Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Sourdough for Sanity

Hello everybody, just wondering how your all doing during this pandemic, hope your all staying safe! Thinking about starting to bake again to keep me sane.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 09:52:45 -0700 (PDT), hutchndi >
wrote:

>Hello everybody, just wondering how your all doing during this pandemic, hope your all staying safe! Thinking about starting to bake again to keep me sane.

I woke my dried starter up and made 3 loaves of SF sourdough; 2 gone
so baking again in a few days. And trying to stave off cabin fever
from SWMBO!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I'm jealous! Its been awhile for me since I've had any starter bubbling away over here, I actually have to wait for a new starter from Carl's website, so it might take me a few weeks. So I will have to get by till then. But looking forward to it. I could try making one from scratch, but I haven't had too much luck with that in the past. Just getting all my old bannetons and stuff together will hopefully help get my mind off all this coronavirus stuff for now.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 12:52:47 PM UTC-4, hutchndi wrote:
> Hello everybody, just wondering how your all doing during this pandemic, hope your all staying safe! Thinking about starting to bake again to keep me sane.

Same here! I think the whole world is turning to baking again! I just ordered some of Carl's starter.. & will have to be patient until it arrives! I tried to get my own starter going from scratch, but as it is pretty cccold in this old farmhouse up here in Michigan... it was coming along verrrry slowly, and I felt maybe it was too wasteful of flour, especially during this time when flour can be scarce. The hubby and I can only eat so many spent-starter pancakes !! LOL

I might try again in the summertime, .. in the meantime I eagerly await Carl's starter so we can have some wonderful bread...
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Can't find flour anywhere, I had to order a 50 pound bag from bakers authority. Showed up on my doorstep in a few days, not bad, just hope that Carl's folks keep sending out those starter packs through all this.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 4:30:27 AM UTC-4, hutchndi wrote:
> Can't find flour anywhere, I had to order a 50 pound bag from bakers authority. Showed up on my doorstep in a few days, not bad, just hope that Carl's folks keep sending out those starter packs through all this.

Flour very hard to find here too! Luckily we live in an area with a lot of Amish and Mennonites.. I found big bags of WW flour and a 1 lb. block of yeast at one of their stores... had to drive out in the country a little ways, ..but they are apparently not being cleaned out as rapidly as the regular grocery stores! I felt very lucky!
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 01:30:26 -0700 (PDT), hutchndi
> wrote:

>Can't find flour anywhere, I had to order a 50 pound bag from bakers authority. Showed up on my doorstep in a few days, not bad, just hope that Carl's folks keep sending out those starter packs through all this.

That's doing it up right!
FWIW, my own dried starter (originally San Francisco) took the better
part of a week of gradual feeding to fully wake up.
Made the sponge stage this morning; gonna give it a full 24 hrs
fermenting time at room temp, and bake tomorrow.
In these strange times, SWMBO hasn't made the usual grumbles about me
playing with flour in the kitchen!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 4:30:27 AM UTC-4, hutchndi wrote:
> Can't find flour anywhere, I had to order a 50 pound bag from bakers authority. Showed up on my doorstep in a few days, not bad, just hope that Carl's folks keep sending out those starter packs through all this.

Us Carl's people are hard at work trying to meet the sudden spike in demand in a more or less timely way. Still losing money on every order but making it up on volume. (Just kidding - still free for a SASE, covered by generous optional donations.)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Good to hear and know your still on the job Mr Adams!
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 10:07:03 -0700 (PDT), Dick Adams
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 4:30:27 AM UTC-4, hutchndi wrote:
>> Can't find flour anywhere, I had to order a 50 pound bag from bakers authority. Showed up on my doorstep in a few days, not bad, just hope that Carl's folks keep sending out those starter packs through all this.

>Us Carl's people are hard at work trying to meet the sudden spike in demand in a more or less timely way. Still losing money on every order but making it up on volume. (Just kidding - still free for a SASE, covered by generous optional donations.)

Thanks for keeping the flame burning, Dick.

Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

The bread goes on...
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 1:07:05 PM UTC-4, Dick Adams wrote:
> On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 4:30:27 AM UTC-4, hutchndi wrote:
> > Can't find flour anywhere, I had to order a 50 pound bag from bakers authority. Showed up on my doorstep in a few days, not bad, just hope that Carl's folks keep sending out those starter packs through all this.

> Us Carl's people are hard at work trying to meet the sudden spike in demand in a more or less timely way. Still losing money on every order but making it up on volume. (Just kidding - still free for a SASE, covered by generous optional donations.)

Just want to give you a big shout out, & a big thank you, Mr. Adams... & all the folks in 'Team Carl...' I'm sure it must be overwhelming trying to deal with the demand for sourdough starter right now!! Thank you for this wonderful service to the community!!
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Here here! Each packet Dicky sends out is a lifesaver! I plan on sharing starter with family and friends who are in need (in the safest way possible of course) so they can keep going as well! Who would have thought that Carl's friends would end up saving the world!!!
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Actually volunteers send it out. I am emeritus. Volunteers are sought. http://carlsfriends.net/feedback.html

BBQ Sanity Always W/ WEEZAH Barbecue 1 01-10-2016 08:17 PM
Converting Sourdough Formula To Non-Sourdough Formula KMIAA Baking 0 27-06-2011 08:28 PM
preserving my sanity....;-) Kathi Jones Preserving 6 29-08-2006 06:04 AM
Dorothy Lynch salad dressing: Sanity check Bob General Cooking 5 25-11-2004 07:44 AM