Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default How long does starter last? ? ?

An old question that needs to be re-answered ever so often:

I have kept a starter in the refrigerator, unused and unfed, for three
months or more. It has a half-inch of liquid on top.

The question is, how long can starter last before it's completely dead or
completely changed?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Ray" > wrote in message news
> The question is, how long can starter last before it's completely dead or
> completely changed?

Some say since the days when the pyramids were built. But I always freshen
mine each month, whether it needs it or not. Same with baths.

--
Dicky
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:08:35 GMT, "Ray"
> wrote:

>An old question that needs to be re-answered ever so often:
>
>I have kept a starter in the refrigerator, unused and unfed, for three
>months or more. It has a half-inch of liquid on top.
>
>The question is, how long can starter last before it's completely dead or
>completely changed?

Howdy,

I have found it oddly unpredictable...

A French starter that I have had for many years was always
happy in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks.

Then, at some point, it decided to die after about a month.

In any case, I would tell you to try what you have now. If
it becomes active with a feeding or two, bake with it.

If the results are what you had hoped, you are back in
business.

If not, get back to us here and many of us would be happy to
send you a new start.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Many thanks Keneth -- I will proceed accordingly, but I won't trouble you
or another starter. In addition to the suspect one, I have a couple of
others
that are thriving.

-- Ray