Crombie

Default Carl's Starter

I activated my Carl's Starter on Monday. I followed the basic directions
except I did not use any type of potato stuff - just water. I used it last
night and made my whole grain rolls - they rose nicely overnight (about
eight hours). I left one cup of starter in my one quart ceramic crock and
put it in the fridge. When I got home from work tonight I was greeted with
a big mess. That one cup of starter flowed over the one quart crock, out
between the lid and crock and all over my refrigerator shelf. Anyway, I
would say I have a very active starter

Dee Randall

"Crombie" > wrote in message
> I activated my Carl's Starter on Monday. I followed the basic directions
> except I did not use any type of potato stuff - just water. I used it

last
> night and made my whole grain rolls - they rose nicely overnight (about
> eight hours). I left one cup of starter in my one quart ceramic crock and
> put it in the fridge. When I got home from work tonight I was greeted

with
> a big mess. That one cup of starter flowed over the one quart crock, out
> between the lid and crock and all over my refrigerator shelf. Anyway, I
> would say I have a very active starter

Thanks for writing this. I just received my Carl's starter this afternoon.
The volunteers must be busy.

I am going to have to really study the instructions and see where the
"potato stuff" is mentioned and discard that potato information and use just
KArthur white all-purpose unbleached flour; unless someone else has a better
suggestion. I only have on-hand KA white AP, KA bread flour, KA whole wheat
white, and Hodgson's stone ground rye.

Since you have this problem, do you have any suggestion to others about this
overflow, or are you completely baffled? I wonder what would have happened
if you would have done what I would have done -- put it in a Ball jar with a
lid -- would the jar have exploded?

Thanks,
Dee

Kenneth

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:49:35 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>Since you have this problem, do you have any suggestion to others about this
>overflow, or are you completely baffled? I wonder what would have happened
>if you would have done what I would have done -- put it in a Ball jar with a
>lid -- would the jar have exploded?

Dee, you are trolling...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Dee Randall

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:49:35 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>
> >Since you have this problem, do you have any suggestion to others about

this
> >overflow, or are you completely baffled? I wonder what would have

happened
> >if you would have done what I would have done -- put it in a Ball jar

with a
> >lid -- would the jar have exploded?

> Dee, you are trolling...
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Kenneth, I am embarrassed to say that I don't know what you mean by "you are
trolling."
Perhaps you can explain to me (and others in case they don't know either),
so I won't be guilty of doing it again. (I read all the newsgroups
etiquette -- perhaps I missed something?)
Dee

gw

Hi! I 'm with you, Dee. I am not sure what he is talking about.
My starter was wonderfully active, it kept popping the lid off my jar quite
easily, and often-but it smells wonderful, and I am looking forward to
trying it out soon (can't quite yet, as I have a loaf in the freezer.)
Hoping to try Poilane's loaf with Carl's starter, if that isn't considered
too gauce?
gw

Dick Adams

"gw" > wrote in message=20

> ... I am not sure what he is talking about.

Nor I. =20

> ... Hoping to try Poilane's loaf with Carl's starter, if that isn't=20
> considered too gauce?

Perhaps a bit presumptuous for a beginner.

Poil=E2ne. =E2 =3D alt131 on some computers.

But http://www.poilane.com works.

Would one be considered too gauche were one to suggest
starting with a simpler loaf?

(Possibly OK for Ulrike -- the old-Europe folks groove on=20
complexity, sometimes have ancient wood-fired ovens in their=20
back yards.)

---
DickA

Crombie

"Dee Randall"

<< I am going to have to really study the instructions and see where the
"potato stuff" is mentioned and discard that potato information and use
just
KArthur white all-purpose unbleached flour; unless someone else has a
better
suggestion. I only have on-hand KA white AP, KA bread flour, KA whole wheat
white, and Hodgson's stone ground rye. >>

I have always used bread flour in my starter and it works fine. I have KA
starter and Carl's. The Carl's starter seems to have a stronger sour taste
and I can definitely tell the difference between the two.

<< Since you have this problem, do you have any suggestion to others about
this
overflow, or are you completely baffled? I wonder what would have happened
if you would have done what I would have done -- put it in a Ball jar with
lid -- would the jar have exploded? >>

I really don't know. I keep my KA starter in a 1 1/2 qt plastic cannister
with a lid that can easily "lift" if needed so it would not explode - I
usually have 2 cups of starter in it. I put the Carl's starter in the
stoneware crock I got from King Arthur's website. Funny, I actually prefer
my Wal-Mart cheapo cannister to the expensive crock. I do know I will store
less starter than even the cup, though, in the future.

Carl's Starter + Mike's San Franciso Starter Recipe, First Attempt Yah Evets Sourdough 4 05-05-2009 07:47 PM
Carl's starter Nicki Sinclair Sourdough 13 28-05-2007 03:33 PM
Carl's starter Jeff Miller Sourdough 1 22-05-2007 08:07 PM
San Francisco sourdough starter and Carl's starter June Hughes Sourdough 7 29-03-2007 07:48 PM
Friends of Carl Starter and Liquid Starter Rod & BJ Sourdough 5 26-10-2003 07:48 PM