Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default San Francisco yeast for sourdough pancakces.

I'm looking for locally-produced San Francisco yeast to make sourdough
pancakes. I'm not looking for starter, just yeast, and I understand
San Francisco yeast is unique.

I've made sourdough pancakes fresh from yeast each week for years. If
I were to use San Francisco starter, it would obtain a local flavor
over time.

Is anyone aware of a baker/business/whatever that ships yeast? I
understand Rainbow Grocery sells it in bulk but they don't ship. I
would gladly reimburse for cost and shipping if someone would purchase
local yeast and ship. My heart would soar like a hawk!

I've searched periodically for years for this information or someone
who would do a person a good turn. I just found this group and hope
someone here will understand.

Again, I'm - just - looking - for - yeast; not starter.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 20.06.2012 13:46, Rhubarbpieguy wrote:

> I'm looking for locally-produced San Francisco yeast to make sourdough
> pancakes. I'm not looking for starter, just yeast, and I understand
> San Francisco yeast is unique.

Do you want to make sourdough pancakes or yeast pancakes?
If you have sourdough you don't need yeast.
If you just use yeast you won't get sourdough pancakes.

Viele Grüße
Adrian
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 04:46:31 -0700 (PDT), Rhubarbpieguy
> wrote:

>I'm looking for locally-produced San Francisco yeast to make sourdough
>pancakes. I'm not looking for starter, just yeast, and I understand
>San Francisco yeast is unique.
>
>I've made sourdough pancakes fresh from yeast each week for years. If
>I were to use San Francisco starter, it would obtain a local flavor
>over time.
>
>Is anyone aware of a baker/business/whatever that ships yeast? I
>understand Rainbow Grocery sells it in bulk but they don't ship. I
>would gladly reimburse for cost and shipping if someone would purchase
>local yeast and ship. My heart would soar like a hawk!
>
>I've searched periodically for years for this information or someone
>who would do a person a good turn. I just found this group and hope
>someone here will understand.
>
>Again, I'm - just - looking - for - yeast; not starter.

With all due respect Rhubarbpieguy, we seem to have a problem here of
semantics -- the meaning of the words you used. In this newsgroup
your post carries a slight possibility of inviting flames. I will
refrain and, instead, offer information. To explain what I mean:

"Yeast" is not the same as "sourdough", which in turn is not exactly
the same as "San Francisco yeast"

"Yeast" -- certainly in the context of this newsgroup -- _usually_
means commercial baker's yeast which is purchased in a grocery store
and is a strain of Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (SC). Technically the
same as brewer's yeast. There are, in fact, many many types of
yeasts, but most are useless for baking (think jock itch -- that's a
yeast).

"sourdough" is a symbiotic relationship (living together in a
"starter") between a strain of yeast -- NOT SC, but one of a number of
other types of yeast -- and a bacteria (Lactobacillus) which produces
lactic acid, which imparts the sour flavor in the goods baked with it.

"San Francisco sourdough" is a particular combination of a certain
strain of yeast and bacteria which originated in the San Francisco
area. In other words, a subset of sourdough.

You cannot make "sourdough pancakes" without sourdough, which means
you must start with a sourdough starter. Any packaged yeast will not
give you sourdough pancakes.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I'm apparently not being clear. Each week I make sourdough pancakes by mixing yeast, water, and flour. I let it sit at warm temperature for three days, stirring daily. At the end of three days I have zesty, sour pancakes. I could take some mix to use as an on-going starter, but I prefer making it each week.

Red Star, Fleischman's, and SAF are available locally. However, I want to try locally-produced San Francisco yeast which is said to have unique characteristics. What can it hurt to try?

So, do you know how I can obtain just yeast gathered locally in San Francisco?
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:38:35 PM UTC-5, zxcvbob wrote:

> Try mixing rye flour and water AND NO YEAST and letting that sit for a
> few days. Use half of it in your pancakes and feed the rest with
> all-purpose white flour and water AND NO YEAST. It will get a lot
> better after a couple of weeks.
>
> Whether you know it or not, your original question and its implications
> (obtain a genuine SF starter and then use it all up and not culture it,
> making a fresh batch each week) are actually offensive. I suspect that
> might be the point, but just in case you are sincere try the method in
> my first paragraph and see if it works better for you. HTH
>
> Bob

Thank you, but I've made pancakes by your no yeast method. I was told they'd be zestier. I've made sourdough pancakes for 20+ years with starters from AK, CA, VT and Friends of Carl. Friends of Carl has been my favorite and I use that when I don't brew a fresh batch.

