Sourdough (rec.food.sourdough) Discussing the hobby or craft of baking with sourdough. We are not just a recipe group, Our charter is to discuss the care, feeding, and breeding of yeasts and lactobacilli that make up sourdough cultures.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 25-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Samartha Deva
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

Samartha Deva wrote:

a typo

change from:

The method on my starter web pages does not reduce but only adds the
same amount, so the ratio of old refreshment/old stage part decreases i.
e. less and less is added relative to the old amount forcing it into
overripe state.


to:

The method on my starter web pages does not reduce but only adds the
same amount, so the ratio of refreshment/old stage part decreases i.
e. less and less is added relative to the old amount forcing it into
overripe state.



--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/

  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-02-2004, 04:41 AM
Kevin Breit
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:28:41 -0500, Kenneth wrote:
Also, (and I mean this respectfully) try to "worry" about all this a
bit less.


Would the fact that my starter smells a little bit more like glue than
sourdough be reason to worry?

Kevin
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Samartha Deva
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

Kevin Breit wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:28:41 -0500, Kenneth wrote:
Also, (and I mean this respectfully) try to "worry" about all this a
bit less.


Would the fact that my starter smells a little bit more like glue than
sourdough be reason to worry?

Don't worry - try to enjoy. That's aromatic alcohols, vinegar and who
knows what else they produce.

Makes good bread taste.

I think it's a very good sign.

Samartha



--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/
  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-02-2004, 07:13 AM
Aaron
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

Awe! I think I get it now. The faster the ph drops, the faster the
unwanted organisms are eliminated. Also, the competition for the
dwindling food supply sort of forces the starter in to "survival of
the fittest mode". Do I got it or am I still missing the point?

Either way, you've been a huge help in getting things on the right
track. It smells better and better with each refreshing. It actually
smells somewhat like yeast now. It should be good to use soon if the
smell is any indication. I'm just waiting for the explosive growth
that I've read about.


On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:22:32 -0700, Samartha Deva
wrote:

Samartha Deva wrote:

a typo

change from:

The method on my starter web pages does not reduce but only adds the
same amount, so the ratio of old refreshment/old stage part decreases i.
e. less and less is added relative to the old amount forcing it into
overripe state.


to:

The method on my starter web pages does not reduce but only adds the
same amount, so the ratio of refreshment/old stage part decreases i.
e. less and less is added relative to the old amount forcing it into
overripe state.



  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Kenneth
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:41:25 -0500, Kevin Breit
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:28:41 -0500, Kenneth wrote:
Also, (and I mean this respectfully) try to "worry" about all this a
bit less.


Would the fact that my starter smells a little bit more like glue than
sourdough be reason to worry?

Kevin


Hi again Kevin,

No.

Also, (and I mean this respectfully) try to "worry" about all this a
bit less.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."


  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Samartha Deva
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

Kenneth,

IMO - if somebody has never smelled a ripe full grain starter in his/her
life and all of a sudden it appears to be like glue smell, that's a very
valid reason to be concerned and ask.

Samartha

Kenneth wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:41:25 -0500, Kevin Breit
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:28:41 -0500, Kenneth wrote:
Also, (and I mean this respectfully) try to "worry" about all this a
bit less.


Would the fact that my starter smells a little bit more like glue than
sourdough be reason to worry?

Kevin


Hi again Kevin,

No.

Also, (and I mean this respectfully) try to "worry" about all this a
bit less.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."


--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Kenneth
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:23:27 -0700, Samartha Deva
wrote:

Kenneth,

IMO - if somebody has never smelled a ripe full grain starter in his/her
life and all of a sudden it appears to be like glue smell, that's a very
valid reason to be concerned and ask.

Samartha


Hi Samartha,

Where did I suggest that he not ask?

All the best,

--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Samartha Deva
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

Kenneth wrote:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:23:27 -0700, Samartha Deva
wrote:

Kenneth,

IMO - if somebody has never smelled a ripe full grain starter in his/her
life and all of a sudden it appears to be like glue smell, that's a very
valid reason to be concerned and ask.

Samartha


Hi Samartha,

Where did I suggest that he not ask?


Where did I write that you "suggested he not ask" ?

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/
  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Kenneth
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:25:21 -0700, Samartha Deva
wrote:

Where did I write that you "suggested he not ask" ?

Samartha


Hi Samartha,

Somehow, I suspect that you know my point...g

The gentleman used the word "worry" so many times that it made me
itch. I was just trying to suggest that he worry a bit less.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Samartha Deva
 
Posts: n/a
Default the smell of starter

Kenneth wrote:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:25:21 -0700, Samartha Deva
wrote:

Where did I write that you "suggested he not ask" ?

Samartha


Hi Samartha,

Somehow, I suspect that you know my point...g


So we would talk about unwritten/spoken words. g too

In relation to bread & sourdough - you say "very good bread", I
understand "very good bread", but we both refer to totally different
objects.

The gentleman used the word "worry" so many times that it made me
itch. I was just trying to suggest that he worry a bit less.


True, he used that word "worry" a lot, maybe it was just asking for more
information. I don't think basic "worry" - pending major upheaval - was
an issue here. That's how I saw it with that.

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carl's Starter + Mike's San Franciso Starter Recipe, First Attempt Yah Evets Sourdough 4 05-05-2009 07:47 PM
Starter smell Mary Fisher Sourdough 20 15-10-2008 10:46 PM
San Francisco sourdough starter and Carl's starter June Hughes Sourdough 7 29-03-2007 07:48 PM
green-apple smell to starter Robert Marshall Sourdough 0 31-07-2004 06:13 PM
Friends of Carl Starter and Liquid Starter Rod & BJ Sourdough 5 26-10-2003 07:48 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017