FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   Alaska Jack Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/399374-alaska-jack-sourdough.html)

Monte[_2_] 05-08-2010 04:18 PM

Alaska Jack Sourdough

Someone just sent me some of this. I've used Carl's starter for ages,
but was wondering if this is worth a try?

Graham 05-08-2010 05:12 PM

Alaska Jack Sourdough

"Monte" > wrote in message
> Someone just sent me some of this. I've used Carl's starter for ages,
> but was wondering if this is worth a try?

Why not? What have you got to lose? Maybe a pound of flour.

Boron Elgar 05-08-2010 06:20 PM

Alaska Jack Sourdough

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:18:19 -0700 (PDT), Monte >
wrote:

>Someone just sent me some of this. I've used Carl's starter for ages,
>but was wondering if this is worth a try?

It is always fun trying a new starter - at least I Think so, but then
I am liable to have 5-7 going at any one time.

As long as the start-up and stabilization doesn't bother you, why not
try it and see how you like it. Flour and water are might cheap and
you may be surprised.

Boron

Phil 22-10-2010 05:44 PM

Alaska Jack Sourdough

Hello Boron,

Do you still have any of the Yukon Jack starter I sent you many years
ago? I recently moved and mine didn't survive. Somehow even the original
book got lost too. :(

Thanks,
Phil (Albuquerque)

Hero2011 18-07-2011 04:58 AM

Thanks for sharing this information! It's very interesting,I think so!

Richard Walker 12-11-2019 11:28 PM

Alaska Jack Sourdough

On Friday, October 22, 2010 at 11:44:57 AM UTC-5, Phil wrote:
> Hello Boron,
>
> Do you still have any of the Yukon Jack starter I sent you many years
> ago? I recently moved and mine didn't survive. Somehow even the original
> book got lost too. :(
>
> Thanks,
> Phil (Albuquerque)
>

> Boron Elgar wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:18:19 -0700 (PDT), Monte >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Someone just sent me some of this. I've used Carl's starter for ages,
> >> but was wondering if this is worth a try?
> >>

> > It is always fun trying a new starter - at least I Think so, but then
> > I am liable to have 5-7 going at any one time.
> >
> > As long as the start-up and stabilization doesn't bother you, why not
> > try it and see how you like it. Flour and water are might cheap and
> > you may be surprised.
> >
> > Boron

I've got the book. I'm toying with rewriting his recipes into a more concise format. One that has starter / poolish / dough and you don't have to search in different parts of the book.