Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default A Good Sourdough Day - Take 4

Stacey wrote:
>>> What have you folks baked lately?

> http://picasaweb.google.com/stbuzby/StarterLoaf
>
> Stacey

Nice. I make a loaf in that shape for hot dog buns, 'Canadian East
Coast style'. The bread gets sliced, but only every second slice goes
all the way through, the middle slice stops short of the bottom crust to
make the hot dog pocket.

All your rising was done on the counter with the 3 hour one I would
guess. Made it airy by the looks of it.

I did the opposite yesterday, I put one in that could have used a bit
more counter time or bigger/longer cuts so it almost exploded with the
oven bounce. The crust did stay attached though.

I went for a real sour tasting loaf and grew my starter up over 48 hours
with 12 hour feeds. It worked well.

There are a couple new photos he http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Or you could make a bunch and chink 'em together to make
> yerself a sourdough brick house.

Well it had the brick-like shape, but not the consistency; might have
to work on that part a bit.

Might even look around for some of the mini-sized baking pans and try
for a respectable loaf shape - would kill the house idea, but I
suspect we'd have stability issues anyway.....
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Nice. *I make a loaf in that shape for hot dog buns, 'Canadian East
> Coast style'. *The bread gets sliced, but only every second slice goes
> all the way through, the middle slice stops short of the bottom crust to
> make the hot dog pocket.

Now that sounds tasty. Have been thinking of a gourmet version of
pigs in a blanket- maybe with bratwurst and a little cheese wrapped in
with it...

> All your rising was done on the counter with the 3 hour one I would
> guess. *Made it airy by the looks of it.

Yep, you got it- three hours in an 80 degree (or so) room, then into a
cold oven. I thought it might rise more when I put it in to bake,
didn't get much change at all.

I'm doing rolls today, for tomorrow's dinner- and maybe a loaf or two
if I get ambitious later tonight.

Stacey
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message g.com...

> I went for a real sour tasting loaf and grew my starter up over 48 hours
> with 12 hour feeds. It worked well.

Oh, sure, everything you try works well. Well, not so good for me. There
always seems to be a least one defect.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dickya/SiameseSDLoaves.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/dickya/Siamese_cut.jpg

BTW, I was never able to make a decent loaf with a soured starter. Seems
to me that starters need to be active, and by the time they are sour, they are
settled-down and pooped-out. My loaves are pretty doggoned sour from
being allowed to rise for a quite long time. For the loaves linked above,
the rise time was about 12 hours with several reformings during the first three
hours.

But, heck, I guess that nOObies with a lot of dumb luck can get away with
a lot of stuff that would not ever work for me.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message g.com...
>
>> I went for a real sour tasting loaf and grew my starter up over 48 hours
>> with 12 hour feeds. It worked well.

> Oh, sure, everything you try works well. Well, not so good for me. There
> always seems to be a least one defect.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/dickya/SiameseSDLoaves.jpg
> http://mysite.verizon.net/dickya/Siamese_cut.jpg

After the long feeds, I always give it a fast wake up feed in a
pre-warmed oven before adding the loaf

Your crumb is much lighter looking though. These sour loaves are fairly
heavy compared to my regular SD.

As far as it working, well, there it is. I have no intent or need to
deceive or to post a misdirection as to my methods. I post both my
'ugly' and nice results.

I will have to try a long rise like that next time just to see what I
get, it looks interesting.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message ng.com...

> [ ... ]

> I will have to try a long rise like that next time just to see what I
> get, it looks interesting.

The long rise does not work for everybody. Usually the rise poops
out before the sourdough flavors fully develop. Then folks go around
mumbling about overproofedness, whatever that may mean, probably
that the loaf quit holding gas.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message ng.com...
>
>> [ ... ]

>> I will have to try a long rise like that next time just to see what I
>> get, it looks interesting.

> The long rise does not work for everybody. Usually the rise poops
> out before the sourdough flavors fully develop. Then folks go around
> mumbling about overproofedness, whatever that may mean, probably
> that the loaf quit holding gas.

Might I ask what the ingredients are and how much kneading if any it got?

I have my 'mother' batch out going for a warm up/wake up grow to make a
bud for more bread tomorrow and would like to try something new.

Mike
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message ng.com...

> Might I ask what the ingredients are and how much kneading if any it got?

I may have mentioned previously
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...ctions_Rev.doc
During these cold months, when part of the rise is overnight at setback
temperature, the rises are longer than shown.

> I have my 'mother' batch out going for a warm up/wake up grow to make a
> bud for more bread tomorrow and would like to try something new.

