Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Baguette or French Stick

> Nonpareil??!!
>
> Yer shittin' us, right?
>
> --
> Dicky

Did you go to Texas A&M Dicky?

--
CK

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Charlie Kroeger" wrote:
> Did you go to Texas A&M Dicky?

No, why would I want to go there?
What/who is Texas A&M Dicky anyway?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> No, why would I want to go there?
> What/who is Texas A&M Dicky anyway?

The reason I ask was that I noticed people who used that expression had all gone to
Texas A&M..Interesting you've never heard of it. To answer your question:

> Yer shittin' us, right?

no Dicky I shit you not.

--
CK

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I admit to being one of those who is attracted my what I perceive to
be the better or best of whatever...but I usually have to settle for
lots less or we'd go broke.

Lots of things matter to me that probably shouldn't.

I try to achieve the best I can at some things I do too...lately it's
been the challenge to pull a better shot of espresso on our new to us
La Pavoni Pro lever machine...and get the crust slashes to look like
vince's...once achieved, I imagine I'll move onto something else.

Lucy
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dusty da baker wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> ... ....

> I can taste the difference between regular, iodized table salt and
> the Kosher salt, only because the taste (by nose?) of the iodine is
> so intense. But I'll be darned it I've ever been able to taste the
> differences between that and any of the other salts. At least on me,
> they'd be wasted.
>
> As another poster has already posited, mostly those kinds of salts
> are sold to appeal to the vanity of the buyers. They think they're
> getting something better, rarer, that cut above...

It's a kind of snottery.... to prove somehow one is of a higher class
because he: 1) knows of such ingredients; and 2) knows how to obtain them.

Usually, those kind of people, however, don't know how to use them
effectively. As a example, there's no reason to spend upwards of
$50-$70 a pound for Wagyu filet (aka "kobe beef"), if someone is going
to give it the same treatment they would, say, even a prime quality
porterhouse.

B/

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

G'day all. For some reason this reply didn't get the usual indent and
marking, so I'll put my replies between these guys: '[' & ']'

"Charlie Kroeger" > wrote in message
Since this thread has taken on a broad spectrum of subjects now less related
to French
Baguettes I will address two posts with different subjects by different
posters using
the same thread:

Dusty da baker said:

> The only thing that can be stored in a human "fat cell" is a molecule of
> sugar.

This is quite wrong. If this were the case it would be called a sugar cell.
It is not.
Fat cells are composed of adipose tissue that is composed of proportions of
monounsaturated and saturated fatty acids stearic acid lipoprotein and
triglycerides
all of which have very long chain molecules. Removing these cells require
complex
activities with enzymes and associated co-activators that are hormone
sensitive. There
is glucose in the presence of adipose tissue that is associated with the
endogenous
cannabinoid system of glucose uptake but it cannot be stated glucose [a
saccharide] is
the only thing stored in a 'fat cell'.
[Well, you would be correct. Being that this was a sourdough news group, I
was trying to keep the discussion at a bit of a superficial level consistent
with what most folks reading here would probably understand. Please forgive
me that bit of over-simplicity.

To be sure, I'm not the researcher that figured this stuff out, I'm just the
guy that built and programmed the devices that they said I should make in
order to test some of their hypothesis. So it's always possible that I got
some of my recollections wrong, and I'd be most grateful if you could
correct me if I go off on an unsupportable tangent. I'm happy to follow
your lead on where these processes go to most any level. If you wish to do
so, we should probably take this off-line so as not to bore the rest of the
readership.

That having been said, in reply to your post, it should be noted that the
human body is a marvelous and wonderful biological machine that's far more
complex than most folks realize. For a more detailed picture of some of the
processes involved, you might want to take a peek at this PDF file:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/img/asse...c_path-new.pdf.
It begins to bring the complexities involved into at least distant focus.

