Member

Default sourdough-phobic

I have recently been looking into making sourdough bread from scratch but am afraid i will mess it up. can anyone give me tips on how to make this process foolproof? i have worked with yeast before for pizza dough and other breads but never sourdough.

thanks!
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

thekitchen-aide wrote:

> I have recently been looking into making sourdough bread from scratch
> but am afraid i will mess it up. can anyone give me tips on how to make
> this process foolproof?

Foolpoof? Use this:
<http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/alaskan-sourdough-yeast-bread-mix>

Just like what you get in the supermarket!

> i have worked with yeast before for pizza dough
> and other breads but never sourdough.
>
> thanks!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 17:00:04 +0000, thekitchen-aide
> wrote:

>I have recently been looking into making sourdough bread from scratch
>but am afraid i will mess it up. can anyone give me tips on how to make
>this process foolproof? i have worked with yeast before for pizza dough
>and other breads but never sourdough.
>
>thanks!

From scratch, it's a hit-and-miss process, but it always ends
up OK(eventually). The most you can lose is a few cents of flour and
an hour or so time.
Read the FAQ.
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
[]'s
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

After you have an active starter use try recipe:

carlsfriends.net/dickpics/Instructions_Rev.doc

You can obtain a starter free here with a SSAE44:
http://carlsfriends.net/source.html

The FAQ posted here has easy instructions to start one yourself:

In a 1 pint ball jar or similar, I used a small amount a T to 1/8 cup
more or less of fresh ground RYE flour and the same amount of filtered
rain water...you can use spring or well water as long as it has no
chlorine. Cover with a cloth, each day you take out 1/2 contents each
day and discard then replenish with same ingredients. You should see
activity/bubbles by 4 - 6 days and it should double+ in volume. I
am writing this from memory which is a bit dim since it has been
several years. Try and find a recipe in the FAQ that is for just the
2 ingredients. It can be white unbleached flour instead of rye.
Carl's is a white flour starter. You really need very little final
starter to make loaves...Each starter produces some slightly different
results. It may take a few weeks baking for your new starter to fully
develop.

I store my starter in the fridge in a small anchor/pyrex container
with a cover. I take it out the night before I want to make bread.
Put it in a bowl with a 1/2 cup or so of water and 1/2 cup or so of
rye flour. (mine is a rye starter...can be used to make white bread or
rye or any other sourdough product. Set it overnight...in the morning
You need to remember to put aside a tablespoon or so of starter for
the next time putting it back into the container then follow Dick
Adam's billowy loaves instructions. You don't need anything more than
water, starter, flour, and salt to make basic sourdough bread. When I
make rye bread I use half rye flour and half unbleached white. I use
celtic sea salt or 'real' salt. Don't use chlorinated water and don't
use a stainless steel bowl or utensils. If I bake the bread at 9
that night or so I usually produce nicely sour loaves. If I bake a
few hours earlier...not so much.

I usually will make pizza around 6. Sourdough bread doesn't always
have to have a sour flavor. You can use it to make cinnamon rolls to
savory breads and every thing in between.

As an insurance take a bit of your active starter and smear a thin
film of it on some wax paper or plastic wrap and set it to dry. When
fully dried break it into small pieces and put it in a little glad
container and put it in the fridge. It will last indefinitely and make
it easy to reactivate should you forget to return some starter to your
container a time or two...then it won't be the end of the world.

Look up Samartha's sourdough website or innerlodge for some other info
and recipes.

Lucy
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

trix wrote:
> After you have an active starter use try recipe:
>
> carlsfriends.net/dickpics/Instructions_Rev.doc
>
> You can obtain a starter free here with a SSAE44:
> http://carlsfriends.net/source.html
>
> The FAQ posted here has easy instructions to start one yourself:
>
> In a 1 pint ball jar or similar, I used a small amount a T to 1/8 cup
> more or less of fresh ground RYE flour and the same amount of filtered
> rain water...you can use spring or well water as long as it has no
> chlorine. Cover with a cloth, each day you take out 1/2 contents each
> day and discard then replenish with same ingredients. You should see
> activity/bubbles by 4 - 6 days and it should double+ in volume. I
> am writing this from memory which is a bit dim since it has been
> several years. Try and find a recipe in the FAQ that is for just the
> 2 ingredients. It can be white unbleached flour instead of rye.
> Carl's is a white flour starter. You really need very little final
> starter to make loaves...Each starter produces some slightly different
> results. It may take a few weeks baking for your new starter to fully
> develop. [snip]

My starter was started with rye flour. I fed it with white flour
(bleached, unbleached, or bread flour, whichever is handy) and tap
water, but once I got it where it was stable, I keep it in the fridge
and I don't feed it often.

The morning before I'm going to bake, I take the starter out and give
it a big feeding of rye flour and warm water, and I leave it out on
the kitchen counter. That night I pour the starter (about a generous
1/2 cup) into a bread machine and add 1 pound of bread flour and a cup
of water with a tsp of salt dissolved in it. I run the machine thru a
full "dough" cycle, then transfer the ball of dough to a greased
Corningware dish, flip it once (this oils the top) and put the lid on.

I put a small handful of bread flour in the starter bowl and enough
water so it looks like thick pancake batter. I leave it out
overnight, then put it in the fridge the next morning when I bake the
bread. It might be better to make the dough early in the morning and
then watch it in the afternoon and bake when it's ready because
sometimes it rises a lot faster than others.

This makes a nicely-flavored chewy mild loaf, and it gets more sour as
the week goes by (I'm the only one who eats it, and it takes me a week
to eat a loaf) It makes great toast.

If I go 2 or 3 weeks without baking, 2 days before baking I'll feed
the starter, then throw away half of it, then feed it big with rye. I
like the flavor (and gray color) a little bit of rye give the bread.

This may not be the right way to doit, but it's certainly not the
wrong way. (It's my way. :-)

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Check out the recipes I posted

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 17:00:04 +0000, thekitchen-aide
> wrote:

>I have recently been looking into making sourdough bread from scratch
>but am afraid i will mess it up. can anyone give me tips on how to make
>this process foolproof? i have worked with yeast before for pizza dough
>and other breads but never sourdough.
>
>thanks!

Converting Sourdough Formula To Non-Sourdough Formula KMIAA Baking 0 27-06-2011 08:28 PM
help with sourdough [email protected] Sourdough 16 07-05-2006 10:17 PM
Fun with sourdough Cindy Fuller Baking 0 28-04-2006 04:27 AM
Sourdough Rye Tim Recipes 0 21-12-2005 12:37 PM
first try at rye sourdough Mike Dilger Sourdough 1 21-10-2003 06:32 AM