If you make it partly your way, and a little bit my way, you will not get the
results I do. I can guarantee that. One thing to notice is that I am using
bromated flour. In the east we do not get such lovely flour as can be got in
the plains states. My experience with the flours I can get locally is that no
other bread flour works as well as GM All Trumps(50111), including Sir
Lancelot.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:

> I may have mentioned previously
> http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...ctions_Rev.doc

Thanks, I will try that long rise method later this week. My 'market'
asked for white bread this batch when they got home last night.

I am in Canada so we have different brands of flours up here than you
do. Bromated flour has been illegal since 1994 up here. I use Five
Roses Brand unbleached 'all purpose' flour with a 13.3% protein count.
From what I have read and from what has been posted here, that is
'strong' flour or higher gluten flour than a common 'all purpose' flour.
Five Roses state about their 'all purpose' flour: This flour is also
known as bread flour.

I have also read that the addition of potassium bromate is added to
flour to increase the 'gluten effect' or to strengthen the dough to
allow higher rises.

It will be interesting to see how well the five roses holds up to the
long grow. It certainly will allow a 5x increase when I do long grows
with the starter alone, so...

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> But, heck, I guess that nOObies with a lot of dumb luck can get away with
> a lot of stuff that would not ever work for me.

Speaking of which, yesterday I had some potato water and potato pieces
after boiling 5 russets (skin on, if that matters). NOOb curiosity
plus a hunger for something sour prompted me to experiment. I hit the
potato water (plus pieces) with an immersion blender, added 200g of my
rye starter (I fed it the prior day with 50g ea water and rye, so I
guess that counts as 100g of starter), two teaspoons of sugar (I never
do this, but I wanted to give my boys every chance possible to
prosper), and set it by the oven light for 18 hours or so. It was
bubbly as heck this morning, so I made my dough with KA bread flour
and water, let the mixer dough hook have some fun, then let it rise. I
did the usual rise-punch-rise, though the second rise took place
during Easter dinner at my parents, so it was a little over-risen. I
used the cast iron pot method, but in my haste forgot to slash so I
had a little blow out.
The bread turned out better than I expected. Sour and chewy, the way I
like it. Here's a photo (sorry for the quality - I used my cell
phone):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattandvicki/2356840502/
Matt

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Matt Fitz wrote:
> [..]
> The bread turned out better than I expected. Sour and chewy, the way I
> like it. Here's a photo (sorry for the quality - I used my cell
> phone):
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattandvicki/2356840502/

Crust looks pale - if it's not the camera, would indicate
over-fermenting: no more sugar left for browning.
Sour taste could also be an indication.

What is in potato water? Starches and sugars - and in flour? Not sure
if the critters care at all where it's coming from.

Sam

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hi Mike,

It doesn't take much to make us choose what someone else wants us too,
even less to get us explain why we made the best choice. : -) We think
we're so independent. lol.

Jim

On 24 Mar, 04:15, Mike Avery > wrote:
> I thought they were OK, but not stellar. *Some customers went wild over
> them though.... and my basic theory is the customer is always right, at
> least until he's out of ear shot.
>
> Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Crust looks pale - if it's not the camera, would indicate
> over-fermenting: no more sugar left for browning.
> Sour taste could also be an indication.

I think lighting is making it very pale. I have LED lights under my
cabinets - very white light. But the crust is a little paler than
normal because I waited too long to take the lid off the pot during
baking, and the blow out probably made it a bit more moist in there.
And I'm not ruling out a little over-fermenting, but I really like the
way it tastes.

> What is in potato water? Starches and sugars - and in flour? Not sure
> if the critters care at all where it's coming from.

Next time I'll omit the sugar and see if the results hold.

Matt

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default A Good Sourdough Day - Take 4 1/2

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message ng.com...
>
>> Might I ask what the ingredients are and how much kneading if any it got?

> I may have mentioned previously
> http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...ctions_Rev.doc
> During these cold months, when part of the rise is overnight at setback
> temperature, the rises are longer than shown.

So I decided to go for those instructions to the point of hand mixing
and kneading instead of a mixer.

My first attempt was going OK until I got impatient and well, I
pasteurized the sucker. :-(

So when I figured out I had white soup instead of dough last night, I
just whipped up some conventional yeast Apple Cinnamon buns and a
'butter top' loaf to have ready for when my wife got off work at
midnight. They turned out nice. 3 photos he
http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

I am now in hour 16 of a remake of Dick's instructions and so far they
have worked out as advertised. I am getting a nice 3X grow at the rate
estimated by Dick.

