Wcsjohn

Default An Apology......

...... to Jersey Devil and the Newsgroup.

I have been inexcusably and unjustifiably rude to a respected member of this
Newsgroup and I apologise, unreservedly and of my own volition, to him and you
all.

If I have differences with JD or any other member of the Newsgroup I will, in
future, conduct myself in the Oriental fashion, becoming more polite as the
magnitude of our disagreement grows.

John (When Will You Learn to Keep Silent) Wright
Jersey Devil

Wcsjohn

>JD says: I am sure you have many good things to add to the group so post
>away---I want to know more about Dr Dalgleish and his bread--I may be
>wrong but I think he was the one who chopped off a womans head some
>place way back in history
>

>Jersey
>Devil

I misspelt the name - should have read "Dauglish"

Isabella Beeton's original "Book of Household Management" had this to say about
Dr Dauglish's process

"AERATED BREAD.€”It is not unknown to some of our readers that Dr. Dauglish,
of Malvern, has recently patented a process for making bread €ślight€ť
without the use of leaven. The ordinary process of bread-making by fermentation
is tedious, and much labour of human hands is requisite in the kneading, in
order that the dough may be thoroughly interpenetrated with the leaven. The new
process impregnates the bread, by the application of machinery, with carbonic
acid gas, or fixed air. Different opinions are expressed about the bread; but
it is curious to note, that, as corn is now reaped by machinery, and dough is
baked by machinery, the whole process of bread-making is probably in course of
undergoing changes which will emancipate both the housewife and the
professional baker from a large amount of labour.

In the production of AĂ«rated Bread, wheaten flour, water, salt, and carbonic
acid gas (generated by proper machinery), are the only materials employed. We
need not inform our readers that carbonic acid gas is the source of the
effervescence, whether in common water coming from a depth, or in lemonade, or
any aërated drink. Its action, in the new bread, takes the place of
fermentation in the old.

In the patent process, the dough is mixed in a great iron ball, inside which is
a system of paddles, perpetually turning, and doing the kneading part of the
business. Into this globe the flour is dropped till it is full, and then the
common atmospheric air is pumped out, and the pure gas turned on. The gas is
followed by the water, which has been aërated for the purpose, and then begins
the churning or kneading part of the business.

Of course, it is not long before we have the dough, and very €ślight€ť and
nice it looks. This is caught in tins, and passed on to the floor of the oven,
which is an endless floor, moving slowly through the fire. Done to a turn, the
loaves emerge at the other end of the apartment,€”and the AĂ«rated Bread is
made."

The bread, by all accounts was somewhat bland, none of the flavours of
fermentation that we all know and love but was popular and sold in the Aerated
Bread Company (ABC) teahouses.

There is a very old strand of Christian thought that equates "leaven"
(biological raising agents, commercial yeast or SD) with "corruption" and those
who believe that association to be valid, will not eat bread raised by such a
leaven.

Love

John
Brian Mailman

Wcsjohn wrote:

> There is a very old strand of Christian thought that equates "leaven"
> (biological raising agents, commercial yeast or SD) with "corruption" and those
> who believe that association to be valid, will not eat bread raised by such a
> leaven.

It rather predates that by some centuries and involves a Jewish holiday
where leavened products are not eaten. There are some differing
opinions as to why, but one of the more mystical/mythical is having to
do with anagrams and the shape of one of the letters ... wait, I wrote
about this in a column, lemme look it up. Ah, here it is...
""Matzo/matzah" and "chametz" are anagrams (MTZH/KHMTZ) but with one
important difference. The Hebrew letter "hey," the last letter in
matzo/matzah _breaks_ its left leg in "chametz" to become "chet" or the
first letter of "chayt" or "sin." This tells us that sin is a broken
act...."

B/
Steve B

Hi Brian,

Unless I misunderstood you, I believe the Hebrew letter "hey" is the one
with the 'broken' left leg, not the "chet". Therefore, it would be the
"chet" that would have to 'break' its left leg to become a 'hey".

- Steve Brandt

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Wcsjohn wrote:
>
>> There is a very old strand of Christian thought that equates "leaven"
>> (biological raising agents, commercial yeast or SD) with "corruption" and
>> those
>> who believe that association to be valid, will not eat bread raised by
>> such a
>> leaven.

> It rather predates that by some centuries and involves a Jewish holiday
> where leavened products are not eaten. There are some differing opinions
> as to why, but one of the more mystical/mythical is having to do with
> anagrams and the shape of one of the letters ... wait, I wrote about this
> in a column, lemme look it up. Ah, here it is... ""Matzo/matzah" and
> "chametz" are anagrams (MTZH/KHMTZ) but with one important difference. The
> Hebrew letter "hey," the last letter in matzo/matzah _breaks_ its left leg
> in "chametz" to become "chet" or the first letter of "chayt" or "sin."
> This tells us that sin is a broken act...."
>
> B/

Wcsjohn

>Wcsjohn wrote:
>
>> There is a very old strand of Christian thought that equates "leaven"
>> (biological raising agents, commercial yeast or SD) with "corruption" and

>those
>> who believe that association to be valid, will not eat bread raised by such

>> leaven.

>It rather predates that by some centuries and involves a Jewish holiday
>where leavened products are not eaten. There are some differing
>opinions as to why, but one of the more mystical/mythical is having to
>do with anagrams and the shape of one of the letters ... wait, I wrote
>about this in a column, lemme look it up. Ah, here it is...
>""Matzo/matzah" and "chametz" are anagrams (MTZH/KHMTZ) but with one
>important difference. The Hebrew letter "hey," the last letter in
>matzo/matzah _breaks_ its left leg in "chametz" to become "chet" or the
>first letter of "chayt" or "sin." This tells us that sin is a broken
>act...."
>
>B/

Agreed,

The Passover dietary requirements do indeed predate and may well be the origin
of the Christian aversion to leaven.

I remember my Maternal Grandfather, who broke his Mother's heart by marrying a
Gentile, telling me of the, to an outsider, extraordinary precautions taken to
avoid fermented grains, during Passover.

John

Dave Bell

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Wcsjohn wrote:

> >JD says: I am sure you have many good things to add to the group so post
> >away---I want to know more about Dr Dalgleish and his bread--I may be
> >wrong but I think he was the one who chopped off a womans head some
> >place way back in history
> >Jersey
> >Devil
> >

> I misspelt the name - should have read "Dauglish"
>
> Love
>
> John

I searched for the phrase, when it was first mentioned. Interesting that
the first hit referenced it's appearance in literatu

"It was now dark, and I was tired and hungry. I got a cup of tea at the
Aerated Bread Company and came down to Purfleet by the next train."

"Dracula", Bram Stoker...

Dave

Apology playas General Cooking 0 17-11-2015 11:03 PM
An apology Harry Buskin General Cooking 6 09-01-2009 03:34 PM
Apology Mike Morton Tea 1 11-07-2008 03:52 PM
The Apology - L. Credit Where Due T.[_4_] General Cooking 0 02-06-2007 10:22 PM
Apology L. Credit Where Due T.[_4_] General Cooking 0 02-06-2007 10:21 PM