In many cases, that marvelous machine has a variety of options on how it
handles any given situation. From starvation through mono-nutrient
saturation, there are a bewildering number of pathways from which the body
can select it's metabolic processes. Leaving the "corner-cases" and any
disease-driven pathologies or accommodations aside, let's just concentrate
on the primary, main, functioning of the general fat
generation/storage/retrieval mechanisms. That should cover 85-90% of the
typical functioning of the body and what it does with food.

The human body can uptake only 3 classes of nutrients (leaving out the very
necessary trace minerals for the moment): Proteins, carbohydrates, and
fats. The primary purpose of the proteins is body building. The primary
purpose of carbohydrates is to power our motility. And the primary purpose
of fats is to do both, as well as become the basis of the very important
hormones that direct and control most every aspect of bodily activity. With
one exception, dietary fats & oils must be converted to EFA's (Essential
Fatty Acids...which technically are a class of alcohols) before they can be
assimilated through the cell walls into the blood.

As you'd correctly pointed out, in humans, the primary mechanism invoked to
trigger fat storage is LPL (Lipoprotein Lipase). When eaten; carbohydrates
(sugars & starches as a class), either stimulate LPL or turn off its
powerful fat-storage mechanism.

Fat-storage (in humans) is a process of lipid accumulation due to enhanced
fatty acid uptake into our muscles coupled with diminished mitochondrial
lipid oxidation. As you'd pointed out, excess fatty acids are esterified
and then can only be stored or metabolized.

Carbohydrates and sweeteners in general possess intrinsic biochemical
characteristics that determine their role in adipose tissue physiology (both
WAT & BAT), including its LPL, insulinogenic, blood glucose, glycemic,
adipocyte, and fat-storing properties.

What you neglected to point out was that the primary source of triglycerides
in the human blood stream is the human liver, making HDL (a component of
what's commonly known as cholesterol)--absolutely vital for all mammalian
systems. And what does it make that vital cholesterol from? It's favorite
and most easily converted food stuff: glucose (i.e sugar).

Now, we can get into all of the various mechanisms surrounding the insulin
effects, such as: Lipolysis, Ketogenesis, Glucogenolysis, Gluconeogenesis,
Proteolysis (things that insulin disables), or perhaps: the uptake of ionic
radicals, Glycogen synthesis, Protein synthesis, Glycolysis, or Glucose
uptake in both W&BAT and muscle tissue (things that insulin starts). But
what would be the point? The human mechanism can ingest near 100% protein
and will never get fat, nor will it get fat eating 100% fats. Only
carbohydrates (basically sugars and starches) can override the blood-lipid
levels, forcing storage, and make one fat. That was why I'd over-simplified
that example.
----------
ref:
1. Regulation of Lipolysis in Adipocytes, R. E. Duncan et. al., Annu Rev.
Nutr. 2007. 27:79-101.
2. Adipose Triglyceride Lipase, function, regulation by insulin and
comparison with adiponutrin, E. E. Kershaw et. al., Diabetes 2006, 55,
148-157.
----------

But hey! What could I possibly know? I was just working for the guys that
figured that stuff out. And it was some time ago...so it's possible that
I've either missed some new information or that they got it all wrong.
Should that be the case I'd be delighted to be corrected and pointed in the
right direction.]

Avoid radio talk show style half and whole untruths meant to empower the
ignorant.
[An excellent point that methinks you would be well advised to keep in
mind...]

The removal of adipose tissue, a constant topic in the western world, is
given
treatise in that timely tome of 1857 by Edmund Randolph Peaslee wherein he
states [on
page 808] <sic> Emaciation may be induced by a prolonged discharge of any
fluid
containing a considerable proportion of fat. Hence profuse suppuration or
hemorrhage,
or excessive sexual indulgence, produces leanness, since pus, blood, and
semen are
rich in fat.
[Huh? You don't "remove" adipose tissue via any of those mechanisms. I
don't get it. The only way I've heard of for removing adipose tissue is
with liposuction--a most stupid move in my opinion. As it screws up the
basic bodily functions that regulate the fat storage mechanism.