I did find the last mix didn't take all of the called for 6 cups of
flour, but it kneaded up really nice so I didn't want to force the last
1/2 cup in. I hope it will hold the rise, I will see. I stirred it wet
until the spoon wouldn't cut through it anymore, then hand finished it.
That was a bit of a workout, but hey I can use it.

I can see the theory behind the feeding amounts so the critters don't
run out of food and long timing and hope it works for me and my homemade
starter.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default A Good Sourdough Day - Take 5= Billowy Sourdough Loaves ©

Well, I don't know where to start. To say I am impressed by Dick Adams'
Billowy Sourdough Loaves © Instructions would be a great understatement.

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...ctions_Rev.doc

I must take my hat off and bow to the Master!

That has to be 'The' best bread I have ever baked.

It worked out pretty much exact as advertised for timing the grows by a
3X volume so my bread went into the cold oven at hour 23-24.

I got the 5X loaf grow with about a .25 volume oven bounce still after a
6 hour last rise. Impressive.

The crumb is well, 'Billowy' would be a good word with a real nice sour
bite to it. Super soft! Totally sour! I have never even come close
using only the 3 basic ingredients before.

This stuff is so soft my new and very sharp bread knife still won't cut
through it easy today, 12 hours cold! I use this knife for the raw
dough slashes, so you know how sharp it is...

I used Five Roses brand unbleached 'all purpose' or 'bread' flour with
it's 13.3% protein count and 'boiled and set-a-while open' (24+ hours)
tap water and table salt.

My only mixer is my right arm instead of a machine mixer so I made the
mix wet (3.5 cups flour) to start and stirred it aggressively with a
wooden spoon until the gluten came up and the spoon wouldn't stir it
anymore. (or my arm wouldn't) likely 5 minutes. I then mixed in enough
flour to keep it balled up and 'softly' hand kneaded in the last of the
flour. I 'was' a little light on the flour, I didn't work in the last
1/2 to 3/4 cup so expected a loaf that might spread a bit.

I got around too much spread by putting a 9" spring-form pan rim,
greased and dusted with cornmeal, around the big loaf and a cover on
that to prevent drying during the long rise. I removed this before baking.

My smaller loaf held it's oval quite fine though so I don't know that I
'needed' the rim containment.

My pans are greased and dusted with cornmeal.

I might make different shapes next time, but I got exactly what I aimed
for this time.

I also made too much of this starter with the intent of a SD Pizza.
Once again, I take my hat off to Dick, the crust is just something else.
So light and airy and sour. Yes, the 'sour' comes through 'very'
well. Even my wife, when she got off work at 11 and had a just had a
'nibble', got into it 'and' went back for more , and she doesn't
normally eat Pizza.

I have put up the photos he http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Thanks again Dick, for a grumpy old fart, you 'sure' do make good bread.
;-) (grin)

Mike

>> What have you folks baked lately?
>>
>> Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mar 28, 11:39 am, Mike Romain > wrote:

> Thanks again Dick, for a grumpy old fart, you 'sure' do make good bread.

Does this mean that you have finally graduated from "Joy of Cooking"?

If so... Dick's patience was worth it. :-)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Will wrote:
> On Mar 28, 11:39 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>
>> Thanks again Dick, for a grumpy old fart, you 'sure' do make good bread.

> Does this mean that you have finally graduated from "Joy of Cooking"?
>
> If so... Dick's patience was worth it. :-)

LOL! Naw, I still used their pizza dough recipe... Basically just
adding 2 tbsp of oil to the final mix. I am open for trying a new one,
anyone?

As far as bread goes though... Yup, there sure are better recipes out there.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

G'day Mike & all;

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
g.com...
> LOL! Naw, I still used their pizza dough recipe... Basically just adding
> 2 tbsp of oil to the final mix. I am open for trying a new one, anyone?

Here's the one I use, enjoy!
http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...eads/Pizza.htm

FWIW; I too have made Dickey's bread. It is indeed a light, fluffy loaf,
and a joy to make. I made a copy of his recipe...just in case...(:-o)!
http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...rdough/BSD.htm

I'd make it more often, but I'm a fan of the heartier, darker 'farm' or
'country style' breads like this one:
http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br.../provender.htm. So I
don't get to make Dickey's bread all that often.

L8r all,
Dusty

> As far as bread goes though... Yup, there sure are better recipes out
> there.
>
> Mike
> Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dusty da baker wrote:

> I'd make it more often, but I'm a fan of the heartier, darker 'farm' or
> 'country style' breads like this one:
> http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br.../provender.htm. So I
> don't get to make Dickey's bread all that often.