But let me be very clear. The intention of my post was, and is not, to be offensive. I've no idea why you, or others, would think so.

My situation is extremely simple. I'm simply looking for yeast, locally produced in San Francisco as I've read it may be unique. I think it's a noble effort and interesting experiment. If it doesn't work, no big deal.

So, one last time. If anyone knows how I can obtain locally-produced San Francisco yeast I'd love to know. That information would be useful to me.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:51:23 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:38:35 PM UTC-5, zxcvbob wrote:

<SNIP>>
>Thank you, but I've made pancakes by your no yeast method. I was told they'd be zestier. I've made sourdough pancakes for 20+ years with starters from AK, CA, VT and Friends of Carl. Friends of Carl has been my favorite and I use that when I don't brew a fresh batch.
>But let me be very clear. The intention of my post was, and is not, to be offensive. I've no idea why you, or others, would think so.
>My situation is extremely simple. I'm simply looking for yeast, locally produced in San Francisco as I've read it may be unique. I think it's a noble effort and interesting experiment. If it doesn't work, no big deal.
>So, one last time. If anyone knows how I can obtain locally-produced San Francisco yeast I'd love to know. That information would be useful to me.

I think I now understand what you were getting at. If I am correct,
you are aware of what sourdough is and you are attempting to get just
the yeast part of the San Francisco sourdough culture (Saccharomyces
exiguus??) without the Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis.

I do not know of any source of just the yeast representing the SF
area. All the commericially sold yeasts I know are all 100%
Saccharomyces Cerevisiae and I would be exptremely surprised if anyone
did anything else.

I also must be frank and admit that I'm puzzled why you would want
that. Without a robust and vibrant lacto culture, any sourness that
develops over just a few days could be from almost any little beasties
that landed in the mixture -- pretty scary prospect.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:38:35 PM UTC-5, zxcvbob wrote:

<SNIP>>
>Thank you, but I've made pancakes by your no yeast method. I was told they'd be zestier. I've made sourdough pancakes for 20+ years with starters from AK, CA, VT and Friends of Carl. Friends of Carl has been my favorite and I use that when I don't brew a fresh batch.
>
>But let me be very clear. The intention of my post was, and is not, to be offensive. I've no idea why you, or others, would think so.
>
>My situation is extremely simple. I'm simply looking for yeast, locally produced in San Francisco as I've read it may be unique. I think it's a noble effort and interesting experiment. If it doesn't work, no big deal.
>
>So, one last time. If anyone knows how I can obtain locally-produced San Francisco yeast I'd love to know. That information would be useful to me.

Another follow up:
Three things:
(1) "Red Star, Fleischman's, and SAF" are all Saccharomyces
Cerevisiae, rather than the types of yeast found in sourdough.
(2) It is NOT the yeast that produces the sour flavor, it is the
Lactobacillus. Leaving that out will NOT produce the sour flavor. If
it is turning sour it's something else and you have no way to know
what it is -- it might be harmful. Harmful or not, it's a crapshoot.
(you might check your grocery store's spice section for citric acid
(a.k.a. "Sour Salt") which will add an artificial sour flavor without
the Lactobacillus or whatever other beaties inhabit your three day old
mixture.
(3) You might want to adjust your Forte Agent's Options: Posting
Messages > Compositions Window > Line Length = 70. Your settings
allow your lines to run off the edge of the screen.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:29:07 -0600, OSIRIS > wrote:

>(3) You might want to adjust your Forte Agent's Options: Posting
>Messages > Compositions Window > Line Length = 70. Your settings
>allow your lines to run off the edge of the screen.

Press "O" in agent
(the word-wrap hotkey in agent)

I still think he's looking for sourdough flavoring

Here, I yahoo'd

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...h-flavor-12-oz

[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Look at the recipes I uploaded you might find it there