FWIW; the popular notion these days of 'lipo-suction' or 'stomach-stapling'
to get slim are as dumb as they are misguided. Both are the result of the
dread "bending-elbow" disease, and serve only to "solve" the symptom as
opposed to actually solving the problem. Talk about a radio talk show
symptom....<big sigh!>]

L8r all,
Dusty

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

There was a mysterious character encoding disaster in the previous post that
had something to do with OpenPGP..anyway I had to reformat and inevitably I
couldn't resist a rewrite. I hope this is more readable at least from a
visual point of view. Readable from a content point of view on the other hand...

> To be sure, I'm not the researcher that figured this stuff out, I'm just
> the guy that built and programmed the devices that they said I should
> make in order to test some of their hypothesis.

What kind of programmable devices did you make?

> As you'd correctly pointed out, in humans, the primary mechanism invoked
> to trigger fat storage is LPL (Lipoprotein Lipase). When eaten;
> carbohydrates (sugars & starches as a class), either stimulate LPL or
> turn off its powerfulfat-storage mechanism.

I read a thing recently that said humans and their intestinal organisms
evolved together over the millennial passages of time to the point they have
a symbiotic relationship that also gave rise to the question who was keeping
who. It would appear we provide them with a secure environment with plenty
of nutrients and they on the other hand provide us with a few 'essential'
nutrients not readily available [like B vitamins] . This is especially true
where minerals are concerned. Minerals are discounted in our fat obsessed
world but minerals really regulate everything.

Fermented foods with their attendant bacterial populations serve also to
assist the food in question [keifer, yogurt, miso, sourdough starter] to
resist 'spoilage' bacteria whilst making available nutrients that reside in
the more indigestible parts like bran in whole grains. This is why it is
important to eat the 'whole' grain, i.e. grind it yourself because
commercial whole grain flour almost always has a percentage of bran and germ
removed. Not all of course is removed but these ingredients have higher
values in other applications like animal feed or breakfast cereals various.
It has been my experience too that sourdough starters most vigorous and
possessing the sweetest fragrance come from grain you ground yourself.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here and this is the conventional
wisdom but there was something else of interest. The research I read said
foods with these beneficial bacteria in place, or one's resident bacteria
were able to 'open the door' of fat cells so they would take on more
storage, get larger. This makes sense when you think about it. This would
have to do with the microbe's survival. If you had more of a reserve against
starvation by being fat the bacteria would enjoy a greater sense of well
being. Maybe they even control your brain's hunger center.

This is not that far fetched, there are examples in natu In Vance
Packard's "Deadly Feast of Life" he tells about the liver fluke's life cycle
and one of the steps involves a method of getting back into the sheep they
came from. The do this by first invading the brains of certain ants where
they then take over the ants brain after which the ants clump helplessly on
the ends of grass leaves until the sheep ingest them unknowingly starting
the cycle all over again.

The Fat cell researchers came to a conclusion by experimenting with
rats..[yes you're like a rat] where they fed rats a lot of rich food but
without beneficial bacteria present [these were sterile rats created for
these types of experiments] and they gained no weight, whereas another group
of rats were fed the same food but with beneficial bacteria present in their
guts. They gained almost 60% more weight than the sterile rats.

This means by eating foods that are by their nature already partly digested
we're getting more nutrients especially minerals but we're also going along
with our fat cells wide open and ready to receive.

