Member

Location: Etobicoke,Ontario,Canada
Default Sourdough Chocolate Cake

Years ago I used to keep a jug in the frig with active sourdough. I also used to have a recipe for the most delish chocolate cake. Time and a few moves have taken their toll and one "toll" is the loss of all my sourdough recipes!(Someone I am sure is eating up a storm!....lolol)
Wondered IF there was someone on site that would happen to have that OR "a chocolate sourdough cake" recipe?
Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 02:11:17 +0000, CanadianSheWolf
> wrote:

>Years ago I used to keep a jug in the frig with active sourdough. I also
>used to have a recipe for the most delish chocolate cake. Time and a few
>moves have taken their toll and one "toll" is the loss of all my
>sourdough recipes!(Someone I am sure is eating up a storm!....lolol)
>Wondered IF there was someone on site that would happen to have that OR
>"a chocolate sourdough cake" recipe?
>Thanks in advance.

Curious, would that be with batter-like starter or the more
milky Thanksgiving "sugar-loving" starter ?
[]'s

--

PS Nice nick
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=She-wolf
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

King Arthur has a recipe:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...te-cake-recipe

You can look it up if that link doesn't work.

I've made sourdough cinnamon rolls....I've not tried to make
cake....this may inspire me.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"trix" > wrote in message
> King Arthur has a recipe:
>
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...te-cake-recipe
>
> You can look it up if that link doesn't work.
>
> I've made sourdough cinnamon rolls....I've not tried to make
> cake....this may inspire me.

The great thing about King Athur recipes is that they give the recipes in
weights. So much more reliable!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:38:13 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

>"trix" > wrote in message
>> King Arthur has a recipe:
>>
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...te-cake-recipe
>>
>> You can look it up if that link doesn't work.
>>
>> I've made sourdough cinnamon rolls....I've not tried to make
>> cake....this may inspire me.
>>

>The great thing about King Athur recipes is that they give the recipes in
>weights. So much more reliable!

The bad thing about their newer recipes is that they are filled with
cutesy and unnecessary ingredients that they are pushing online and in
the catalog..

....like this stuff:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...enhancer-10-oz

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:38:13 -0600, "graham" > wrote:
>

>>"trix" > wrote in message
>>> King Arthur has a recipe:
>>>
>>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...te-cake-recipe
>>>
>>> You can look it up if that link doesn't work.
>>>
>>> I've made sourdough cinnamon rolls....I've not tried to make
>>> cake....this may inspire me.
>>>

>>The great thing about King Athur recipes is that they give the recipes in
>>weights. So much more reliable!
>>

> The bad thing about their newer recipes is that they are filled with
> cutesy and unnecessary ingredients that they are pushing online and in
> the catalog..
>
> ...like this stuff:
>
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...enhancer-10-oz

I've seen similar stuff in a UK chain of shops where they sell cans of
"Bread Improver" as well. Presumably, the KA mix is, in part,to soften AP
flour.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

graham wrote:
> "trix" > wrote in message
>> King Arthur has a recipe:
>>
>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...te-cake-recipe
>>
>> You can look it up if that link doesn't work.
>>
>> I've made sourdough cinnamon rolls....I've not tried to make
>> cake....this may inspire me.
>>

> The great thing about King Athur recipes is that they give the
> recipes in weights. So much more reliable!

Rubbish!

Dusty
--
"The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given
me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I didn't see the cake enhancer as an ingredient in that cake recipe.

As with all recipes, I change out ingredients that don't meet my
approval for instance: I would probably use a combination of butter
and coconut oil instead of the 'vegetable oil' called for in the
recipe.

Just because King Arthur sells a cake enhancer doesn't mean you have
to buy it. The person asked for a sour dough cake recipe and I
directed them their...not that I've made the recipe myself.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:20:40 -0700 (PDT), trix >
wrote:

>I didn't see the cake enhancer as an ingredient in that cake recipe.
>
>As with all recipes, I change out ingredients that don't meet my
>approval for instance: I would probably use a combination of butter
>and coconut oil instead of the 'vegetable oil' called for in the
>recipe.
>
>Just because King Arthur sells a cake enhancer doesn't mean you have
>to buy it. The person asked for a sour dough cake recipe and I
>directed them their...not that I've made the recipe myself.

Please include portions of the post to which you are responding, or
your message winds up being a cry in the wilderness.

Oh, and you're way off base and have no idea whatsoever of what I
posted.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"BakerBoy" > wrote in message
> graham wrote:
>> "trix" > wrote in message
>>> King Arthur has a recipe:
>>>
>>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...te-cake-recipe
>>>
>>> You can look it up if that link doesn't work.
>>>
>>> I've made sourdough cinnamon rolls....I've not tried to make
>>> cake....this may inspire me.
>>>

>> The great thing about King Athur recipes is that they give the
>> recipes in weights. So much more reliable!

> Rubbish!
>
> Dusty
> --

In your cups, eh? {:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

graham wrote:
> "BakerBoy" > wrote in message
>> graham wrote:

>>> The great thing about King Athur recipes is that they give the
>>> recipes in weights. So much more reliable!

>> Rubbish!

> In your cups, eh? {:-)

In my cups indeed, Graham. {:-) It's been a while since we chatted. I'm
delighted to see you're still here. Sadly I see that you continue to cling
to same, old, incorrect, fact-free "truisms". Hard to teach an old dog a
new trick is it? ..(:-{})

It's good to see someone from "the old crew" posting here. Baked any good
bread lately? Anybody?

L8r all,
Dusty
--
"The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me
new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and
Truth."
- Albert Einstein

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"BakerBoy" > wrote in message
m...
> graham wrote:

>>> Rubbish!

