours spent on this group.

I thank the bread faeries, too.


Yes, those were the days.
I tried examining my starter under the microscope (a Leitz Orthoplan) but
all I saw was a cloud of flour particles. I also dissolved some instant
yeast and made a slide, but the spores were just featureless spheroids and
not at all as interesting as the fossilized ones I've seen in geological
samples.
You've prompted me to revive my starter:-)
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2020, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,798
Default Carl's Starter & Charles Perry was always an avid baker

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 15:06:27 -0700, Graham wrote:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 08:56:28 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

My father-in-law is moving from his home to gentler quarters, so the
family have been cleaning out the old place as it has been sold.

My FIL was always an avid bread baker well into his late 80s, but I
could never convince him to play with sourdough. Oh, I tried, thinking
his chemical engineer background would make it fascinating. Nope.


It is alive folks.


You've prompted me to revive my starter:-)



Those starters are like old friends.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-11-2020, 04:32 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,043
Default Carl's Starter & Charles Perry was always an avid baker

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 14:45:02 -0000 (UTC), heyjoe wrote:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 08:56:28 -0500
in Message-ID:
Boron Elgar wrote :

it was packed in February of 2002 by Charles Perry. The brochure was
in there too.

Why my FIL never used it is beyond me, but I started to revive it
yesterday.


Question about reviving dried starter.

From Friends of Carl -
To REACTIVATE the starter from the powdered form:

1. Dissolve the contents of the packet with 3/4 cup warm (90 degree) water, add 3/4 cup white bread flour, and 1 teaspoon sugar in glass or plastic container (NOT METAL!).

2. Place bowl (covered with damp towel) in warm place (the oven with the light on is about 85 degrees-Test it first!) for up to 48 hours. It will get bubbly from the fermentation. ITS ALIVE!!

3. Mix in 1 cup warm (95) water, add 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon dried potatoes or use potato water and let sit in the warm place till bubbly again. Dont worry about the lumps as the fermentation will take care of them.

4. Now, you can store it in the frig till needed. It may develop a clear liquid on top, if so, stir it back in as this is alcohol - keep it happy! It will need feeding about every couple of weeks, just add 1 cup warm skim milk or water, 1 T Sugar and 1 cup flour. Once in a while add 1 tablespoon of dried potatoes (or use potato water). If it looks sick, add 1 T CIDER vinegar to give it a kick in the behind! Give the excess to a friend or you can keep some of it in the freezer for several months between feedings.


In step 3 - don't keep dried potatoes on hand and potato salad season is
past. Would like to skip this if it's not really needed.

Is using potato water or dried potatoes desirable or necessary?


I don't know about the potatoes but two things in their #4 instructions
don't make sense.
Alcohol kills bacteria and, presumably, fungi. So I would pour it off.
Cider vinegar is a similar bug killer, that's why it's used in pickling.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-11-2020, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,798
Default Carl's Starter & Charles Perry was always an avid baker

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 14:45:02 -0000 (UTC), heyjoe
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 08:56:28 -0500
in Message-ID:
Boron Elgar wrote :

it was packed in February of 2002 by Charles Perry. The brochure was
in there too.

Why my FIL never used it is beyond me, but I started to revive it
yesterday.


Question about reviving dried starter.

From Friends of Carl -
To REACTIVATE the starter from the powdered form:

1. Dissolve the contents of the packet with 3/4 cup warm (90 degree) water, add 3/4 cup white bread flour, and 1 teaspoon sugar in glass or plastic container (NOT METAL!).

2. Place bowl (covered with damp towel) in warm place (the oven with the light on is about 85 degrees-Test it first!) for up to 48 hours. It will get bubbly from the fermentation. ITS ALIVE!!

3. Mix in 1 cup warm (95) water, add 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon dried potatoes or use potato water and let sit in the warm place till bubbly again. Dont worry about the lumps as the fermentation will take care of them.

4. Now, you can store it in the frig till needed. It may develop a clear liquid on top, if so, stir it back in as this is alcohol - keep it happy! It will need feeding about every couple of weeks, just add 1 cup warm skim milk or water, 1 T Sugar and 1 cup flour. Once in a while add 1 tablespoon of dried potatoes (or use potato water). If it looks sick, add 1 T CIDER vinegar to give it a kick in the behind! Give the excess to a friend or you can keep some of it in the freezer for several months between feedings.


In step 3 - don't keep dried potatoes on hand and potato salad season is
past. Would like to skip this if it's not really needed.

Is using potato water or dried potatoes desirable or necessary?



I have never used sugar or potato products to revive any Carl starter.

AP flour and water only until it is alive, alive-o.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-11-2020, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,798
Default Carl's Starter & Charles Perry was always an avid baker

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 15:51:00 -0000 (UTC), heyjoe
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 08:32:18 -0700
in Message-ID: t
Graham wrote :

I don't know about the potatoes but two things in their #4 instructions
don't make sense.
Alcohol kills bacteria and, presumably, fungi. So I would pour it off.
Cider vinegar is a similar bug killer, that's why it's used in pickling.


Stopped reading at #3, as I'm not even close to that point. Don't see
the point of potatoes - I think it's just a different source of starch.
But maybe I'm missing something, so am asking for advice/expertise
potatoes (and any other clues).

Agree with you. In the past, I poured off the top liquid/alcohol before
adding just flour and water to refresh the starter.

Lost my starter years ago from lack of use/refreshment. It was a from
scratch starter using rye flour. Am going to jump start this time by
using Carl's starter.



It is a very dependable starter with the usual care. Only drawback I
ever had with it, is that it is pretty mild. To counter that, I have
adjust final refreshments with other flours.before a bread session
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-11-2020, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Default Carl's Starter & Charles Perry was always an avid baker

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 08:32:18 -0700, Graham wrote:

Alcohol kills bacteria and, presumably, fungi.


Actually, most of the alcohol is oxidized quickly to acetic
acid. Think an open bottle of wine.

Acid won't kill the Lactobacillus or the Candida. It's why
they take over the colony. They thrive in an acidic environment.
The starter collapses from lack of food (flour), not because of the
presence of acid.

So I would pour it off.


I never do. If it's very old, I might pour maybe half off.

Cider vinegar is a similar bug killer, that's why it's used in pickling.


There is no need to add acid, the starter's "hooch" should be
acidic enough to protect the colony.
If the hooch "fails", you will get mould and/or a foul
smelling paste. And the starter is lost.
I've lost starters because people poured off the hooch in the
belief it had gone "sour".
But my primary starter, made in 2002 from scratch, is still
going strong. It's probably not the SAME as the original though:

https://modernistcuisine.com/mc/sourdough-science/

(quite a good article)

A lot can change in almost 20 years.
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carl's Starter + Mike's San Franciso Starter Recipe, First Attempt Yah Evets Sourdough 4 05-05-2009 07:47 PM
Carl's Starter George Rupp Sourdough 4 11-05-2007 09:45 PM
San Francisco sourdough starter and Carl's starter June Hughes Sourdough 7 29-03-2007 07:48 PM
Charles Perry's Magic Crumbs hutchndi Sourdough 3 30-11-2005 06:34 PM
Friends of Carl Starter and Liquid Starter Rod & BJ Sourdough 5 26-10-2003 08:48 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017