The question is would you rather eat less and be slender and well
nutritioned or would you prefer to eat excessively and become fat and well
nutritioned? It would seem your endemic bacterian community would prefer you
fat like a contented cow. From this thinking then one could assume your
intestinal bacteria was controlling your mind. [and you thought we were the
dominant species on the planet]

Thanks to science we have a choice, you can take anti-biotics and kill all
the beneficial bacteria in your gut [and possibly take back your mind] and
be able to eat a lot of highly refined and iradiated [dead for an extended
shelf life] food and not gain weight because your fat cells will have their
'doors' shut. This would appear to be the desired method for someone to whom
eating was the most important thing in their life but didn't want to be fat.
You could then eat all and everything you want on this diet as long as there
is no interacting bacteria in your lower intestine. Just think of it, you
won't gain any weight. So this is the diet: First thing in the morning, take
an anti-biotic [four a day] then eat all the processed food you want.
This diet would be called the anti-biotic diet. Ask your doctor if the
anti-biotic diet is right for you.

Fat cells are very complex you would think they're just storage tanks but
they're more than that. They may be the next source for adult stem cells.

--
CK

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Charlie Kroeger wrote:
I hope this is more readable at least from a
> visual point of view.

Sorry, but this format 'isn't' at all easier to read, you have switched
to very small text or some strange HTML format.

Your original plain test post was easier to read, despite the strange
word wrap.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:38:04 -0400, Mike Romain kirjoitti:

> Sorry, but this format 'isn't' at all easier to read, you have switched
> to very small text or some strange HTML format.
>
> Your original plain test post was easier to read, despite the strange
> word wrap.

The post you are following up to is plain text (although in UTF-8). I
checked the headers. I suspect the trouble is at your end, something to
do with how your client handles UTF-8.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä, Finland
(new with sourdough)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:38:04 -0400, Mike Romain kirjoitti:
>
>> Sorry, but this format 'isn't' at all easier to read, you have switched
>> to very small text or some strange HTML format.
>>
>> Your original plain test post was easier to read, despite the strange
>> word wrap.

> The post you are following up to is plain text (although in UTF-8). I
> checked the headers. I suspect the trouble is at your end, something to
> do with how your client handles UTF-8.

Ah...OK..thanks, I have been fiddling with character encoding. I haven't had
a problem with UTF-8 before now..somethings changed somewhere..anyway I
switched back to Western ISO-8859-1

so give me a 'QSL' on this post using ISO-8859-1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

> To be sure, I'm not the researcher that figured this stuff out, I'm just
> the guy that built and programmed the devices that they said I should
> make in order to test some of their hypothesis.

What kind of programmable devices did you make?

> As you'd correctly pointed out, in humans, the primary mechanism invoked
> to trigger fat storage is LPL (Lipoprotein Lipase). When eaten;
> carbohydrates (sugars & starches as a class), either stimulate LPL or
> turn off its powerfulfat-storage mechanism.

I read a thing recently that said humans and their intestinal organisms
evolved together over the millennial passages of time to the point they have
a symbiotic relationship that also gave rise to the question who was keeping
who. It would appear we provide them with a secure environment with plenty
of nutrients and they on the other hand provide us with a few 'essential'
nutrients not readily available [like B vitamins] . This is especially true
where minerals are concerned. Minerals are discounted in our fat obsessed
world but minerals really regulate everything.

Fermented foods with their attendant bacterial populations serve also to
assist the food in question [keifer, yogurt, miso, sourdough starter] to
resist 'spoilage' bacteria whilst making available nutrients that reside in
the more indigestible parts like bran in whole grains. This is why it is
important to eat the 'whole' grain, i.e. grind it yourself because
commercial whole grain flour almost always has a percentage of bran and germ
removed. Not all of course is removed but these ingredients have higher
values in other applications like animal feed or breakfast cereals various.
It has been my experience too that sourdough starters most vigorous and
possessing the sweetest fragrance come from grain you ground yourself.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here and this is the conventional
wisdom but there was something else of interest. The research I read said
foods with these beneficial bacteria in place, or one's resident bacteria
were able to 'open the door' of fat cells so they would take on more
storage, get larger. This makes sense when you think about it. This would
have to do with the microbe's survival. If you had more of a reserve against
starvation by being fat the bacteria would enjoy a greater sense of well
being. Maybe they even control your brain's hunger center.