>> In your cups, eh? {:-)

> In my cups indeed, Graham. {:-) It's been a while since we chatted. I'm
> delighted to see you're still here. Sadly I see that you continue to
> cling to same, old, incorrect, fact-free "truisms". Hard to teach an old
> dog a new trick is it? ..(:-{})
>
> It's good to see someone from "the old crew" posting here. Baked any good
> bread lately? Anybody?

Yes! Last w/e. A loaf of pain au levain. A friend near Vancouver is now
also baking sd loaves after I gave her some of my chef.
It has been quiet around here lately!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:50:16 -0700, "BakerBoy"
> wrote:

>graham wrote:

>>> Rubbish!

>> In your cups, eh? {:-)

>In my cups indeed, Graham. {:-) It's been a while since we chatted. I'm
>delighted to see you're still here. Sadly I see that you continue to cling
>to same, old, incorrect, fact-free "truisms". Hard to teach an old dog a
>new trick is it? ..(:-{})
>
>It's good to see someone from "the old crew" posting here. Baked any good
>bread lately? Anybody?

Three loaves every 10 days since 2002.
Even when it's not good bread, it makes good toast ...

>L8r all,
>Dusty

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:50:16 -0700, BakerBoy > wrote:

> It's good to see someone from "the old crew" posting here. Baked any good
> bread lately? Anybody?

Sure. I do every week or two, with my "starved" starter that lives
in the back of the fridge. Somehow it revives every time with just
one feeding, no 3 stage Deitmold process.

But what's the point of posting if DA isn't around to abuse us?
--
first a wall and then a crown
follow up and follow down
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 02:56:19 +0000 (UTC), ERSHC
> wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:50:16 -0700, BakerBoy > wrote:
>
>> It's good to see someone from "the old crew" posting here. Baked any good
>> bread lately? Anybody?
>>

>Sure. I do every week or two, with my "starved" starter that lives
>in the back of the fridge. Somehow it revives every time with just
>one feeding, no 3 stage Deitmold process.
>
>But what's the point of posting if DA isn't around to abuse us?

He used to drink all the hooch just before posting...

[]'s

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Apr 1, 8:56*am, Shadow > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 02:56:19 +0000 (UTC), ERSHC
>
> > wrote:
> >On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:50:16 -0700, BakerBoy > wrote:

> >> It's good to see someone from "the old crew" posting here. *Baked any good
> >> bread lately? *Anybody?

> >Sure. I do every week or two, with my "starved" starter that lives
> >in the back of the fridge. Somehow it revives every time with just
> >one feeding, no 3 stage Deitmold process.

> >But what's the point of posting if DA isn't around to abuse us?

> * * * * He used to drink all the hooch just before posting...
> * * * *
> * * * * []'s

Deitmold???

What kinda mold is that?
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 10:20:11 -0700 (PDT), Dick Adams > wrote:
> On Apr 1, 8:56*am, Shadow > wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 02:56:19 +0000 (UTC), ERSHC
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Sure. I do every week or two, with my "starved" starter that lives
>> >in the back of the fridge. Somehow it revives every time with just
>> >one feeding, no 3 stage Deitmold process.

>> >But what's the point of posting if DA isn't around to abuse us?

>> * * * * He used to drink all the hooch just before posting...
>> * * * *
>> * * * * []'s

> Deitmold???
>
> What kinda mold is that?

The kind that shrinks instead of grows!
--
Seek it with thimbles, seek it with care; Persue it with forks and hope.
Threaten its life with a railway share; Charm it with smiles and soap.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

bakerboy posted:
"It's good to see someone from "the old crew" posting here. Baked any
good
bread lately? Anybody?"

I still bake SD every 10 days to 2 weeks. I still use both my
homemade Rye starter, and Carl's. I used Carl's for Pizza, and other
baking since I keep that a white starter. Good results most of the
time. (I usually add a ground little (t to T) barley malt.) Slashing
technique taught by the young French baker, Vince, was very helpful
with improving the appearance of my french loaves....the rye too. All
of you helped me become a successful SD baker....a better tasting loaf
than any available locally.

I see that you are on Facebook, Dicky.

Lucy
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Apr 4, 11:53*am, trix > wrote:
>*I still use both my homemade Rye starter, and Carl's . . .
> Good results most of the time. . .

Carl's starter is still being distributed, but the website has been
moved to http://carlsfriends.net or *.org. It has been getting
about 100 hits each day, and sometimes over a hundred starts
ship weekly. Why don't you send in a little photo essay about
your bread results (the good ones)?

Darrell's FAQ is still available, but it seems he does prefer the
periodic posing if it anymore now that the newsgroup is mostly
about clothing- and shoe knockoffs:

http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

> I see that you are on Facebook, Dicky.

Well, ya know Lucy, fools names as fools faces do often
there. Are you sure you got the right Dicky?

Sometimes I think that CarlsFriends should appear on
Facebook, but I am afraid that the crew would be
overwhelmed.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Apr 5, 10:03*am, Dick Adams said:

>" Well, ya know Lucy, fools names as fools faces do often
> there. *Are you sure you got the right Dicky?"

I only think this is you because Facebook suggests you as a 'friend'
probably because we've possibly exchanged emails in the past.

I just sent in a few photos per your suggestion...Here are a couple of
those photos (if I remember how to post photos here):

Lucy

Sourdough + Chocolate? Mike Romain Sourdough 2 16-02-2008 02:44 PM
Sourdough Chocolate Cake Tim Recipes 0 21-12-2005 11:35 AM
Chocolate in Sourdough? Roy Sourdough 0 01-07-2005 03:34 AM
chocolate cake with melt chocolate inside michelle Baking 10 23-10-2004 06:34 AM
Chocolate Heart Layer Cake with Chocolate Cinnamon Mousse Duckie ® Recipes 0 01-05-2004 11:25 PM