Ed Bechtel

Default OT Help! Anybody Ever Enter Contest?

Every year the local newspaper has a recipe contest. Finally my wife tells me
to send in a recipe. I sent in Sourdough Kalamata Olive Pepper Jack bread
recipe.
Then I get a call and am told I am a finalist... Bring your food to the mall on
Saturday.

I've never done this. It certainly was a case of the Heisenberg uncertainty
principal that they picked this recipe, (maybe they are tired of banana nut
breads).

So.., What do I do? Does one cut the bread in advance, or bring a bread knife
and hope the judge doesn't hit a major artery? Should one include a spread
like cream cheese to mask the otherwise bizarre flavor of rosemary and
jalepeno?

Seriously. Any advice is welcome. I don't want to look like I'm not a
professional contest entrant!

Ed Bechtel

Dick Adams

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message =

> ... recipe contest ... I sent in Sourdough Kalamata Olive Pepper=20
> Jack bread recipe ... I am a finalist... Does one cut the bread in=20
> advance?

I never entered a contest, but every now and then I take in a couple of
loaves to the folks where I used to work. It is quite amazing to see=20
how they will butcher and/or tear up an uncut loaf, even though I have
left cheap serrated knives and bread boards there from time to time.

My recommendation: cut several slices in advance, maybe up to
half the loaf. Package the bread, particularly the slices, so drying
out does not occur. Bring an attractive bread board.

(An electric knife can, in the right hands, cut quite beautiful slices, =
even
if the loaf is still a bit soft, which I think it should be, though =
perhaps
not everybody would agree.)

> Should one include a spread?

A bit of butter with a cheap spreader might be good. It should be
attractively packaged in a disposable container. Like the bread board,=20
it might or might not be put into play.

So I guess you will post a picture of your entry/presentation before it
is ravaged by the judges?

---
DickA

graham

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message

> ... recipe contest ... I sent in Sourdough Kalamata Olive Pepper
> Jack bread recipe ... I am a finalist... Does one cut the bread in
> advance?

I never entered a contest, but every now and then I take in a couple of
loaves to the folks where I used to work. It is quite amazing to see
how they will butcher and/or tear up an uncut loaf, even though I have
left cheap serrated knives and bread boards there from time to time.

My recommendation: cut several slices in advance, maybe up to
half the loaf. Package the bread, particularly the slices, so drying
out does not occur. Bring an attractive bread board.

Why not take two loaves? One for display and one cut.
Graham

Wcsjohn

Well done, Ed,

I bake for local village fete competitions, nothing too serious but I have
learned a few pointers.

An excellent presentation, that looks good and is very convenient for the
judges, is to make both a big loaf and a batch of little rolls from the same
dough. That way bread is available for tasting without having to cut the loaf.

Pay special attention to the visual aspect. If the loaf or rolls are slashed,
be extra precise in your slashing. Take great pains to ensure even glaze, if
used. If you're scattering seeeds onto the bread make them as even as
possible.The best (if a little messy) way to obtain an even spread is to
sprinkle the seeds from about 3 feet above the bread. I just put them on the
kitchen floor and the scattered seeds that bounce are easy to sweep up.

If you're really serious about this, bake 2 loaves and 2 batches of rolls and
take the best looking with you. You can eat the rest<g>

If you can, bake the bread on the morning of the competition, freshly baked
bread has a much better appearnce and taste.

Whatever you do, don't let the bread look underbaked, pale bread is not
appetising to most people.

If your local competitive bakers are anything like the ones in these here
parts, be prepared for petty jealousies, snide comments and backstabbing
character assassination and, if you think you have a chance of winning as a
newbie, park your car, with the engine running, close to the car park exit in
case a quick escape is needed.<g>

Don't assume that the judges know anything about the finer points of bread.

If the rules allow it, I normally have a small dish of butter and a little bowl
of EVOO for the judges and a dish of cream cheese would be a good idea.

Don't pack your bread in plastic bags or wrap, for transport, they can destroy
a crust's crispness in an hour or 2. Use towels.

HTH

Love

John

Brian Mailman

Ed Bechtel wrote:

> Seriously. Any advice is welcome. I don't want to look like I'm not a
> professional contest entrant!

Ask in rec.food.preserving. Many of those folks are fair contest
entrants and may have seen breads, even though bread is kinda OT for them.

B/
Brian Mailman

Ed Bechtel wrote:

> Seriously. Any advice is welcome. I don't want to look like I'm not a
> professional contest entrant!

Ask in rec.food.preserving. Many of those folks are fair contest
entrants and may have seen breads, even though bread is kinda OT for them.