This is not that far fetched, there are examples in natu In Vance
Packard's "Deadly Feast of Life" he tells about the liver fluke's life cycle
and one of the steps involves a method of getting back into the sheep they
came from. They do this by first invading the brains of certain ants where
[...]

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Charlie Kroeger" > wrote in message ...

> Ah...OK..thanks, I have been fiddling with character encoding. I haven't had
> a problem with UTF-8 before now..somethings changed somewhere..anyway I
> switched back to Western ISO-8859-1

Well, at least you are on some sort of a learning curve. Most of these bimbos and
stumblebums are still spuriously rebreaking lines and requoting everything in sight.

> so give me a 'QSL' on this post using ISO-8859-1

Well, of you mean "how did it look?", it looked fine, but it is still in rich text.

Of course no one will read it on account hefty words and inordinate message
length.

--
Dicky

P.S. When I take antibiotics I have trouble flushing for a while, but never seem to
lose any weight.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

>it looked fine, but it is still in rich text.

Thanks, Dicky, hummm rich text..that's not my style but I can't seem to find
a text only option. It could be also I'm mime encoding on 8 bit characters,
that might generate rich text which is basically HTML. I just removed the
mime option so maybe this time it will go out as plain text. It's also
possible if I'm using a variable width font the program is automatically
generating a rich text message. This may be progress in some developers
mind. I can also try a fixed width font, I don't think that will go out as
rich text.

> Of course no one will read it on account hefty words and inordinate message
> length.

Well that's true Dicky attention spans are at an all time low, ever see a
modern film lately, more like a computer game; reading and writing is its
own reward. I miss the old days.

> P.S. When I take antibiotics I have trouble flushing for a while, but never seem to
> lose any weight.

I wouldn't try that diet if I were you..just eat less, you'll lose weight.

--
CK

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Looks fine on my news_reader.

Joe Umstead

Mike Romain wrote:

> Charlie Kroeger wrote:
> I hope this is more readable at least from a
>> visual point of view.

> Sorry, but this format 'isn't' at all easier to read, you have switched
> to very small text or some strange HTML format.
>
> Your original plain test post was easier to read, despite the strange
> word wrap.
>
> Mike
> Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Looks fine on my news_reader.

> Joe Umstead

OK, thanks for the report.

--
CK

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hello "Charlie Kroeger" & all;

your request for a QSL: Yes, I have received your transmission...and
it's a damn sight better than the formatting of the previous one...(:-o)!
'Dicky' had mentioned that it was "still" in RTF, but it seems to be just
fine in plain text at this '10-20'...

"Charlie Kroeger" > wrote in message
> What kind of programmable devices did you make?

Oh, pretty well whatever the customer wanted. Blood gas analyzers, glucose
meters, plasma monitors, salinity, PH, scales, ultra-sound density, and on,
and on, and on...(:-o)! I don't recollect that we invented anything new,
mostly just reworking old concepts trying to make them better, faster, more
accurate and so on... It was a good gig that lasted quite a few years
(always a good thing when you're a contractor/consultant).

Some of the other fun things I got to fool with were strain gauges for
airplanes (mostly mil. stuff--and the shuttle Enterprise as it sat on the
ferry bird), MSU's (Microwave Sounding Units--used to measure temperature
from above (much to the chagrin of the GW nutz)) although I don't think any
of the ones we worked on flew any higher then on U2's or weather balloons.

> I read a thing recently that said humans and their intestinal organisms
> evolved together over the millennial passages of time to the point they
> have
> a symbiotic relationship that also gave rise to the question who was
> keeping
> who. It would appear we provide them with a secure environment with plenty
> of nutrients and they on the other hand provide us with a few 'essential'
> nutrients not readily available [like B vitamins] . This is especially
> true
> where minerals are concerned. Minerals are discounted in our fat obsessed
> world but minerals really regulate everything.

