Member

Default Sourdough Pancakes

I have worked out baking bread with Sourdough as the only leaven and it rises well with a great texture.Pancakes are another story.To get a nice fluffy pancake I have added 1 t baking soda and 1 t baking powder.I have tried with out and the pancakes are rubbery.I have thought about mixing my recipe and letting it set for about an hour to get the sourdough active then bake but am worried that milk and egg might not be good eats after setting for awhile.

Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Jun 2, 6:52*am, jedc53 >
wrote:
> [ ... ]
> I have thought about mixing
> my recipe and letting it set for about an hour to get the sourdough
> active then bake. Any suggestions?

Point of SD pan cakes is to fizz up the sourdough acid with baking
soda then cook real quick before deflation. Best reason for SD
pancakes is to get rid of excess over-sour starter. Auntie J's mix
beats the shit out of SD for pancakes.

(Yes, friends, Dicky is still here.)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

jedc53 > wrote:
> I have worked out baking bread with Sourdough as the only leaven and it
> rises well with a great texture.Pancakes are another story.To get a nice
> fluffy pancake I have added 1 t baking soda and 1 t baking powder.I have
> tried with out and the pancakes are rubbery.I have thought about mixing
> my recipe and letting it set for about an hour to get the sourdough
> active then bake but am worried that milk and egg might not be good eats
> after setting for awhile.
>
> Any suggestions?

I've done these. From Carl's. Very good!

Alaska Sourdough pancakes. Serves 6? (2nd try)

To ½ cup of starter add 1 cup of warm water, and 1¼ to 1½ cups of flour.
Let sit for 8-12 hours at 85 F.

After proofing, RETURN ¼ cup of culture to the culture jar. Add 2 Tbs of
white flour and 2 Tbs of warm water and proof at 85 deg. F. for one hour.
Then refrigerate immediately.

To the remaining sourdough, (1½ cups?) add
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 TBS. Honey

Beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon.

Combine in a separate cup:
1 teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoon baking soda

Blend together until smooth. Sprinkle evenly over the dough and gently
fold the dry ingredients into the batter. Heat up a griddle until fairly
hot, add a little butter, then pour batter by the tablespoon on the
griddle. The pancakes should cook quickly.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

jedc53 wrote:
> I have worked out baking bread with Sourdough as the only leaven and
> it rises well with a great texture.Pancakes are another story.To get
> a nice fluffy pancake I have added 1 t baking soda and 1 t baking
> powder.I have tried with out and the pancakes are rubbery.I have
> thought about mixing my recipe and letting it set for about an hour
> to get the sourdough active then bake but am worried that milk and
> egg might not be good eats after setting for awhile.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hello 'jedc53'! I wouldn't worry about your milk & eggs for the few hours
or so making these will take.

While there are thousands of SD pancake recipies out there, you're welcome
to steal the one I use off of my site:
http://tinyurl.com/27uweql

Hello 'Dicky'...good to see you around, bud.

L8r,
Dusty
--
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual
ignorance." -- Henry Louis Mencken