Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default resources for beginners and yeast

So, for water, the error of volume measurement at 30°C is
~(0.9982-0.9957)/.9982 or 0.25%?

Dont'ya know how that kind of erroneousness petrifies me?

I am used to errors in that range, probably because I make so many of them

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Ice wrote:
> So, for water, the error of volume measurement at 30°C is
> ~(0.9982-0.9957)/.9982 or 0.25%?
>
> Dont'ya know how that kind of erroneousness petrifies me?
>
> I am used to errors in that range, probably because I make so many of them

Ok. So that's settled. On to the next order of business.

How much does a cup of flour weigh? We're talkin' all-purpose, white,
not bromated (sorry Dick).

I want figures to the mole, dammit. Avogadro's number and all that jazz.
--
Jeff Miller
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 15 Aug 2007, at 23:33, Mike Romain wrote:

>>> Oh shit! I'll have to revamp my whole procedure and probably
>>> upgrade my
>>> computer to manage all the calculations in time.
>>> If somebody opens a window - oh man... will it ever end with this
>>> sourdough business?
>>>
>>> Bummer!
>>>
>>> Sam

> I feel sorry for the people that have made Sourdough for thousands
> of years.
>
> What 'did' they do before the days of computers, digital scales and
> electrically powered constant temperature and humidity boxes to 'grow'
> their bread??
>
> ;-)
>
> Mike

Yawn. Oh for goodness sake guys. There's just so many ways you're
being so completely inane. It's like laughing at "Homo erectus" no,
it's worse than that.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 16 Aug 2007, at 03:39, Sam wrote:

> I know two bits from maybe 100 years ago, what "they" did on one
> place:

Huh ???

> That was told by a guy who asked his father who was a boy...

They started young then, wow.

> And - you know all the other stuff which is now different from
> earlier days? ...
>
> Sam

I really don't get why so many people keep harping on about how
people used to make bread. The amount of times I hear 'Well, how did
they do it on the Oregon trail...?' I really don't give a stuff.
What's important is what is the best and simplest way with good
compromise that I can make bread that I enjoy eating now. Despite all
protestations from one or two the quickest and most reliable way I
can make the loaf of bread that I want, not that is just good, that I
set out to make is with a tare-able scale. If by some weird
catastrophe society collapsed and I could no longer buy batteries or
a new scale and assuming wheat was still available and I didn't have
more pressing things on my mind like not being eaten by rapid dogs, I
know I'd be able to make a good loaf without scales. I know because
when I'm at someone else's house who doesn't have scales I do and
very well, but it's still quicker and easier with a scale. I can't
help seeing the irony of those that cling to the 'simplicity' of cups
typing away at their computers.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Jim wrote:
> Remember this? lol. Things do get off topic don't they?

Not at all! YOU scared "her" away!

Ah - another lol'er :-)

S.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Ice" > wrote in message om...
> > So, for water, the error of volume measurement at 30°C is
> > ~(0.9982-0.9957)/.9982 or 0.25%? Dont'ya know how
> > that kind of erroneousness petrifies me?

> I am used to errors in that range, probably because I make
> so many of them.

D'ya know this, smart-a**?: You can determine both "hydration*"
and cup capacity, in flour weight/mass, by 1. keeping track of the volume
of water and number of cups of flour used , and 2. weighing the
finished dough. It is kind of an algebraic kind of a thing that
smart-a**s and high-school student might like. Failure to figure
in salt weight may cause an intolerable error.

--
Dicky (who scoops and measures flour with a 16-oz.. bean can or
8 oz. tomato sauce can)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Will wrote:

The computer will be cheap... it's the new scale that will break you.
Scales are cheap, I bought a nice one for $140.00 and you can use it for
other things beside making bread.

Like I weight the water to rice I cook, perfit rice every time. (:-)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Jim wrote:

> I really don't get why so many people keep harping on about how
> people used to make bread. The amount of times I hear 'Well, how did
> they do it on the Oregon trail...?' I really don't give a stuff.
> What's important is what is the best and simplest way with good
> compromise that I can make bread that I enjoy eating now. Despite all
> protestations from one or two the quickest and most reliable way I
> can make the loaf of bread that I want, not that is just good, that I
> set out to make is with a tare-able scale. If by some weird
> catastrophe society collapsed and I could no longer buy batteries or
> a new scale and assuming wheat was still available and I didn't have
> more pressing things on my mind like not being eaten by rapid dogs, I
> know I'd be able to make a good loaf without scales. I know because
> when I'm at someone else's house who doesn't have scales I do and
> very well, but it's still quicker and easier with a scale. I can't
> help seeing the irony of those that cling to the 'simplicity' of cups
> typing away at their computers.
>
> Jim

The esay way to get bread is go to the story and buy some.

Joe

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Dick Adams wrote:
> 1. keeping track of the volume
> of water and number of cups of flour used , and 2. weighing the
> finished dough.

never works - always off!

in my reality

&& does not matter either (for me).

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 16 Aug 2007, at 14:21, Joe Umstead wrote:

> The esay way to get bread is go to the story and buy some.
>
> Joe

Yeah it is but it tastes like crap and costs about five times as much.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Aug 16, 9:10 am, Joe Umstead > wrote:

> Scales are cheap, I bought a nice one for $140.00

Joe,

I hate to break this to you but $140 isn't going to measure .001
grams.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 16 Aug 2007, at 17:20, Will wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I hate to break this to you but $140 isn't going to measure .001
> grams.