Yeah. Somewhere along the line I ran across that concept as well. I have
no way of getting to the bottom of that, but it sure does make for an
interesting line of reasoning.

> Fermented foods with their attendant bacterial populations serve also to
> assist the food in question [keifer, yogurt, miso, sourdough starter] to
> resist 'spoilage' bacteria whilst making available nutrients that reside
> in
> the more indigestible parts like bran in whole grains. This is why it is
> important to eat the 'whole' grain, i.e. grind it yourself because
> commercial whole grain flour almost always has a percentage of bran and
> germ
> removed. Not all of course is removed but these ingredients have higher
> values in other applications like animal feed or breakfast cereals
> various.
> It has been my experience too that sourdough starters most vigorous and
> possessing the sweetest fragrance come from grain you ground yourself.

Yep. All true, and the reason I now eat only sourdough critter "processed"
grains... On top of which, I enjoy the experience and the flavor as
well...(:-o)!

> I realize I'm preaching to the choir here and this is the conventional
> wisdom but there was something else of interest. The research I read said
> foods with these beneficial bacteria in place, or one's resident bacteria
> were able to 'open the door' of fat cells so they would take on more
> storage, get larger. This makes sense when you think about it. This would

Donno know 'bout that. Never ran across that before. But it's certainly
something to keep in mind.

> This is not that far fetched, there are examples in natu In Vance
> Packard's "Deadly Feast of Life" he tells about the liver fluke's life
> cycle
> and one of the steps involves a method of getting back into the sheep they
> came from. They do this by first invading the brains of certain ants where
> they then take over the ants brain after which the ants clump helplessly
> on
> the ends of grass leaves until the sheep ingest them unknowingly starting
> the cycle all over again.

Those ants are starting to sound/act like so many of the folks we
know...(:-{})!

> The Fat cell researchers came to a conclusion by experimenting with
> rats..[yes you're like a rat] where they fed rats a lot of rich food but
> without beneficial bacteria present [these were sterile rats created for
> these types of experiments] and they gained no weight, whereas another
> group
> of rats were fed the same food but with beneficial bacteria present in
> their
> guts. They gained almost 60% more weight than the sterile rats.

Interesting. While I've been told that I am indeed "like a rat", I'd not
read this concept before. Can you be some chance post a link to some update
info on this concept?

As an aside, want to have some fun? Walk into your local vitamin store, and
wander around... Pretty soon someone will ask you, "Can we help you find
something?"

Tell 'em, "Why yes, where do you keep your rat poison?"

Their eyes'll bug out, and you'll get an indignant, "We don't sell 'rat
poison' here!"

Then you come back with, "Oh, I'm pretty sure you do..."

Usually one of 'em will be smart enough to ask, "Does it go by any other
names?"

Then you can tell 'em that, "Yes. Some folks call it vitamin 'D'..." (D-3
to be precise).

It really blows folks away to learn that VD is so toxic to rats & mice.
Crunch up a VD tablet and mix it with a teaspoon of peanut butter, and toss
it down the rat hole...a couple of days...and no more rats... And, if the
neighbors kid manages to crawl through the fence and snatches the peanut
butter ball, no big deal...other than it might be covered with 'rat-hole'
spooge...(:-o)!

> From this thinking then one could assume your
> intestinal bacteria was controlling your mind. [and you thought we were
> the
> dominant species on the planet]

Heh, heh, heh... Given some of the folks I've met of late, methinks you're
pretty spot-on!

> Fat cells are very complex you would think they're just storage tanks but
> they're more than that. They may be the next source for adult stem cells.

While I don't know about the stem-cell angle, you're right on about how
complex those puppies are. Sounds so simple, yet the whole "machine" is
such a marvelously crafted mechanism. Gotta love it...

L8r all,
Dusty

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Each time I make Baguettes I end up with something akin to a French
Loaf. How much dough do you use for a Baguette? or Out of a # cup of
flour batch how many Baguettes do you get? I know my problem is amout
of dough, but .....
Ron
Never get between a dog and a fire hydrant.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

humm microwaves to measure temperature from U2's I didn't know you could do
that..I thought it was done with a laser. I guess now satellites have made
the U2 redundant.

