Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default ph for bacteria and yeast balance

My San Fran starter has got quite active but low flavour. Ed Woods
from Sourdo.com suggests keeping at 30C for a few days. He also says
that if the bacteria get too dominant and acidic that the yeast could
be diminished quite a lot and low volume etc. I have not as yet got
into measuring ph would have to buy a tester ( any suggestions). Is it
worthwhile measuring ph and what is the ph range for a good balance of
bacteria and yeast. Paddy
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Ed Woods sure is right in what you quote.

With the pH - it gets boring after a while - up from 4.5 - 5.5 and down
to 3.9, with the next feeding it all repeats.

Since with SD pH, 0.1 degrees matter, you'll need a pH meter with 0.01
accuracy and those are fairly expensive.
Hanna HI 99161 is a food pH meter.

It's not just the pH meter for measuring. It needs to be calibrated
before measuring and for that calibration liquids for the upper and
lower ranges pH 4 and 14 are required.
Also cleaning and storage fluids are needed for the head or it dries out.

If you want to spend the effort, go for it.

I think to get consistent results with SD, you'll need to control
temperature, time and amounts.
To figure out a change, keep everything constant and change one
parameter then you can compare what is doing what.
There are many screws to turn:
Temperature, hydration, time, feeding amount relative to whole flour in
starter and what else have you.

I think a digital thermometer, calculator and a gram scale would give
you much more mileage than a pH meter.
Water bath regulated with aquarium heaters does it very well for me.

With pH measuring, if you want to do it prudent, you could try to get
measuring stripes from a science store.

Have you thought of using higher ash flours (whole grain) to influence
taste - the critters can do more work with those flours (buffering) and
they may like the additional minerals to produce more taste.

Have fun!

Sam

..

http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough

yeast/bacteria balance WRK Sourdough 11 18-09-2006 10:14 PM
yeast/bacteria balance padriac Sourdough 3 17-09-2006 07:11 PM
yeast/bacteria balance Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 14-09-2006 02:34 PM
yeast/bacteria balance Jeff Miller Sourdough 2 13-09-2006 06:05 PM
yeast/bacteria balance Mike Avery Sourdough 1 13-09-2006 09:35 AM