Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Sourdough microbiology project

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while, really like the idea of this group. I've also been baking with my starter (purchased from some local German Baptists) for a bit more than a year now. I'm finally getting better at it.

Anyway, I ran across this that I thought might be interesting. They aren't collecting starters yet, but they have a lot of other successful projects and so I suspect this this won't just disappear:

http://robdunnlab.com/projects/sourdough

and here is the tagline:

"This project is a broad collaboration involving experts in the evolution of food microorganisms (Ben Wolfe, Tufts University), the ecology of microbes (Tad Fukami, Stanford/Natural History Museum of Denmark), human evolution (Peter C. Kjærgaard, Natural History Museum of Denmark), the ecology of life in homes (Rob Dunn, Natural History Museum of Denmark/NC State University), the interface of microbial cultures and art (Anne Madden, NC State University) among others."
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:42:02 -0800 (PST), Eric Graham
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've been lurking for a while, really like the idea of this group. I've also been baking with my starter (purchased from some local German Baptists) for a bit more than a year now. I'm finally getting better at it.
>
>Anyway, I ran across this that I thought might be interesting. They aren't collecting starters yet, but they have a lot of other successful projects and so I suspect this this won't just disappear:
>
>http://robdunnlab.com/projects/sourdough
>
>and here is the tagline:
>
>"This project is a broad collaboration involving experts in the evolution of food microorganisms (Ben Wolfe, Tufts University), the ecology of microbes (Tad Fukami, Stanford/Natural History Museum of Denmark), human evolution (Peter C. Kjærgaard, Natural History Museum of Denmark), the ecology of life in homes (Rob Dunn, Natural History Museum of Denmark/NC State University), the interface of microbial cultures and art (Anne Madden, NC State University) among others."

It's a pity the signup is on a known and tagged
spamming/malware distributing site. Expect a full inbox if you sign
up. And don't click on any of the URLs they might contain.

The first two authors mentioned in the article seem to be OK,
though. The other two ? Interface between microbes and ART, OMG !!!!

I'll pass.

Best info about sourdough organisms he

http://samartha.net/SD/

He's for real .... (though he has not written in a while)
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:42:02 -0800 (PST), Eric Graham
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've been lurking for a while, really like the idea of this group. I've also been baking with my starter (purchased from some local German Baptists) for a bit more than a year now. I'm finally getting better at it.
>
>Anyway, I ran across this that I thought might be interesting. They aren't collecting starters yet, but they have a lot of other successful projects and so I suspect this this won't just disappear:
>
>http://robdunnlab.com/projects/sourdough
>
>and here is the tagline:
>
>"This project is a broad collaboration involving experts in the evolution of food microorganisms (Ben Wolfe, Tufts University), the ecology of microbes (Tad Fukami, Stanford/Natural History Museum of Denmark), human evolution (Peter C. Kjærgaard, Natural History Museum of Denmark), the ecology of life in homes (Rob Dunn, Natural History Museum of Denmark/NC State University), the interface of microbial cultures and art (Anne Madden, NC State University) among others."

Try this:

http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> It's a pity the signup is on a known and tagged
> spamming/malware distributing site. Expect a full inbox if you sign
> up. And don't click on any of the URLs they might contain.

Yikes! This is strange, given the university-based stuff that they are doing, but perhaps I'm not surprised. Thank you Shadow for the heads-up on that. I did sign up about a month ago, but no obvious repercussions have occurred to my inbox... yet.

> The first two authors mentioned in the article seem to be OK,
> though. The other two ? Interface between microbes and ART, OMG !!!!

I'm teaching a microbiology class this winter and you'd be surprised how many people find beauty in a petri dish (but making a University career out of it... wow). If you haven't seen some before, here's a fun set: http://bit.ly/1KOlOG2

> Best info about sourdough organisms he
> http://samartha.net/SD/

Thanks for the link! And Thanks to Boron Elgar for the link as well. I have some more fun reading to do!

Cheers,

Eric
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 07:46:21 -0800 (PST), Eric Graham
> wrote:

>> It's a pity the signup is on a known and tagged
>> spamming/malware distributing site. Expect a full inbox if you sign
>> up. And don't click on any of the URLs they might contain.

>Yikes! This is strange, given the university-based stuff that they are doing, but perhaps I'm not surprised. Thank you Shadow for the heads-up on that. I did sign up about a month ago, but no obvious repercussions have occurred to my inbox... yet.
>

>> The first two authors mentioned in the article seem to be OK,
>> though. The other two ? Interface between microbes and ART, OMG !!!!

>I'm teaching a microbiology class this winter and you'd be surprised how many people find beauty in a petri dish (but making a University career out of it... wow). If you haven't seen some before, here's a fun set: http://bit.ly/1KOlOG2

Delightful!

>> Best info about sourdough organisms he
>> http://samartha.net/SD/

>Thanks for the link! And Thanks to Boron Elgar for the link as well. I have some more fun reading to do!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Eric

Keep up the good work.

Microbiology - Abstract submission (Madrid-Spain, October 2013) [email protected] Preserving 0 12-03-2013 12:06 PM
Project use-what-we-have Serene Vannoy General Cooking 23 17-04-2009 08:19 PM
Next BBQ Project Louis Cohen Barbecue 2 07-06-2005 03:40 AM
BBQ Map project F.G. Whitfurrows Barbecue 20 17-02-2004 01:29 AM
BBQ Map project Chef Juke Barbecue 22 16-02-2004 01:21 AM