Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.sourdough

Default Sourdough rolls

I'm making a batch of sourdough bread, and I wanna try making rolls with
it instead of a loaf. Do I just cut it into 1 or 1.5 ounce balls and
let them rise (covered with a damp towel) in greased muffin tins?

Do I need to brush some melted butter on top?

The trick is going to be timing the rise to have them ready to bake for
the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. I may have to put them in the back seat
of the car tonight to keep them cold to retard the rise.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.sourdough

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I'm making a batch of sourdough bread, and I wanna try making rolls with
> it instead of a loaf. Do I just cut it into 1 or 1.5 ounce balls and let
> them rise (covered with a damp towel) in greased muffin tins?
>
> Do I need to brush some melted butter on top?
>
> The trick is going to be timing the rise to have them ready to bake for
> the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. I may have to put them in the back seat
> of the car tonight to keep them cold to retard the rise.
>
> -Bob

Stay with the smaller size. The last time I baked rolls I under estimated
how much they were going to rise. You may not want the back seat of your
car to smell like sour dough. How about the trunk? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.sourdough

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I'm making a batch of sourdough bread, and I wanna try making rolls with
> it instead of a loaf. Do I just cut it into 1 or 1.5 ounce balls and let
> them rise (covered with a damp towel) in greased muffin tins?
>
> Do I need to brush some melted butter on top?
>
> The trick is going to be timing the rise to have them ready to bake for
> the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. I may have to put them in the back seat
> of the car tonight to keep them cold to retard the rise.
>
> -Bob

Brushing butter on the top will yield a soft crust.
Spray with water will yield a hard crust.

Your choice

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.sourdough

On Nov 23, 3:17*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I'm making a batch of sourdough bread, and I wanna try making rolls with
> it instead of a loaf. *Do I just cut it into 1 or 1.5 ounce balls and
> let them rise (covered with a damp towel) in greased muffin tins?
>
> Do I need to brush some melted butter on top?
>
> The trick is going to be timing the rise to have them ready to bake for
> the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. *I may have to put them in the back seat
> of the car tonight to keep them cold to retard the rise.
>
> -Bob

I'd just roll them into balls & then put onto a sheet pan...
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.sourdough

merryb wrote:
> On Nov 23, 3:17 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> I'm making a batch of sourdough bread, and I wanna try making rolls with
>> it instead of a loaf. Do I just cut it into 1 or 1.5 ounce balls and
>> let them rise (covered with a damp towel) in greased muffin tins?
>>
>> Do I need to brush some melted butter on top?
>>
>> The trick is going to be timing the rise to have them ready to bake for
>> the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. I may have to put them in the back seat
>> of the car tonight to keep them cold to retard the rise.
>>
>> -Bob

> I'd just roll them into balls & then put onto a sheet pan...

The dough was too wet to cook on a sheet pan. (1 pound of flour, 1 cup
of water, 1 tsp salt, plus 3/4 cup of starter which was wet like pancake
batter)

I put the dough (covered) in the car overnight. It was cold but risen
about triple by morning. I punched it down and snipped into 1.3 ounce
blobs, and dropped them into generously greased muffin tins. They took
maybe 4 or 5 hours to rise, but that was about right. I brushed the
tops with melted butter because they were drying out a little, and baked
at 375° until I could smell them. Don't really know how long that was,
maybe 15 or 20 minutes. The tops didn't brown, but the bottoms and sides
did.

They turned out really good. Kind of tough to tear open though, I
should have snipped them in half with buttered scissors before rising.
Maybe next time.

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.sourdough

"zxcvbob" > wrote, in part

> They turned out really good. Kind of tough to tear open though, I
> should have snipped them in half with buttered scissors before rising.
> Maybe next time.
>
> -Bob

Now there's a trick I didn't know. Thanks, Bob. Polly
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.sourdough

On Nov 24, 9:47*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 3:17 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> >> I'm making a batch of sourdough bread, and I wanna try making rolls with
> >> it instead of a loaf. *Do I just cut it into 1 or 1.5 ounce balls and
> >> let them rise (covered with a damp towel) in greased muffin tins?

> >> Do I need to brush some melted butter on top?

> >> The trick is going to be timing the rise to have them ready to bake for
> >> the Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. *I may have to put them in the back seat
> >> of the car tonight to keep them cold to retard the rise.

> >> -Bob

> > I'd just roll them into balls & then put onto a sheet pan...

> The dough was too wet to cook on a sheet pan. *(1 pound of flour, 1 cup
> of water, 1 tsp salt, plus 3/4 cup of starter which was wet like pancake
> batter)
>
> I put the dough (covered) in the car overnight. *It was cold but risen
> about triple by morning. *I punched it down and snipped into 1.3 ounce
> blobs, and dropped them into generously greased muffin tins. *They took
> maybe 4 or 5 hours to rise, but that was about right. *I brushed the
> tops with melted butter because they were drying out a little, and baked
> at 375° until I could smell them. *Don't really know how long that was,
> maybe 15 or 20 minutes. The tops didn't brown, but the bottoms and sides
> did.
>
> They turned out really good. *Kind of tough to tear open though, I
> should have snipped them in half with buttered scissors before rising.
> Maybe next time.
>
> -Bob

Glad to hear they turned out well!

Sourdough rolls zxcvbob General Cooking 9 26-11-2011 05:10 AM
Sourdough Rolls BigJohn Sourdough 3 13-10-2006 03:16 PM
Egg Rolls! Carol Damsel Peterson General Cooking 11 26-11-2005 01:53 AM
re-rolls Ginny Sourdough 1 02-10-2004 02:48 AM
Egg Rolls Nicholas Zhou Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2003 01:29 PM