Thanks for the recipes. I will try some.

I am a real fan of the light and fluffy crusty loaf so will likely make
this type more than the others. My 'market' likes variety and the heavy
loaf so I will still make the heavier loaves as well as plain white
bread with commercial yeast.

>> Mike
>> Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dusty da baker wrote:

> FWIW; I too have made Dickey's bread. It is indeed a light, fluffy loaf,
> and a joy to make. I made a copy of his recipe...just in case...(:-o)!
> http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...rdough/BSD.htm

Oh, I just noticed, that is 'not' the recipe I used. The one Dick
recently posted is much different.

>> Mike
>> Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Oh? Sorry 'bout that...and my apologies to 'Dickey' too. I've had that one
a while, so it's possible that Dick changed something and I didn't keep up.
I'll check it out in the next little while...

L8r all,
Dusty

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> Dusty da baker wrote:
>
>> FWIW; I too have made Dickey's bread. It is indeed a light, fluffy loaf,
>> and a joy to make. I made a copy of his recipe...just in case...(:-o)!
>> http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...rdough/BSD.htm
>>

> Oh, I just noticed, that is 'not' the recipe I used. The one Dick
> recently posted is much different.
>
>>> Mike
>>> Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dusty da baker" > wrote in message ...

> so it's possible that Dick changed something and I didn't keep up.
> I'll check it out in the next little while...

Just so yez knows it, I am not the sort of person that goes sneakin' around
changing things while nobody is lookin'.

There are two very similar versions of the authentic Billowy Bread Recipe,
whose main purpose is to try to fit on one typewritten page. The main change
is to subsitute eliminate one stage of preferment ("sponge"). Basically, like
all bread recipes, it is about a way to convert salt, water, flour, and
leavening into bread. The page could be called Dicky's (not Dickey's nor
Dickie's) recipe or Dicky's Instructions. Dicky makes no claim on any bread
made according to these instructions, nor any variant thereof, and he cannot
be held responsible for it, either.

Like the famous semanticist sez, "The map is not the territory!".

I, myself, have been taking liberties with it, of late. I have been extending the
duration of the final rise to as long as 10 hours at room- and setback temperature
and reducing the flour to achieve ~ 65"per cent hydration", measured as described.
The bread thus achieved is quite sour and flavorful, and almost indescribably
vacuous.

Please see http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...ctions_Rev.doc
and Cf. http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...structions.doc

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:

> The main change is to subsitute eliminate one stage of preferment ("sponge").
> Dicky

I was more than a bit skeptical of that stage and read it three or four
times to be sure I wasn't missing something. To my amazement, I got a
second 3X grow after the stir down in the time stated.

Which version of your bread do you like best?

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message ng.com...

> Which version of your bread do you like best?

I will give you a hint: If I liked the recipe better as it was, I would
not have made the revision ( now linked to the Billowy page at
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/photos.html ).

As far as <version of the bread> is concerned, every time I make it
I get a different version, on account of the fact that one cannot completely
control the totality of everything. The <version of the recipe>, on the other hand, is
forever -- unless, of course, I revise it again, which is a thing that cannot be
positively prevented.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

G'day "Dicky" & all;

My apologies my friend, I didn't mean to suggest that you surreptitiously
went sneaking around changing your recipes in the dark of night. I know
that you're wa-a-ay too much a man of honor for any of that kind of
hanky-panky...(:-o)!

I have admonished my 'spel cequer' to take greater care with the proper
rendition of your (slightly) sainted name...(:-o)!

I'll also be reviewing your latest changes to see what I can learn...

L8r all,
Dusty

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
news
"Dusty da baker" > wrote in message

> so it's possible that Dick changed something and I didn't keep up.
> I'll check it out in the next little while...

Just so yez knows it, I am not the sort of person that goes sneakin' around
changing things while nobody is lookin'.

There are two very similar versions of the authentic Billowy Bread Recipe,
whose main purpose is to try to fit on one typewritten page. The main
change
is to subsitute eliminate one stage of preferment ("sponge"). Basically,
like
all bread recipes, it is about a way to convert salt, water, flour, and
leavening into bread. The page could be called Dicky's (not Dickey's nor
Dickie's) recipe or Dicky's Instructions. Dicky makes no claim on any bread
made according to these instructions, nor any variant thereof, and he cannot
be held responsible for it, either.

Like the famous semanticist sez, "The map is not the territory!".