> (always a good thing when you're a contractor/consultant).

Especially when it's for the military I suspect.

> Donno know 'bout that. Never ran across that before. But it's certainly
> something to keep in mind.
> read this concept before. Can you be some chance post a link to some
> update info on this concept?

I'm afraid I was sloppy about keeping track of my reading regarding that
specific article [a white paper] I can't find it in the time I have however,
I did find a reference to it that had been digested for an Independent article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ol-457625.html

I'll keep looking for the original research if I find it I'll post a link.

> Those ants are starting to sound/act like so many of the folks we
> know...(:-{})!

I'm very suspicious of 'marketing' techniques..You would think that my only
source of information is from Vance Packard, but some people are always
ahead of their time when warning the rest of us, but of course no one
listens. In the 1970's he wrote another of his investigative journalistic
books called "The People Shapers" and after 30 odd years his warnings have
come true. [like Kurt Vonnegut novels] It was all about B.F.Skinner and
"Behaviorism" and the study of people's reaction to advertisements and
getting their attention [like with flashing and loud noise] and the most
sinister, the use of a new generation of behavior modifying drugs. Their
creation was justified for a need to control recalcitrant prisoners, and the
general public need not be concerned.

> Then you can tell 'em that, "Yes. Some folks call it vitamin 'D'..." (D-3
> to be precise).

Perry the early Arctic explorer and members of his expedition almost died
from eating a Polar Bear's liver. The Polar Bear makes its own Vit. A like
we produce Vit. D in our skin the bear makes Vit. A in his Liver. Vit. A is
quite toxic at high levels can cause violent headaches and blindness before
you die.

Here's another interesting link to a .pdf file, a longish read but it has a
lot to do with why it's good to be eating sourdough bead and other 'live'
food when it comes to your immune system:

http://www.hindawi.com/GetPDF.aspx?d...55/2008/639803

--
CK

http://www.votenader.org/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Ron Lambert wrote:
> Each time I make Baguettes I end up with something akin to a French
> Loaf. How much dough do you use for a Baguette? or Out of a # cup of
> flour batch how many Baguettes do you get? I know my problem is amout
> of dough, but .....
> Ron
> Never get between a dog and a fire hydrant.

They have to roll up really skinny. The one I made yesterday was no
more than an inch in diameter before it rose.

I would have gotten 2 at 18" long and 3" or so in diameter for a # cup
of flour batch plus a cup of sponge I figure. That's what yesterdays
mix was and I got one Baguette/French stick shape and one round loaf.

Photos are he http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Mike
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

OOPS!

The link should be: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

The loaf measures 3" x2.5" in cross section.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Charlie Kroeger" > wrote in message

> humm microwaves to measure temperature from U2's I didn't know you could
> do
> that..I thought it was done with a laser. I guess now satellites have made

Hmmmm...I don't know how you'd do that with a laser. Interesting thought,
though...

> I'm afraid I was sloppy about keeping track of my reading regarding that
> specific article [a white paper] I can't find it in the time I have
> however,

Yeah. Don't I know that tune...(:-o)! With my ever more optimized
"write-only" memory, it seems that just trying to remember what day it is,
is taxing my already overworked neurons...

> I did find a reference to it that had been digested for an Independent
> article:
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ol-457625.html

GREAT ARTICLE! Thanks (you rat!). Another slice of life to explore...there
goes more sleepless nights...

> I'll keep looking for the original research if I find it I'll post a link.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

> I'm very suspicious of 'marketing' techniques..You would think that my
> only

Marketing. Propaganda. "Reality shapers." Not all that much different in
my opinion.

