Crombie

Default "Healthy" Sourdough Hamburger or Hotdog Buns

This is a heart-healthy recipe - and, best of all, the buns are delicious.
I use this same recipe to make dinner rolls (if making dinner rolls, the
recipe will make 16). After you eat these, you will never eat a "white"
hamburger or hot dog bun again.

Sourdough Hamburger or Hotdog Buns

1 cup sourdough starter
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 TBSP cracked wheat (dry)
2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup 10-grain flour
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP dried parsley
2 TBSP wheat bran
2 TBSP grated romano or parmesan cheese

Add all ingredients to machine's bread pan in the order given. Set on dough
cycle and start. When dough cycle is complete (1 hour 20 minutes - 1 hour
40 minutes depending on machine), punch down the
down and roll into a log shape. Cut into eight pieces (ten if making hot
dog buns). Shape into hamburger buns. Cover with a very damp oiled rag and
put in a warm place to rise. Depending on the temperature of your house
this usually takes 2-6 hours. If I am in a hurry, I put mine in my oven
with the light on or the microwave that has a light underneath that keeps in
warm inside and they only take two hours to rise. If I am not in a hurry
I set them out on the counter and they usually 3-8 hours - depending on how
active your sourdough starter is. Bake 16-20 minutes at 350 in a regular
oven; 12-13 minutes in a speedbake convection oven. Use speedbake if you
have a convection oven.

Note: I bought a hot dog bun pan from KingArthurFlour and I love it. They
also have a hamburger pan but it is on back-order. These pans come with a
25-year warranty and are made by Chicago Metallic.

I use Bob's Red Mill 10-grain flour and buy my cracked wheat from KingArthur

Kenneth

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:31:26 -0500, "Crombie" > wrote:

>This is a heart-healthy recipe - and, best of all, the buns are delicious.

Howdy,

For it to be heart-healthy I would assume that you suggest that we eat
these without the hot dog. Is that correct? <bg>

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Dee Randall

"Crombie" > wrote in message
> This is a heart-healthy recipe - and, best of all, the buns are delicious.
> I use this same recipe to make dinner rolls (if making dinner rolls, the
> recipe will make 16). After you eat these, you will never eat a "white"
> hamburger or hot dog bun again.
>
> Sourdough Hamburger or Hotdog Buns
>
> 1 cup sourdough starter
> 2/3 cup buttermilk
> 2 TBSP cracked wheat (dry)
> 2 TBSP sugar
> 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
> 1 1/2 cups bread flour
> 1/2 cup oat flour
> 1/2 cup 10-grain flour
> 1/2 cup flax seed meal
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 TBSP dried parsley
> 2 TBSP wheat bran
> 2 TBSP grated romano or parmesan cheese
>
> Add all ingredients to machine's bread pan in the order given. Set on

dough
> cycle and start. When dough cycle is complete (1 hour 20 minutes - 1

hour
> 40 minutes depending on machine), punch down the
> down and roll into a log shape. Cut into eight pieces (ten if making hot
> dog buns). Shape into hamburger buns. Cover with a very damp oiled rag

and
> put in a warm place to rise. Depending on the temperature of your house
> this usually takes 2-6 hours. If I am in a hurry, I put mine in my oven
> with the light on or the microwave that has a light underneath that keeps

in
> warm inside and they only take two hours to rise. If I am not in a

hurry
> I set them out on the counter and they usually 3-8 hours - depending on

how
> active your sourdough starter is. Bake 16-20 minutes at 350 in a regular
> oven; 12-13 minutes in a speedbake convection oven. Use speedbake if you
> have a convection oven.
>
> Note: I bought a hot dog bun pan from KingArthurFlour and I love it.

They
> also have a hamburger pan but it is on back-order. These pans come with a
> 25-year warranty and are made by Chicago Metallic.
>
> I use Bob's Red Mill 10-grain flour and buy my cracked wheat from

KingArthur

The King Arthur cracked wheat you buy, is it like a bulgar, which is graded
in grades, such as fine, medium, large, or where I buy it as bulgar #1,
Bulgar #2 and so on?
Is it hard or is it like oat or wheat bran?
Thanks,
Dee

Crombie

"Dee Randall"

<< The King Arthur cracked wheat you buy, is it like a bulgar, which is
graded
in grades, such as fine, medium, large, or where I buy it as bulgar #1,
Bulgar #2 and so on? Is it hard or is it like oat or wheat bran? >>

100% organic cracked red wheat
It is hard.
I always let it soak in the starter/buttermilk mixture about 5-10 minutes
before adding the rest of my ingredients.

Hamburger buns pintlar@node1 Baking 4 04-07-2017 02:23 PM
Do you have a good recipe for Hamburger Buns? Pico Rico[_2_] General Cooking 24 20-11-2011 11:54 PM
REC: Hamburger buns ABM Curly Sue General Cooking 6 13-06-2006 05:32 AM
hamburger buns get hard Danny Kewl Preserving 31 17-02-2005 08:55 AM
Hamburger Buns Johnson (Cayman Designs) Recipes (moderated) 0 26-05-2004 02:51 PM