Old 13-12-2015, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Anybody still reading here?

On 12/12/2015 3:04 PM, Dusty wrote:
On 12-Dec-15 11:54, graham wrote:
On 11/12/2015 6:16 PM, Dusty wrote:
G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty

It has been a long time! To refresh my memory, were you once stationed
at one of the Suffolk USAF bases?
Graham

Dang! Indeed! Now that's a memory... !
I spent some quality time in the UK at RAF Lakenheath. A most enjoyable
country and post.

I come from further south in Suffolk. We had some USAF people in the
village but they were all stationed at Ben****ers. One was a regular in
the pub on Sunday at noon and he bought a Jaguar to ship back to the US.
Graham

Old 13-12-2015, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13-Dec-15 11:03, graham wrote:
On 12/12/2015 3:14 PM, Dusty wrote:
On 12-Dec-15 11:56, graham wrote:
On 11/12/2015 8:37 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
point me to where we're meeting these days.

No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still
get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as
Carl offered in the old days.

I still use your recipe but bake it in a Lodge dutch oven!
Graham

Ha! Gotcha I did! There's going to be a discussion about royalties ya
know...
My memory apparently not being as good as yours, just which recipe was
that? I've got dozens that I circulate through. And how/what does that
Dutch oven do for the outcome? Apparently you like it. Can you
summarize it? Pictures perhaps?

I started using this method after reading about Jim Lahey's "NNo-Knead"
method that was first published in the New York Times and later in his
book.
I didn't like his dough method but I did like the results from baking
the bread in a cast iron casserole. At first I used a Le Creuset
marmitout bu then invested in a Lodge dutch oven. I insist on Lodge as
it's US made and you know what you are getting. One never knows what
goes into the cast iron in Chinese foundries!!

Yep. Roger that.

I use the method whether I am baking a pure SD, hybrid SD/yeast or yeast
raised loaves.
Assuming you make a boule type loaf and have raised the dough in a
banneton or brotform, place the Lodge with its lid in the oven and
preheat to 450F. When ready, plop the dough in the Lodge and replace the
lid.

I assume that you put it back in the oven?

After ~25 minutes, remove the lid and bake for another 15-20
minutes. No greasing or other treatment of the casserole is necessary.

Sounds simple and straightforward.

I found that plopping the dough straight from the banneton often
resulted in slightly lop-sided loaves as the dough stuck briefly to one
part of the banneton. I now plop it onto a piece of parchment and then
lift the paper by the corners and put it into the Lodge.

Baking in such an enclosed space means that you don't have to spray with
water and the oven spring is excellent.
Try it! You'll probably never go back to baking on a stone.

Thanks for the clarifications. I'll have to give that a lash. If so,
it'll heartbreak my stone...

Best regards all,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Old 13-12-2015, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13-Dec-15 11:07, graham wrote:
[...]

I got myself a VW station wagon. Shipped that puppy back and drove it
for 4-5 more years.
Went in & out of Ben****ers a few times. That and Mildenhall (sp?) as
well. Loved driving around your country. Spent many wonderful days
exploring Sherwood Forest, and more time exploring the Scottish
highlands in the north, and Wales to the west. Still have my coin from
being at the investiture of the Prince of Wales. Found the folks
charming and friendly where ever we went. Got my first taste of
homemade sourdough bread from an elderly lass living not far from us in
Weeting (Brandon/Suffolk). One of the things I liked best was their way
of naming homes/houses, and not just using a cold, impartial, street number.
May have to go back in a few years to see how things are these days over
there. Given it's rich and long history, probably not changed much in
the few moments that have passed since I was there last.

Dusty,
Old 13-12-2015, 10:23 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:54:20 -0500, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 17:16:53 -0800, Dusty
wrote:

G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty

Nope. All gone.

I'm gone too.

[]'s

PS still using my starter from 2002. Or thereabouts. Eggs and
bacon on sourdough toast is a treat I indulge in once a week....
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old 14-12-2015, 12:24 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

wrote:

G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty

Nope. All gone.

I'm gone too.

[]'s

PS still using my starter from 2002. Or thereabouts. Eggs and
bacon on sourdough toast is a treat I indulge in once a week....

Sounds wonderful! We do that as well, almost each week on Saturday.
Although these last few days we've been going out to breakfast. I
especially like that on a version of croissant dough that I make with
sourdough. Instead of cutting and rolling them in those little pointy
crescents, I make 'em roundish about the size of an egg & bacon (or ham)
splat. Smear a little jam in there and they're wonderful.

Dusty

Old 14-12-2015, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

There are some moderated Sourdough groups in Yahoo Groups.

I haven't joined any yet but you can tell once you've joined a group
if it's moderated or not. If you see frequent spam or mostly spam,
unjoin (leave) the group and try another one.

Here's a search for sourdough related Yahoo Groups:

I do miss the time when Usenet text groups were useful, and especially
this group. I've learned a lot on my own since then.

This web site is maintained by one of the old-timers from back when
this was a great sourdough discussion site.

http://samartha.net/SD/

It has some useful information on the subject.

Donald

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:23:15 -0800, Dusty
wrote:

Oh well, I was browsing and wanted to see if this group was still
working like in the "old days". I guess not. I suspect that most of
the folks are meeting on Facebook or the like.
Oh well...I'm still baking sourdough and too old & ornery to use the new
kiddy-toys, so I guess that's good... !

