Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default refrigeration of starter

I am relatively new to sourdough baking - we were in California for
holidays and I love the flavour of the bread. I bought some starter
powder - and it is bubbling away. Now I have my starter, how is the
best way to store it in the refrigerator - with a lid, without a lid.
What is the story?
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Railfanner wrote:
> I am relatively new to sourdough baking - we were in California for
> holidays and I love the flavour of the bread. I bought some starter
> powder - and it is bubbling away. Now I have my starter, how is the
> best way to store it in the refrigerator - with a lid, without a lid.
> What is the story?

If you keep the lid off in the fridge, it may develop a dried crust with
mold on it.

It just depends, how dry it is, how long you keep it in the fridge and
what else is in there.

The semi-wet areas along the door insulation can keep a great variety of
mold spores.

What else do you keep in your fridge without cover?

This can be very entertaining and a longer story. Good thinking!

Sam

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 08:52:22 -0700 (PDT), Railfanner
> wrote:

>I am relatively new to sourdough baking - we were in California for
>holidays and I love the flavour of the bread. I bought some starter
>powder - and it is bubbling away. Now I have my starter, how is the
>best way to store it in the refrigerator - with a lid, without a lid.
>What is the story?

Howdy,

I keep my starters in the refrigerator in small, plastic,
lab type, screw top jars.

Occasionally we read here of folks who have concerns about
such a mode of storage having the risk of the jar bursting.

But I have always wondered if folks with such concerns open
bottles of beer before they put them in the refrigerator.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:28:26 -0400, "joe"
> wrote:

>the holes are not "gapping" - just sliced "X" marks to prevent any CO2
>buildup,

Howdy,

Why do you want to avoid "CO2 buildup?"

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Railfanner wrote:
> I am relatively new to sourdough baking - we were in California for
> holidays and I love the flavour of the bread. I bought some starter
> powder - and it is bubbling away. Now I have my starter, how is the
> best way to store it in the refrigerator - with a lid, without a lid.
> What is the story?

I use a mason jar with the lid on loosely.

I have also found 'my' cold starter needs a 'wake up' grow first to be
ready to grow for a loaf or at least one extra growing period than the
recipe calls for.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Kenneth" > wrote in message ...

> Why do you want to avoid "CO2 buildup?"

Jeez you ask dumb questions, Kenneth. Read it again!

He clearly indicated that he does not wish to impede global warming.

That is something you ought to be able to understand.

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message ng.com...

> I use a mason jar with the lid on loosely.

Me, I just screw the lid up tight -- at once that 1. develops a back pressure
which slows the starter way down if it tries to grow to the hoochy stage and
2. prevents global warming.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Then your starter isn't being fed enough Mike. Simples as that.

Jim

On 10 Mar, 13:49, Mike Romain > wrote:

> I have also found 'my' cold starter needs a 'wake up' grow first to be
> ready to grow for a loaf or at least one extra growing period than the
> recipe calls for.
>
> Mike
> Some bread photos:http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

No kidding eh, it was just in the fridge being stored, not fed.

Mike

TG wrote:
> Then your starter isn't being fed enough Mike. Simples as that.
>
> Jim
>
> On 10 Mar, 13:49, Mike Romain > wrote:
>
>> I have also found 'my' cold starter needs a 'wake up' grow first to be
>> ready to grow for a loaf or at least one extra growing period than the
>> recipe calls for.
>>
>> Mike
>> Some bread photos:http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Mike Romain wrote:
> No kidding eh, it was just in the fridge being stored, not fed.

And they keep metabolizing in the fridge in the same way as outside so
they can continue right away when taken out and fed properly in the fridge.

You are really missing out with the fridge storage the way you do it,
tssk tssk....

Sam

> Mike
>
> TG wrote:
>
>> Then your starter isn't being fed enough Mike. Simples as that.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On 10 Mar, 13:49, Mike Romain > wrote:
>>

>>> I have also found 'my' cold starter needs a 'wake up' grow first to be
>>> ready to grow for a loaf or at least one extra growing period than the
>>> recipe calls for.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>> Some bread photos:http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Here's a tip Mike, try- "No Shit Sherlock!"

I find a more punchy response is funnier and a much better put down.
Don't explain it that just makes you look dumb.

Jim

On 10 Mar, 18:06, Mike Romain > wrote:
> No kidding eh, it was just in the fridge being stored, not fed.
>
> Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Sam wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
>> No kidding eh, it was just in the fridge being stored, not fed.
>>

> And they keep metabolizing in the fridge in the same way as outside so
> they can continue right away when taken out and fed properly in the fridge.
>
> You are really missing out with the fridge storage the way you do it,
> tssk tssk....
>
> Sam

It still grows in the fridge, just slowly. I guess if I left it in the
fridge for more than a week it could use a feed, but normally it comes
out for use and goes for a wake up, warm up grow, then an overnight
grow, then a wake up grow, then a bread grow. Makes a nice sour tasting
loaf.

Mike
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Vulgar language?

lol, where have you been hiding Joe, on The Brady Bunch set?

Don't be an ignorant old maid with her judgmental mind in the gutter
Joe. This is a News Group if 'Shit' offends you maybe you shouldn't
subscribe. BTW I spent a lot of time in monasteries and know a good
few nuns. I've heard far worse even from the Abbess. The only meaning
and so vulgarity in that word is in your own mind Joe.

Jim

On 11 Mar, 13:31, "joe" > wrote:
> "TG" > wrote in message

> > Here's a tip Mike, try- "No Shit Sherlock!"

> > I find a more punchy response is funnier and a much better put down.
> > Don't explain it that just makes you look dumb.

> > Jim

> > On 10 Mar, 18:06, Mike Romain > wrote:
> >> No kidding eh, it was just in the fridge being stored, not fed.

> >> Mike

> And using vulgar language makes him look smart?
>
> --
> -joe
> ___________________________________
> my bread:http://www.joesbread.com/
> my faith:http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

And so the one without reason resorts to repetition...

Jim

> >> And using vulgar language makes him look smart?

> >> --
> >> -joe
> >> ..

> And using vulgar language makes him look smart?
>
> --
> -joe

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

TG wrote:
> And so the one without reason resorts to repetition...
>
> Jim

What was that again?
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I said... : -)

Jim

On 12 Mar, 18:07, Brian Mailman > wrote:
> TG wrote:
> > And so the one without reason resorts to repetition...

> > Jim

> What was that again?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

When I return my starter to the fridge, I leave the cap on the jar just
sitting on top loosely. The next day, I tighten it down. Otherwise, I have
an explosion of air. CO2, or whatever it is when I open it the next time.
Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Railfanner" > wrote in message
>I am relatively new to sourdough baking - we were in California for
> holidays and I love the flavour of the bread. I bought some starter
> powder - and it is bubbling away. Now I have my starter, how is the
> best way to store it in the refrigerator - with a lid, without a lid.
> What is the story?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 23:57:21 -0600, "Lobo"
> wrote:

>When I return my starter to the fridge, I leave the cap on the jar just
>sitting on top loosely. The next day, I tighten it down. Otherwise, I have
>an explosion of air. CO2, or whatever it is when I open it the next time.
>Lobo

Hi Lobo,

Do you do the same with a beer? <g>

Thanks,