B/
Ellen

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message

> Every year the local newspaper has a recipe contest. Finally my wife tells

me
> to send in a recipe. I sent in Sourdough Kalamata Olive Pepper Jack bread
> recipe.
> Then I get a call and am told I am a finalist... Bring your food to the

mall on
> Saturday.
>
> I've never done this. It certainly was a case of the Heisenberg

uncertainty
> principal that they picked this recipe, (maybe they are tired of banana

nut
> breads).
>
> So.., What do I do? Does one cut the bread in advance, or bring a bread

knife
> and hope the judge doesn't hit a major artery? Should one include a

spread
> like cream cheese to mask the otherwise bizarre flavor of rosemary and
> jalepeno?
>
> Seriously. Any advice is welcome. I don't want to look like I'm not a
> professional contest entrant!

Congratulations! I suppose I would bake 2 loaves and then slice several
slices or half the loaf that looks the worst :-) And bring a knife to slice
more if they want more. You can arrange it all on a suitable plate. Actually
I might bake 2 on Friday and then get up at the crack of dawn and bake 2
more on Saturday -- just in case there is a crisis Sat morning you will have
backup bread. If you think that cream cheese enhances the flavor of the
bread then I would bring it.

So do the rest of us get the recipe so we can contemplate rosemary and
jalapeno together :-)

You need to tell us all where the mall is so anyone local can wander over,
stand in front of your bread and make suitable complimentary comments about
it ...

Ellen

Ellen

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message

> Every year the local newspaper has a recipe contest. Finally my wife tells

me
> to send in a recipe. I sent in Sourdough Kalamata Olive Pepper Jack bread
> recipe.
> Then I get a call and am told I am a finalist... Bring your food to the

mall on
> Saturday.
>
> I've never done this. It certainly was a case of the Heisenberg

uncertainty
> principal that they picked this recipe, (maybe they are tired of banana

nut
> breads).
>
> So.., What do I do? Does one cut the bread in advance, or bring a bread

knife
> and hope the judge doesn't hit a major artery? Should one include a

spread
> like cream cheese to mask the otherwise bizarre flavor of rosemary and
> jalepeno?
>
> Seriously. Any advice is welcome. I don't want to look like I'm not a
> professional contest entrant!

Congratulations! I suppose I would bake 2 loaves and then slice several
slices or half the loaf that looks the worst :-) And bring a knife to slice
more if they want more. You can arrange it all on a suitable plate. Actually
I might bake 2 on Friday and then get up at the crack of dawn and bake 2
more on Saturday -- just in case there is a crisis Sat morning you will have
backup bread. If you think that cream cheese enhances the flavor of the
bread then I would bring it.

So do the rest of us get the recipe so we can contemplate rosemary and
jalapeno together :-)

You need to tell us all where the mall is so anyone local can wander over,
stand in front of your bread and make suitable complimentary comments about
it ...

Ellen

Ellen

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message

> Every year the local newspaper has a recipe contest. Finally my wife tells

me
> to send in a recipe. I sent in Sourdough Kalamata Olive Pepper Jack bread
> recipe.
> Then I get a call and am told I am a finalist... Bring your food to the

mall on
> Saturday.
>
> I've never done this. It certainly was a case of the Heisenberg

uncertainty
> principal that they picked this recipe, (maybe they are tired of banana

nut
> breads).
>
> So.., What do I do? Does one cut the bread in advance, or bring a bread

knife
> and hope the judge doesn't hit a major artery? Should one include a

spread
> like cream cheese to mask the otherwise bizarre flavor of rosemary and
> jalepeno?
>
> Seriously. Any advice is welcome. I don't want to look like I'm not a
> professional contest entrant!

Congratulations! I suppose I would bake 2 loaves and then slice several
slices or half the loaf that looks the worst :-) And bring a knife to slice
more if they want more. You can arrange it all on a suitable plate. Actually
I might bake 2 on Friday and then get up at the crack of dawn and bake 2
more on Saturday -- just in case there is a crisis Sat morning you will have
backup bread. If you think that cream cheese enhances the flavor of the
bread then I would bring it.

So do the rest of us get the recipe so we can contemplate rosemary and
jalapeno together :-)

You need to tell us all where the mall is so anyone local can wander over,
stand in front of your bread and make suitable complimentary comments about
it ...

Ellen

Wcsjohn

>Hi John,
>
>With respect, I do not agree... Many breads taste best a few days
>after they are baked.
>
>All the best,
>
>--
>Kenneth

You are of course perfectly correct.