Old 14-12-2015, 02:13 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough
Doc Doc is offline

There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf(http://www.thefreshloaf.com/), some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.

Doc
Old 14-12-2015, 02:31 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 18:13:10 -0800 (PST), Doc
wrote:

There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.

Lovely photos. Made my stomach water ....

[]'s
Old 14-12-2015, 03:59 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13-Dec-15 17:55, Donald wrote:
There are some moderated Sourdough groups in Yahoo Groups.

I haven't joined any yet but you can tell once you've joined a group
if it's moderated or not. If you see frequent spam or mostly spam,
unjoin (leave) the group and try another one.

Here's a search for sourdough related Yahoo Groups:

I do miss the time when Usenet text groups were useful, and especially
this group. I've learned a lot on my own since then.

This web site is maintained by one of the old-timers from back when
this was a great sourdough discussion site.

http://samartha.net/SD/

It has some useful information on the subject.

Please accept a most gracious thank you for posting that link, Donald.
I'd forgotten that name completely. Thank you ever so much for
resurrecting it in my mind.
Samartha was indeed one of the old crew...and a good friend to boot.

Dusty
Old 14-12-2015, 04:03 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13-Dec-15 18:13, Doc wrote:
There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf(http://www.thefreshloaf.com/), some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.

Doc

Thank you kindly for that link, Doc.

Dusty

Old 14-12-2015, 02:24 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 20:03:03 -0800, Dusty
wrote:

On 13-Dec-15 18:13, Doc wrote:
There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf(http://www.thefreshloaf.com/), some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.

Doc

Thank you kindly for that link, Doc.

Dusty

I second the recommendation for TFL. It has been around for years, is
easily searchable and allows for photos.

As with any site, give it a bit of time until you can easily separate
the wheat from the chaff.

The FB group, which can be reached at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/360136781918/

....is also quite useful once one gets the lay of the land.

Old 14-12-2015, 03:06 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

wrote:

On 13-Dec-15 18:13, Doc wrote:
There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf(http://www.thefreshloaf.com/), some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.

Doc

Thank you kindly for that link, Doc.

Dusty

I second the recommendation for TFL. It has been around for years, is
easily searchable and allows for photos.

As with any site, give it a bit of time until you can easily separate
the wheat from the chaff.

The FB group, which can be reached at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/360136781918/

...is also quite useful once one gets the lay of the land.

Thank you for that link, Boron. Most interesting it is.

I found this one through a link on a page of a site I used to frequent
(in the days before FB). -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/perfectsourdough/
Hopefully it'll be of use to some reading here.

Take care and be well my friends,
Dusty
Old 14-12-2015, 03:18 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

wrote:

On 13-Dec-15 18:13, Doc wrote:
[...]

HA! I never knew that one is there. HUGE group, too.

Thanks.

Take care and be well my friends,
Dusty

And to you, too.
Old 13-04-2016, 02:31 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

Does anyone have an email address for someone who used to post here
with a first name of Igor? He had a great sourdough available on ebay
and I'd like to get another dried starter now that my diabetes turned
out to be drug-induced and I can once again eat bread now that I got
off the medicine cardizem.

I don't plan to eat lots of carbs in my diet now that I had the
diabetes scare just out of a new knowledge of what empty carbs do to
the body over time, but I feel I can now eat some bread at times in my
diet.

BTW, I am aware that I can get the Carl's starter for free. I am
looking for a certain strain, not mnust any sourdough starter strain.

Donald

Old 13-04-2016, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default How to fill in old posts from Sourdough (WAS: Anybody still reading here?)

FWIW, depending on the newsgroup server you use, you can go way back
to over a decade ago and read Usenet posts here. I use the $2.95 per
month plan (25 GB, way more than you need for test only newsgroups):

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

but they have higher bandwidth plans if you want to download movies
and binary files on up to an unlimited plan for $14.95 per month. I
use the $2.95 plan but probably don't get my money's worth.

You COULD, if you only wanted to get some text groups old posts on
your newsreader, try their service free for a month for the basic
service I use and fill in your old posts, then decide to NOT continue
using the service if you wish.

I have found that the free services were not worth my trouble but you
might have found a good one that has been reliable for you in your
part of the world. If so, that's great. I was moving from one free one
to another and I didn't care for the trouble involved in doing that
just to save the few $ it cost me to use Forte's services.

Most groups are spam havens now, but the older Sourdough posts are
available back to 2003 on forte's server, back when Dick Adams and
Samartha posted frequently.

I use Forte Agent newsgroup reader & email reader. I started with a
free account when beta testing the program and can get it free during
testing periods, but it has proved to be a reliable service so I keep
on using it. Agent is probably the most powerful newsreader available.
I hope this may help someone.

wrote:

Please accept a most gracious thank you for posting that link, Donald.
I'd forgotten that name completely. Thank you ever so much for
resurrecting it in my mind.
Samartha was indeed one of the old crew...and a good friend to boot.

Has someone been reading RFC? sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 20-06-2013 08:59 PM
Wine Reading Casey Miller Wine 1 15-11-2010 03:11 PM
Fascinating reading James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 22 07-08-2009 02:14 PM
help reading japanese on tea cup cha bing Tea 5 16-12-2007 11:38 PM
Reading SG from must R-D-C Winemaking 0 23-10-2004 10:51 PM