Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Brewing beer (pseudo-lambic) with sourdough starter?

Has anybody had any success or failure brewing a sour beer (I am
thinking lambic style) using sourdough starter for the fermentation?
I am well aware that the traditional lambic process is rather delicate
and takes years to complete, so I'm quite aware that using sourdough
culture is highly unlikely to result in something that tastes like
true lambic, but I thought it might be an interesting experiment
anyway. Anybody have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks,

Randall
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:11:52 -0000, Randall Nortman
> wrote:

>I am well aware that the traditional lambic process is rather delicate
>and takes years to complete,

Howdy,

What about the process takes years?

My understanding is that the sweet wort is simply poured
into trays in which wild yeasts can come to rest, and then
multiply.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Randall Nortman" > wrote in message ...
> Has anybody had any success or failure brewing a sour beer (I am
> thinking lambic style) using sourdough starter for the fermentation?
> I am well aware that the traditional lambic process is rather delicate
> and takes years to complete, so I'm quite aware that using sourdough
> culture is highly unlikely to result in something that tastes like
> true lambic, but I thought it might be an interesting experiment
> anyway. Anybody have any experience or suggestions?

I am getting together a kit of things that can be added to cheap beer to
make it taste and look wierd. But first I would like to perfect the drops
to go into grain alcohol to turn it into Jack Daniels, now that ethanol is
getting plentiful. I will keep you posted.

Also on my bench is the sourdough start that yields a ready-to-bake
loaf when it is dropped into water.

--
Dicky
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 2007-08-09, Kenneth > wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:11:52 -0000, Randall Nortman
> wrote:
>
>>I am well aware that the traditional lambic process is rather delicate
>>and takes years to complete,

> Howdy,
>
> What about the process takes years?

Traditional lambic is aged for 3 years or more. Traditional geuze is
a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old lambics. Younger lambics are
certainly out there, but I think the connoisseurs consider them to be
generally quite inferior. I have tried some of that traditional geuze
lambic myself, and while I happen to like it quite a bit, I can see
why it is not a market leader -- it is dry and very tart. Probably
tastes like vinegar to most folks.

> My understanding is that the sweet wort is simply poured
> into trays in which wild yeasts can come to rest, and then
> multiply.
>
> What am I missing?

A heck of a lot, if you're interested in doing it the traditional way.
For the gory details: http://hbd.org/brewery/library/LmbicJL0696.html

This is not to say that the traditional lambic process is the *only*
way to brew sour beer. I am personally looking for some shortcuts, as
around here, traditional geuze sells for about $8 per 16oz bottle.

--
Randall
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 2007-08-09, Dick Adams > wrote:

> I am getting together a kit of things that can be added to cheap beer to
> make it taste and look wierd. But first I would like to perfect the drops
> to go into grain alcohol to turn it into Jack Daniels, now that ethanol is
> getting plentiful. I will keep you posted.
>
> Also on my bench is the sourdough start that yields a ready-to-bake
> loaf when it is dropped into water.

I've been away from this group for a few years now. It's good to see
that you're still as helpful and amusing as ever. Thanks for sharing.

--
Randall

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Randall Nortman wrote:
> On 2007-08-09, Dick Adams > wrote:
>>
>> I am getting together a kit of things that can be added to cheap beer to
>> make it taste and look wierd. But first I would like to perfect the drops
>> to go into grain alcohol to turn it into Jack Daniels, now that ethanol is
>> getting plentiful. I will keep you posted.
>>
>> Also on my bench is the sourdough start that yields a ready-to-bake
>> loaf when it is dropped into water.

> I've been away from this group for a few years now. It's good to see
> that you're still as helpful and amusing as ever. Thanks for sharing.

Being that you're engaging in a detailed discussion about "lambics" and
"geuzes," and the brewing process itself, perhaps you'd receive more
nuanced answers in one of the brewing groups?

B/