The breads I bake for competion are all high rise, commercial yeast breads,
Chollah, Brioche, Cheese Breads which are best when not long cooled down. I'm
afraid I just wrote my post with that mindset.

That plus a truly dreadful short-term memory that had me forgetting in which
forum I was.<g>

John "Why did I come into the Kitchen?" Wright.

Wcsjohn

>Hi John,
>
>With respect, I do not agree... Many breads taste best a few days
>after they are baked.
>
>All the best,
>
>--
>Kenneth

You are of course perfectly correct.

The breads I bake for competion are all high rise, commercial yeast breads,
Chollah, Brioche, Cheese Breads which are best when not long cooled down. I'm
afraid I just wrote my post with that mindset.

That plus a truly dreadful short-term memory that had me forgetting in which
forum I was.<g>

John "Why did I come into the Kitchen?" Wright.

Ed Bechtel

Thanks for the great advice everyone.

OK, I've gone and bought a board with a little dish for butter or cream cheese.
I started baking tonight so I can have at least a couple of loaves with
different vintage. I'm going to cut one up when I arrive and leave the better
looking one to display the slash marks. My loaves tend to be so dark that I
wonder if I might flour them to accent the slash marks.

The account of taking bread to the folks at work and them tearing the bread
apart despite having bread knives at hand is typical. It reminded me that once
I brought an OLIVE rosemary loaf to my work. This one guy told me the bread
tasted fine but he didn't care much for the RAISENS. I never told him.

I will take pictures and report results. The judging is at Ventura Pacific View
Mall (California) 11:30 am Saturday.

Thanks again,
Ed Bechtel

Ed Bechtel

I am back now from the Event.
The Sourdough Olive Pepper Jack bread took 2nd Place in breads.
The recipe goes in the annual cook book (read: newspaper insert) and I get a
$200 check - yea!!
Boy was I out of my league. Contestants went to great extremes to make their
presentations attractive especially in the other food categories such as
appetizer or main dish.

There is small picture of the Chefs from the local restaurants that did the
tasting and scoring.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/Bread/Tasting.jpg

I took a picture of the bread too.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/B...livePepper.jpg

Thanks for the advice from everyone. My original approach was going to be to
plop a loaf of bread on the table and let the judges figure it out. Slicing
the bread and providing butter helped a lot.

Ed Bechtel

PS.
It was fun to do this once, but in the future i think I will leave contests to
the professionals.

Dave Bell

Ed Bechtel wrote:
> I am back now from the Event.
> The Sourdough Olive Pepper Jack bread took 2nd Place in breads.
> The recipe goes in the annual cook book (read: newspaper insert) and I get a
> $200 check - yea!!
> Boy was I out of my league.

Not so out-of-league if you piked up a 2nd! Congratualtions!

Looks good, too...

Now - that recipe?

Dave
Dave Bell

Ed Bechtel wrote:
> I am back now from the Event.
> The Sourdough Olive Pepper Jack bread took 2nd Place in breads.
> The recipe goes in the annual cook book (read: newspaper insert) and I get a
> $200 check - yea!!
> Boy was I out of my league.

Not so out-of-league if you piked up a 2nd! Congratualtions!

Looks good, too...

Now - that recipe?

Dave
Dave Bell

Ed Bechtel wrote:
> I am back now from the Event.
> The Sourdough Olive Pepper Jack bread took 2nd Place in breads.
> The recipe goes in the annual cook book (read: newspaper insert) and I get a
> $200 check - yea!!
> Boy was I out of my league.

Not so out-of-league if you piked up a 2nd! Congratualtions!

Looks good, too...

Now - that recipe?

Dave
Kenneth

On 26 Sep 2004 00:23:41 GMT, ojunk (Ed Bechtel)
wrote:

>I am back now from the Event.
>The Sourdough Olive Pepper Jack bread took 2nd Place in breads.
>The recipe goes in the annual cook book (read: newspaper insert) and I get a
>$200 check - yea!!
>Boy was I out of my league. Contestants went to great extremes to make their
>presentations attractive especially in the other food categories such as
>appetizer or main dish.
>
>There is small picture of the Chefs from the local restaurants that did the
>tasting and scoring.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/Bread/Tasting.jpg

>I took a picture of the bread too.
>
>http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/B...livePepper.jpg
>
>Thanks for the advice from everyone. My original approach was going to be to
>plop a loaf of bread on the table and let the judges figure it out. Slicing
>the bread and providing butter helped a lot.
>
>Ed Bechtel
>
>PS.
>It was fun to do this once, but in the future i think I will leave contests to
>the professionals.

