Samuel Fromartz

Default chick pea and fava bean flour

I've read French bakers use fava bean flour (farine de feve) as a dough
enhancer.

Joe Ortiz, in The Village Baker, writes that added at a rate of 2 percent or
less, the flour helps "add flavor, boost the rising process, and whiten the
crumb of breads made with less refined flours that have a high ash content
and therefore a grey coloration." (p. 13).

Since I could not find fava flour, I added garbanzo bean (chick pea) flour
and seemed to get a lighter crumb in a sourdough bagette. Has anyone tried
this? I've only done this experiment once but will post results as it
progresses.

Sam

William Waller

I've used soy flour successfully and it's easier to find. I understand
it helps keep the baked loaves fresher.
On Thursday, February 19, 2004, at 07:46 PM, Samuel Fromartz wrote:

> I've read French bakers use fava bean flour (farine de feve) as a dough
> enhancer.
>
> Joe Ortiz, in The Village Baker, writes that added at a rate of 2
> percent or
> less, the flour helps "add flavor, boost the rising process, and
> whiten the
> crumb of breads made with less refined flours that have a high ash
> content
> and therefore a grey coloration." (p. 13).
>
> Since I could not find fava flour, I added garbanzo bean (chick pea)
> flour
> and seemed to get a lighter crumb in a sourdough bagette. Has anyone
> tried
> this? I've only done this experiment once but will post results as it
> progresses.
>
> Sam

http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/lis...food.sourdough

Roy Basan

Samuel Fromartz > wrote in message >...
> I've read French bakers use fava bean flour (farine de feve) as a dough
> enhancer.
>
> Joe Ortiz, in The Village Baker, writes that added at a rate of 2 percent or
> less, the flour helps "add flavor, boost the rising process, and whiten the
> crumb of breads made with less refined flours that have a high ash content
> and therefore a grey coloration." (p. 13).
>
> Since I could not find fava flour, I added garbanzo bean (chick pea) flour
> and seemed to get a lighter crumb in a sourdough bagette. Has anyone tried
> this? I've only done this experiment once but will post results as it
> progresses.
>
> Sam

Generally any legume flour is suited as bread enhancer. It can include
many kind of beans( chickpea,broad,lima ,soya etc) . but the well
known legume flours for dough enhancing purposes is the soya flour and
the fava bean.
the soya has more potent effect than the faba bean. I can use only 5
gram of enzyme acitve soya flour opposing to 10 gram of similar enzyme
acitve fava bean flour per kilogram of flour. If you add more it will
have a pronounce effect on bread flavor ( slight percieved rancidity)
as the enzymes act on the flour fatty acids and if the enzyme activity
is excess it can create flavor changes in the finished bread . That is
the reason that artisan bakers are cautious in using such enzyne
active bean flours in bread making.
In fact only the industrial bakers are popular users of such legume
flours as they expect their bread to have whiter crumb while the
artisanal bakers want a creamier natural looking bread crumb with
uneven crumb appearance.
Roy
Jeff Sheinberg

In rec.food.sourdough Samuel Fromartz wrote:
> I've read French bakers use fava bean flour (farine de feve) as a dough
> enhancer.
>
> Joe Ortiz, in The Village Baker, writes that added at a rate of 2 percent or
> less, the flour helps "add flavor, boost the rising process, and whiten the
> crumb of breads made with less refined flours that have a high ash content
> and therefore a grey coloration." (p. 13).

Regarding fava bean flour, I suggest that you have a look at,

"The Taste of Bread", by Raymond Calvel
Translator Ronald L. Wirtz
ISBN 0-8342-1646-9

or the original French edition,

"Le Gout du Pain", by Raymond Calvel
ISBN 2-86547-016-4

--
Jeff Sheinberg
for email addr: remove "l1." and change ".invalid" to ".net"

Fava Update sf[_9_] General Cooking 11 24-05-2010 05:41 PM
Fava bean flour? Ricavito Diabetic 5 17-05-2009 05:42 PM
Fava Bean Soup with Country Ham and Pecorino Cheese Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 26-06-2008 03:18 AM
Fava bean substitute? Frank Warner General Cooking 9 20-05-2006 03:59 PM
fava bean query... Jbrodie1750 General Cooking 2 13-04-2004 06:11 PM