Old 23-09-2004, 04:20 AM
Ed Bechtel

Default OT Help! Anybody Ever Enter Contest?

Every year the local newspaper has a recipe contest. Finally my wife tells me
to send in a recipe. I sent in Sourdough Kalamata Olive Pepper Jack bread
recipe.
Then I get a call and am told I am a finalist... Bring your food to the mall on
Saturday.

I've never done this. It certainly was a case of the Heisenberg uncertainty
principal that they picked this recipe, (maybe they are tired of banana nut
breads).

So.., What do I do? Does one cut the bread in advance, or bring a bread knife
and hope the judge doesn't hit a major artery? Should one include a spread
like cream cheese to mask the otherwise bizarre flavor of rosemary and
jalepeno?

Seriously. Any advice is welcome. I don't want to look like I'm not a
professional contest entrant!

Ed Bechtel

Old 23-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Dick Adams

"Ed Bechtel" wrote in message =

... recipe contest ... I sent in Sourdough Kalamata Olive Pepper=20
Jack bread recipe ... I am a finalist... Does one cut the bread in=20
advance?

I never entered a contest, but every now and then I take in a couple of
loaves to the folks where I used to work. It is quite amazing to see=20
how they will butcher and/or tear up an uncut loaf, even though I have
left cheap serrated knives and bread boards there from time to time.

My recommendation: cut several slices in advance, maybe up to
half the loaf. Package the bread, particularly the slices, so drying
out does not occur. Bring an attractive bread board.

(An electric knife can, in the right hands, cut quite beautiful slices, =
even
if the loaf is still a bit soft, which I think it should be, though =
perhaps
not everybody would agree.)

Should one include a spread?

A bit of butter with a cheap spreader might be good. It should be
attractively packaged in a disposable container. Like the bread board,=20
it might or might not be put into play.

So I guess you will post a picture of your entry/presentation before it
is ravaged by the judges?

---
DickA

Old 23-09-2004, 02:59 PM
graham

"Dick Adams" wrote in message

"Ed Bechtel" wrote in message

... recipe contest ... I sent in Sourdough Kalamata Olive Pepper
Jack bread recipe ... I am a finalist... Does one cut the bread in
advance?

I never entered a contest, but every now and then I take in a couple of
loaves to the folks where I used to work. It is quite amazing to see
how they will butcher and/or tear up an uncut loaf, even though I have
left cheap serrated knives and bread boards there from time to time.

My recommendation: cut several slices in advance, maybe up to
half the loaf. Package the bread, particularly the slices, so drying
out does not occur. Bring an attractive bread board.

Why not take two loaves? One for display and one cut.
Graham

Old 23-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Wcsjohn

Well done, Ed,

I bake for local village fete competitions, nothing too serious but I have
learned a few pointers.

An excellent presentation, that looks good and is very convenient for the
judges, is to make both a big loaf and a batch of little rolls from the same
dough. That way bread is available for tasting without having to cut the loaf.

Pay special attention to the visual aspect. If the loaf or rolls are slashed,
be extra precise in your slashing. Take great pains to ensure even glaze, if
used. If you're scattering seeeds onto the bread make them as even as
possible.The best (if a little messy) way to obtain an even spread is to
sprinkle the seeds from about 3 feet above the bread. I just put them on the
kitchen floor and the scattered seeds that bounce are easy to sweep up.

If you're really serious about this, bake 2 loaves and 2 batches of rolls and
take the best looking with you. You can eat the restg

If you can, bake the bread on the morning of the competition, freshly baked
bread has a much better appearnce and taste.

Whatever you do, don't let the bread look underbaked, pale bread is not
appetising to most people.

If your local competitive bakers are anything like the ones in these here
parts, be prepared for petty jealousies, snide comments and backstabbing
character assassination and, if you think you have a chance of winning as a
newbie, park your car, with the engine running, close to the car park exit in
case a quick escape is needed.g

Don't assume that the judges know anything about the finer points of bread.

If the rules allow it, I normally have a small dish of butter and a little bowl
of EVOO for the judges and a dish of cream cheese would be a good idea.

Don't pack your bread in plastic bags or wrap, for transport, they can destroy
a crust's crispness in an hour or 2. Use towels.

HTH

Love

John

Old 23-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Brian Mailman

Ed Bechtel wrote:

Seriously. Any advice is welcome. I don't want to look like I'm not a
professional contest entrant!

Ask in rec.food.preserving. Many of those folks are fair contest
entrants and may have seen breads, even though bread is kinda OT for them.

B/

Old 23-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Ellen

"Ed Bechtel" wrote in message

[...]

Congratulations! I suppose I would bake 2 loaves and then slice several
slices or half the loaf that looks the worst :-) And bring a knife to slice
more if they want more. You can arrange it all on a suitable plate. Actually
I might bake 2 on Friday and then get up at the crack of dawn and bake 2
more on Saturday -- just in case there is a crisis Sat morning you will have
backup bread. If you think that cream cheese enhances the flavor of the
bread then I would bring it.

So do the rest of us get the recipe so we can contemplate rosemary and
jalapeno together :-)

You need to tell us all where the mall is so anyone local can wander over,
stand in front of your bread and make suitable complimentary comments about
it ...

Ellen

Old 23-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Wcsjohn

Hi John,

With respect, I do not agree... Many breads taste best a few days
after they are baked.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

You are of course perfectly correct.

The breads I bake for competion are all high rise, commercial yeast breads,
Chollah, Brioche, Cheese Breads which are best when not long cooled down. I'm
afraid I just wrote my post with that mindset.

That plus a truly dreadful short-term memory that had me forgetting in which
forum I was.g

John "Why did I come into the Kitchen?" Wright.