Hi

1, why would you want to with sourdough?
2, $140 for scales? Are you mad? lol
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Sam" > wrote in message news:mailman.9.1187274163.25616.rec.food.sourdough @www.mountainbitwarrior..com...
> Dick Adams wrote:
> > 1. keeping track of the volume
> > of water and number of cups of flour used , and 2. weighing the
> > finished dough.

> never works - always off!

Takes a smart-a** to do it right.

> in my reality

Perception of reality is fragile. For one thing, it depends on what
you are smoking, or on what kind of herbs and seeds that you are
baking into your bakery products.

> && does not matter either (for me).

Ultimately nothing matters.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> How much does a cup of flour weigh? We're talkin' all-purpose, white, not
> bromated (sorry Dick).
>
> I want figures to the mole, dammit. Avogadro's number and all that jazz.

And the answer is........

"It depends"

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Remember this? lol. Things do get off topic don't they?

Good thing topics are only suggestions

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Ice" > wrote in message
om...
> > So, for water, the error of volume measurement at 30°C is
> > ~(0.9982-0.9957)/.9982 or 0.25%? Dont'ya know how
> > that kind of erroneousness petrifies me?

> I am used to errors in that range, probably because I make
> so many of them.

You can determine both "hydration*"
and cup capacity, in flour weight/mass, by 1. keeping track of the volume
of water and number of cups of flour used , and 2. weighing the
finished dough. It is kind of an algebraic kind of a thing that
a high-school student might like. Failure to figure
in salt weight may cause an intolerable error.

Yes that would work too. And yes, I can do algebra. Of course there is no
need to mess with the volume measurment unless it amuses you. I perefer to
figure in the mass of the salt.

There are many ways to get the job done. And, there appear to be many
opinioins on the best one. Further evidence in support of the spare parts
theorem
--
Dicky (who scoops and measures flour with a 16-oz.. bean can or
8 oz. tomato sauce can)

No sense wasting those valuable cans.
________________________________
* Here Dicky invokes the bakers' misuse of the term "hydration"
to indicate weight of water as per cent of flour weight.

** I assumed you meant that.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 16 Aug 2007, at 19:00, Dick Adams wrote:

> Ultimately nothing matters.
> _______________________________

Ah so you're a nihilist Dicky. So Dicky, if nothing matters why do
you get out of bed in the morning? Why do you bake bread?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 17 Aug 2007, at 06:18, Ice wrote:

>> Remember this? lol. Things do get off topic don't they?
>>

> Good thing topics are only suggestions

Roll my eyes. Yeah okay but I'm not so sure the OP or those trying to
search the archives for useful information would agree.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 17 Aug 2007, at 06:27, Ice wrote:

> "Dick Adams" <Bad...m> wrote in message
> No sense wasting those valuable cans.
> ________________________________
> * Here Dicky invokes the bakers' misuse of the term "hydration"
> to indicate weight of water as per cent of flour weight.
>
> ** I assumed you meant that.

Ice, for such a smart a** you haven't got the hang of quoted text yet.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Jim" > wrote in message news:mailman.20.1187346801.30441.rec.food.sourdoug ...

> On 16 Aug 2007, at 19:00, Dick Adams wrote:
> > Ultimately nothing matters.

> Ah so you're a nihilist Dicky. So Dicky, if nothing matters why do
> you get out of bed in the morning? Why do you bake bread?

Because Ultimation has not yet occurred.

(It is lately said that it is expected to come as a whimper, as opposed
to a bang.)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

>>> Remember this? lol. Things do get off topic don't they?
>>>

>> Good thing topics are only suggestions

> Roll my eyes. Yeah okay but I'm not so sure the OP or those trying to
> search the archives for useful information would agree.

Good point.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Ice, for such a smart a** you haven't got the hang of quoted text yet.

Looks fine here

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 17 Aug 2007, at 14:08, Dick Adams wrote:

>> Ah so you're a nihilist Dicky. So Dicky, if nothing matters why do
>> you get out of bed in the morning? Why do you bake bread?

> Because Ultimation has not yet occurred.

Thought so, you're a confused nihilist then. So no cause and effect,
no root of happiness, no root of suffering? That does explain a lot.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Jim" > wrote in message news:mailman.24.1187369438.30441.rec.food.sourdoug ...
> On 17 Aug 2007, at 14:08, Dick Adams wrote:
>
> >> Ah so you're a nihilist Dicky. So Dicky, if nothing matters why do
> >> you get out of bed in the morning? Why do you bake bread?

> > Because Ultimation has not yet occurred.

> Thought so, you're a confused nihilist then. So no cause and effect,
> no root of happiness, no root of suffering? That does explain a lot.

Lost a line somewhere. Totally non sequitur anyway.

What was it that you though you were trying to explain?

???

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 17 Aug 2007, at 17:46, Dick Adams wrote:

>> Thought so, you're a confused nihilist then. So no cause and effect,
>> no root of happiness, no root of suffering? That does explain a lot.

> Lost a line somewhere. Totally non sequitur anyway.
>
> What was it that you though you were trying to explain?
>
> ???

I wasn't using logic Dick, nor was I using text book English. I don't
think for a minute that you're either taking it seriously or would
even listen if you did.

Jim

resources for beginners and yeast [email protected] Sourdough 0 12-08-2007 05:43 PM
beginners ME General Cooking 3 23-12-2005 01:47 PM
CHOCOLATE RESOURCES Phil Clark Chocolate 0 19-12-2005 12:54 PM
Beginners Welcome! Ms. Bert General Cooking 0 27-11-2005 08:16 PM
Need recipe (etc.) resources for 100+ Charlotte L. Blackmer General Cooking 8 24-04-2005 10:39 PM