Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default More about sourdough yeast

I have been watching this group without much comment for a month or so,
Income tax preparation is getting me down and I am looking for an excuse
to avoid that.

As I read some of the responses, I wonder how old San Francisco
sourdoughs, people not breads, managed. They did not have thermometers
or refrigeration. I suppose they could have used stream water and sealed
containers as long as they didn't gas too much. I don't think they
lavished loving care on their sourdough starter as some of the posters
do. I suppose they baked every day so their starters were refreshed
often. Did they have tasty bread? Were they satisfied with inferior
bread as long as they could work their claims? Are tasty sourdough
breads a relatively recent development when professional bakers and
talented amateurs were able to bestow TLC to their starters?

If I were a 49er, I would probably just eat what I got without going the
extra mile to get truly good bread.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mar 20, 2:45*pm, Salmon Egg > wrote:
> I have been watching this group without much comment for a month or so,
> Income tax preparation is getting me down and I am looking for an excuse
> to avoid that.
>
> As I read some of the responses, I wonder how old San Francisco
> sourdoughs, people not breads, managed. They did not have thermometers
> or refrigeration. I suppose they could have used stream water and sealed
> containers as long as they didn't gas too much. I don't think they
> lavished loving care on their sourdough starter as some of the posters
> do. I suppose they baked every day so their starters were refreshed
> often. Did they have tasty bread? Were they satisfied with inferior
> bread as long as they could work their claims? Are tasty sourdough
> breads a relatively recent development when professional bakers and
> talented amateurs were able to bestow TLC to their starters?
>
> If I were a 49er, I would probably just eat what I got without going the
> extra mile to get truly good bread.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> An old man would be better off never having been born.

They had better products, better ovens and few thousand years old
tradition of craftsmanship!
Today we are just rediscovering the wheel (I struggle to find decent
products, decently behaving oven and knowledge of baking bread)
So yes! I think they did have better bread
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I make my Sourdough Starter in earth ware or a crock and I do not
refrigeratior that will kill the action. and turn out fine check out
all of the recipes I posted

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 07:45:31 -0700, Salmon Egg
> wrote:

>refrigeration

San Francisco yeast for sourdough pancakces. Rhubarbpieguy Sourdough 11 19-09-2014 01:51 PM
More about sourdough yeast Secret_Ingredient[_2_] Sourdough 0 19-06-2011 05:44 PM
Sourdough=spook yeast? pj Sourdough 3 11-02-2006 08:57 PM
Slashing -- sourdough vs. yeast breads smdgl Sourdough 5 03-03-2005 12:13 AM
Sourdough starter from commercial yeast? Fred Sourdough 2 07-04-2004 02:53 AM