> source of information is from Vance Packard, but some people are always
> ahead of their time when warning the rest of us, but of course no one
> listens. In the 1970's he wrote another of his investigative journalistic
> books called "The People Shapers" and after 30 odd years his warnings have

Tell me about it. More and more the sheeple we live amongst have become
malleable almost without limit. From the ozone hole nonsense, to the fraud
of global warming, and a raft of similar idiocies in between, folks seem to
have lost all sense of reality and their basic perspective on life. These
days outright lies are given and taken as fact. Sad, that...

Where will this lead us, and where (not to mention how) will it end? I fear
that a disaster of our own making is at hand...

> Perry the early Arctic explorer and members of his expedition almost died
> from eating a Polar Bear's liver.

Yeah. Read about that some time back. Interesting stuff, isn't it?

> Here's another interesting link to a .pdf file, a longish read but it has
> lot to do with why it's good to be eating sourdough bead and other 'live'
> food when it comes to your immune system:
>
> http://www.hindawi.com/GetPDF.aspx?d...55/2008/639803

Damn! Now that's a read that one can get into! Thanks again (you rat!) for
mucking up my already overburdened reading schedule...(:-o)!

I'd read some time back about how the sourdough critters affect their medium
and how that effects us when we eat it. It seems our critters do a
considerable number on the carbohydrate composition of the bread. Like you,
I wish I'd made a better note of it, cuz I often wish to pose it to
others...but can't seem to sift it out of the morass of information we live
in...<big sigh!>

Anyway, I've got a range appointment with a SIL, the loser of which must buy
dinner...so I must be along. Thanks again for the great links.

L8r all,
Dusty -- Everett, Wa.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Hmmmm...I don't know how you'd do that with a laser. Interesting thought,
> though...

There's a lot of articles like this one:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1984IJQE...20..454M

> the fraud of global warming

Fraud....really ? we await your evidence of a scientific nature regarding
this subject. Please do not use as your evidence junk science white papers
from faux scientific organizations like the American Enterprise Institute
and like minded 'think tanks'. Only include those research results from
International and independent sources that reflect a concern for all
humanity with the aim of saving the planet's perilously thin layer of
atmosphere between us and the lifeless extremes of space.

I at least await your compelling facts about this fraud.

> These days outright lies are given and taken as fact.

I see that.

I will speak no more off topic on this overburdened thread.

So long and goodbye,

--
CK

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Charlie Kroeger" > wrote in message

the sodium levels of this salt are lower than refined salt

Really? You believe this? I doubt that it is significant.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

The Himalayan Red Mountain salt is much saltier than regular
salt....requiring much less in recipes....I cut it with celtic both to
stretch it and to cut the saltiness because I over salted some foods
when I first got it.

Lucy
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> "Charlie Kroeger" > wrote in message
>
> the sodium levels of this salt are lower than refined salt

> Really? You believe this? I doubt that it is significant.
> Graham

Hello Graham, well this is what I read. here's a related article I don't
know how scientific it is there are statements made without references so
you have to take it or leave it.

http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/salt.htm

The Campbell Soup company has recently been running ads that exploit the
known sodium quantities of sea salt versus refined salt whereas they promise
a salty taste in their canned soups with less sodium as they claim to be
adding sea salt to their recipes.

This article gives some percentages of sodium from a familiar sea salt
Celtic Sea Salt vs. Refined Salt. But this is an advocate website for
Vitamins and 'healthy' living.

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1835&zTYPE=2

And here's another statement with numbers:

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2...5011804AALESwm

You know what Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus said: Men will believe what
they want to believe..I believe he was right.

--
CK

BBQ Baguette Mike Romain Sourdough 4 27-05-2008 07:10 PM
French Baguette Kathy in NZ General Cooking 25 28-01-2006 04:01 AM
baguette juergen Baking 5 04-11-2003 06:57 AM
Chewy French Baguette Bob Sourdough 66 17-10-2003 07:28 PM
Chewy French Baguette Bob Sourdough 0 07-10-2003 01:33 AM