I, myself, have been taking liberties with it, of late. I have been
extending the
duration of the final rise to as long as 10 hours at room- and setback
temperature
and reducing the flour to achieve ~ 65"per cent hydration", measured as
described.
The bread thus achieved is quite sour and flavorful, and almost
indescribably
vacuous.

Please see http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...ctions_Rev.doc
and Cf. http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...structions.doc

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:

> I will give you a hint: If I liked the recipe better as it was, I would
> not have made the revision ( now linked to the Billowy page at
> http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/photos.html ).

Fair enough. Some folks make 'revisions' to get a different product,
not necessarily a 'better' product.

Your 'revision' also seems to have decent holding power. It doesn't go
'stale and dry' fast.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message g.com...

> Your 'revision' also seems to have decent holding power. It doesn't go
> 'stale and dry' fast.

Of course the revision does not go 'stale and dry'. It is a cyberspace thing,
and does not have any properties of matter. As a printed paper document,
it might yellow and fade and desiccate and crumble, if that could be considered
staling and drying.

What you are trying to say, I presume, is that the bread that you have made
using my revised instructions seems to you to not stale and dry rapidly,
notwithstanding that you have avoided mentioning what the bread, which
you made according to your understanding of my revised instructions,
should be compared to with respect to its antistaling and antidrying properties.

I have located the following document which I should like to recommend to
in hopes that there may be some way for you to improve your skill of thought
and language: http://www.doyletics.com/art/thinkabi.htm

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default A Good Sourdough Day - Take 6

My market liked my interpretation of Dick Adam's Billowy Sourdough loaf
recipe so well they asked for the same again so I did.

I hand mixed it up and again stayed a little wetter than Dick calls for
with his machine arm so expected a little spreading like last time. I
must have a good eye/feel for the dough mix, because I can usually
duplicate what I did last time with success, or I am just plain lucky
because the bread turned out pretty much exact to the last batch for
texture, spread and rise.

I got around this by using a pie pan, a Pyrex glass bowl and a coffee
can to contain the bases and bottom sides so I would get 'taller'
loaves. It worked well. Even the one in the pie pan held it's shape as
it went up.

No 'fancy top pancakes' in this batch. LOL!

The coffee can got a dough ball 1/4 of it's depth and rose almost to a
1/4 above the can! That is a serious boost and a measurable 5 volume
expansion because it is a full cylinder.

My mom used to make the coffee can shape for burgers and Sloppy Joe
sandwiches and we are having Sloppy Joes so I went for it.

The other loaves did the same rise volume, very nicely too.

I also put up 3 French Stick shapes that worked very well.

This bread is very hard to cut it is so soft, even today, super soft. I
find bread from this recipe seems to stay 'first day soft and fresh' for
a lot longer than one day, at least 3 on the last batch, so that 'day
old' bread saying doesn't come into play. I doubt this batch will last
more than 3 days either, but will pay attention.

I went for a 2 hour set, then a few folds and a 6 hour final rise and
still got oven bounce again.

I put 7 new photos up he http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com

Mike

>>> What have you folks baked lately?
>>>
>>> Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
g.com...

> > Your 'revision' also seems to have decent holding power. It doesn't go
> > 'stale and dry' fast.

> Of course the revision does not go 'stale and dry'. It is a cyberspace
> thing,

and does not have any properties of matter. As a printed paper document,
it might yellow and fade and desiccate and crumble, if that could be
considered
staling and drying.

> I have located the following document which I should like to recommend to

in hopes that there may be some way for you to improve your skill of thought
and language:

"... -It is a cyberspace thing, ... " is hardly a recommendation for skill
of thought and language ...

Mary

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default A Good Sourdough Day - Take 7

I have been having some decent results lately with 'plain' 3 ingredient
sourdough thanks to ideas planted in my head by Dick Adams. My market
likes it also.

I needed to do a refresh on my starter yesterday so just made up a small
SD loaf using unbleached flour that turned out nice. I got a nice rise
out of it.

I also made a few Baguettes and a 'French loaf' out of SD the other day.

I made a 70/30% by volume Dark Rye to Unbleached flour '4' ingredient SD
rye loaf that well... it was late and I was almost asleep and I put it
in too big a pan and didn't cut the top so it grew outward instead of
upward in it's 8 hour rise. I knew better because it was fairly 'wet'
so needed containment. It still came out with a nice crumb and taste.
The crust is crisp and it has a really nice sour kick to it. The shape,
well... Can't always have 'pretty' bread or just show off the 'pretty'
loaves. I guess you could call it a blowout. LOL!

I have 11 new photos up he http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com