Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Some Camping SD Cooking Photos and a bit of a trip report

I don't know if you folks like cooking and food stories, but I guess I
will find out fast eh.

My wife and I went out for 6 days last week camping in the deep Canadian
Bush south of James Bay and 'just' south of Algonquin Park (25 miles
from the nearest house or anything except satellite phone) in our Jeep
CJ7 and took our old Coleman stove and new Coleman fold up oven with us.

I brought a lump of SD starter and flour (The SOB raccoon didn't get the
flour bin until the last night anyway, great mess) along to make our
bread products. We didn't bring any store bought bread stuffs, I make
our daily bread these days, so like variety.

The oven worked great, I made SD bread, rolls, a cinnamon, walnut,
raisin, brown sugar and honey roll and really nice English Muffins.

http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3896531243
http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3896531130

http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3896531199
http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3896531165

http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3896522412

I forgot to take photos of the English muffins, but they were really
nice split and toasted on the Coleman grill with bacon and eggs on them
and fried sliced potatoes on the side.

We also had a chicken I roasted with potatoes and carrots in the pan
bottom and stuffed with SD bread bits, poultry spices, mushrooms,
onions, and sausage bits.

Marinated flank steak with grilled SD Garlic bread with fresh garlic
another night and beef bourguignonne the last night with a Canadian wild
rice and Indian Basmati rice mix.

We got a bunch of wild blueberries and I made a small 8" pastry crust
blueberry pie in a fry pan that fit the oven one night, mmmmm...

We also had salad makings and a bunch of salad dressings along.

I was going to make a small pizza or pizza pockets for munchies with
some leftover dough from the cinnamon roll and I had it stashed in one
cooler, but the bunjy cord unhooking Coon decided 'he' wanted that
piece of dough one night.

That raccoon was wicked! First night he got into a zip up drink and
veggie cooler by unzipping it and took 6 ears of fresh corn one at a
time up onto a picnic table some locals built at this site and ate them
one at a time. Not 'one' kernel left! He took a couple apples to go
with it for desert....

So next night he goes for the back window on my Jeep CJ7's soft top to
see what is inside and again, hits the freaking zipper corner and opens
it up and in he goes. Well, he got into my emergency box of dehydrated
soups and sauces and ate every freaking one. There were over a dozen
bags meant for 1 liter of soup each... He left a mess of missed stuff
in the bottom back of the Jeep so I left it for him to clean up the next
night and he obliged nicely.

http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3896507143
http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3896507116

I took all the leftover spice packs and other smelly thing and hung them
in a tree, that worked for them.... I stashed the rest of the dried
goods in the triple bunjy corded clear plastic 2'x2'x3' box sitting in a
rack 6' up in the air above my spare tire, but the bunjy cord unhooking
Coon decided 'he' wanted in there too....

Then I leave the back open so he doesn't chew any more and he comes back
and gets the bunjy cords off the cooler in the back box of the CJ7 by
'boinging' the cords from the sound of it I thought, ya right, upon
later examination he left teeth marks in the plastic hook coatings and
unhooked the suckers. I was ok with the noise until I heard the cooler
lid flip off so I got up and went after him. The SOB had a pack of date
squares in his mouth and wasn't going nowhere so I gave him a good swat
on his ass and he dropped them. Well, he sat there looking at me as
indignant as you could want, like 'how dare I?' and didn't move until I
came after him again, then he picked up the pack of squares and screwed
off with them!

I then put that cooler under the 4x4 rail of the picnic table so no way
is he getting back in there! Unless he gets a bear to help... The other
cooler has a latch and it is on top of my cargo rack above my spare tire.

Then on the last night, he goes for the can of flour I have had sitting
on the front floor of the Jeep since day one and blows about 7 lb of
flour all over the place AND he sees a box of Ritz crackers through the
clear back corner of the box on top of my rack!!! Well he got up there
and chewed on the box for a while getting nowhere then went for the
bunjy cord hooks and undid 4 cords, opened the top, ripped and tossed
out on the ground a bag of cheddar 'Goldfish' crackers, a bag of
powdered milk goes out next and he pulls the Ritz box out, sits on the
cooler next to it and eats them all. He left the vegetable thins after
opening and checking them and left open cashews, raisins, chocolate
chips and tons of other stiff alone....

He didn't like potatoes or onions or garlic or carrots either.

It was a 'hot' week and the lake we camped on the side of was sweet and
cool.

It was a fun week!

Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
BH BH is offline

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:31:07 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>I don't know if you folks like cooking and food stories, but I guess I
>will find out fast eh.

LOL

Thanks, Mike!

Burney dot Huff at Mindspring dot com