FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   Real Sourdough Bread in a Bread Machine (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/415555-real-sourdough-bread-bread.html)

Antilope 13-02-2012 05:56 PM

Real Sourdough Bread in a Bread Machine

REAL SOURDOUGH BREAD IN A BREAD MACHINE

I use the King Arthur Flour recipe, but I leave out their recommended
instant yeast.
They add yeast so the sourdough can be made using the bread machine
French
Bread cycle.

My starter is Carl's 1847 Oregon Trail, quite vigorous, and I use
separate DOUGH
and BAKE cycles on my Bread Machine. This allows the sourdough to rise
at its
own rate without using any added yeast.

You can get some of Carl's 1847 Oregon Trail starter for a Self-
Addressed
Stamped Envelope. The info is at this URL http://carlsfriends.net/

I take the sourdough starter out of the fridge, add a cup of the
starter to a mixing bowl,
add 2 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of bottled water. Add a
little more water, if
needed, so the mixture can be stirred with a wooden spoon. Mix well.
Cover bowl
and place in an OFF oven with the oven light on for warmth. Let it sit
until it is
bubbly and vigorous (maybe 4 hours). Stir it down and measure out 2
cups of
active starter for the recipe below.

Ingredients:

-- For a 1 1/2-lb. loaf --

2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose or Unbleached Bread
Flour (I just use any all-purpose flour that I have on hand).
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 cups active sourdough starter
1/2 cup lukewarm water (I use bottled water)

Place ingredients in bread machine in order given above.

Start bread machine on DOUGH cycle.

I use a rubber spatula to help the bread maker, if needed, for the
first couple of
minutes of mixing by pushing any dry lumps into the mixing blade.
Adjust dough to
proper consistency with more flour or water as needed to make a firm,
non-sticky
dough that could be kneaded by hand.

Let the machine bread machine complete its DOUGH cycle kneading (about
1/2 hour) and rise (about 1 hour).

Immediately after the kneading stops, I remove the mixing paddle and
press the dough evenly into the bottom of the bread machine mixing
pan.

I now monitor the dough and allow it to rise to the top of the mixing
pan (It takes about 2 or 3 hours).

When the dough has risen to the top of the bread pan, I start the
manual BAKE
cycle. My machine bakes the bread for 1 hour.

Remove from machine immediately, slice off freshly baked pieces,
spread with butter and enjoy.

Makes one 1 1/2 lb loaf.