Hi Ed,

I wish you the best on your success, and gently remind you of the
long-standing tradition here on the rec. that you buy a good beer for
each of us.

(Had it been first prize, of course you would owe us champagne)<g>

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Ellen

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message
> I am back now from the Event.
> The Sourdough Olive Pepper Jack bread took 2nd Place in breads.
> The recipe goes in the annual cook book (read: newspaper insert) and I get

> $200 check - yea!!
> Boy was I out of my league. Contestants went to great extremes to make

their
> presentations attractive especially in the other food categories such as
> appetizer or main dish.
>
> There is small picture of the Chefs from the local restaurants that did

the
> tasting and scoring.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/Bread/Tasting.jpg
>
> I took a picture of the bread too.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/B...livePepper.jpg
>
> Thanks for the advice from everyone. My original approach was going to be

> plop a loaf of bread on the table and let the judges figure it out.

Slicing
> the bread and providing butter helped a lot.

yay! the bread looks great! Still waiting for the recipe :-)

Ellen

Mike Pearce

"Ed Bechtel" wrote in message

> The Sourdough Olive Pepper Jack bread took 2nd Place in breads.
> The recipe goes in the annual cook book (read: newspaper insert) and I get

> $200 check - yea!!

Congratulations! That's wonderful.

> I took a picture of the bread too.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/B...livePepper.jpg

The bread looks great. Nice presentation.

-Mike

Mike Pearce

"Ed Bechtel" wrote in message

> The Sourdough Olive Pepper Jack bread took 2nd Place in breads.
> The recipe goes in the annual cook book (read: newspaper insert) and I get

> $200 check - yea!!

Congratulations! That's wonderful.

> I took a picture of the bread too.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/B...livePepper.jpg

The bread looks great. Nice presentation.

-Mike

graham

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message
> I am back now from the Event.
> The Sourdough Olive Pepper Jack bread took 2nd Place in breads.
> The recipe goes in the annual cook book (read: newspaper insert) and I get

> $200 check - yea!!
> Boy was I out of my league.

You couldn't have been!! You won 2nd and received $200!!! That'll keep you
in flour for a while<g>

Contestants went to great extremes to make their
> presentations attractive

Yours looked superb as well!!

> It was fun to do this once, but in the future i think I will leave

contests to
> the professionals.

Your bread looked professional - go for 1st next year!!

Best wishes
Graham

Ed Bechtel

You are all very nice. Thanks for the compliments.

The recipe I used is below. Caution. The Jalapeno peppers in the pepper jack
cheese still catch me by surprise. I'm still acquiring the taste. The bread
tastes best toasted or with a cream cheese spread.

Sourdough Olive Pepper-Jack Bread
Ingredients:
1/2 cup active sourdough starter
2 cups unbleached white bread flour plus 1/4 cup whole wheat bread flour
3/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon fresh Rosemary finely diced
3 ounces Kalamata olives cut in half (to make sure pits are gone)
2 ounces pepper-jack cheese cut in 3/8 inch cubes

Directions: In large glass mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients except
olives and cheese until well incorporated. Let rest for ten minutes. Hand knead
dough on floured cutting board for five minutes. Use flour on board only to
keep dough from becoming too tacky. Incorporate olives and cheese into dough
and briefly knead loaf to distribute. Let rise in glass bowl covered for two
to four hours at 80 to 90F until dough is approximately doubled in diameter.
Midway through rise, stretch and fold dough twice then return to bowl. When
risen, remove dough, stretch and fold into short loaf. Never punch down the
dough. Place on parchment. Spritz bowl with water and invert over loaf for
final rise (90 minutes). After one hour, begin oven preheat with pizza stone on
middle rack to 500F for 30 minutes. Bake in steam for 5 minutes at 500F then 25
minutes at 400 to 425F. Let cool for at least 2 hours.

Ed Bechtel
Dave Bell

Ed Bechtel wrote:
> Let cool for at least 2 hours.

Right... Thanks for the impossible instructions!
It's all I can do to keep hands off fresh bread in this house.
*Sometimes* it actually cools enough to slice, rather than grab chunks.

Looks delicious, Ed; it's on my short list to try!

Dave

Kenneth

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:41:44 GMT, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>Ed Bechtel wrote:
>> Let cool for at least 2 hours.

>Right... Thanks for the impossible instructions!
>It's all I can do to keep hands off fresh bread in this house.
>*Sometimes* it actually cools enough to slice, rather than grab chunks.
>
>Looks delicious, Ed; it's on my short list to try!
>
>Dave

Hi Dave,

It is a real issue... Most breads taste far better if cooled, then
reheated.

All the best,

--
Kenneth