Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Tartine bread recipe.

Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He emphasizes
weighing in grams and although the method looks involved, if you have
baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back the salt and 50g
of water to the end of the mixing and the total hydration is a bit over
75%. Baked in a dutch oven.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0

For everyday SD loaves, Dick's Billowy White Sourdough takes some beating!
I wonder if Dick Adams is OK. He was a regular here but hasn't posted
for some time.

Graham
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:51:56 -0700, graham > wrote:

>Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He emphasizes
>weighing in grams and although the method looks involved, if you have
>baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back the salt and 50g
>of water to the end of the mixing and the total hydration is a bit over
>75%. Baked in a dutch oven.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0
>
>For everyday SD loaves, Dick's Billowy White Sourdough takes some beating!
>I wonder if Dick Adams is OK. He was a regular here but hasn't posted
>for some time.
>
>Graham

http://www.advancedbackgroundchecks....ams/1086639949
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 25/04/2014 5:36 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:51:56 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He emphasizes
>> weighing in grams and although the method looks involved, if you have
>> baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back the salt and 50g
>> of water to the end of the mixing and the total hydration is a bit over
>> 75%. Baked in a dutch oven.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0
>>
>> For everyday SD loaves, Dick's Billowy White Sourdough takes some beating!
>> I wonder if Dick Adams is OK. He was a regular here but hasn't posted
>> for some time.
>>
>> Graham

> http://www.advancedbackgroundchecks....ams/1086639949

I thought that that might be the case. He was very helpful behind the
grumpy and acerbic exterior.
I converted his recipe to metric weights. However, he baked his bread
from cold and whenever I tried that, it resulted in a huge tunnel in the
middle of the loaf (not a flying crust).
Graham
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:51:56 -0700, graham > wrote:

>Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He emphasizes
>weighing in grams and although the method looks involved, if you have
>baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back the salt and 50g
>of water to the end of the mixing and the total hydration is a bit over
>75%. Baked in a dutch oven.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0
>
>For everyday SD loaves, Dick's Billowy White Sourdough takes some beating!
>I wonder if Dick Adams is OK. He was a regular here but hasn't posted
>for some time.

His last post was with this url:

http://mysite.verizon.net/dickya/dickpics/billowy.html

[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 29/04/2014 12:38 PM, Shadow wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:51:56 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> Here is an article in the NYT for a natural levain bread. He emphasizes
>> weighing in grams and although the method looks involved, if you have
>> baked before it's pretty straightforward. He holds back the salt and 50g
>> of water to the end of the mixing and the total hydration is a bit over
>> 75%. Baked in a dutch oven.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/di...f=general&_r=0
>>
>> For everyday SD loaves, Dick's Billowy White Sourdough takes some beating!
>> I wonder if Dick Adams is OK. He was a regular here but hasn't posted
>> for some time.

> His last post was with this url:
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/dickya/dickpics/billowy.html
>
> []'s

From Boron's reply he seems to have passed on to the great bakery in
the sky.
I followed his recipe after converting it to grams/mls and it really is
foolproof.
Graham