Bob

Default BBQ-Bob's Sourdough Bread

Ok, sports fans, the moment you all have been waiting for - or at
least Adams has.

Ol' BBQ-Bob has posted his latest sourdough creation for you all to
peruse at your leisure, including a detailed recipe with complete
instructions on how to achieve glorious sourdough.

In addition, the use of a chrome-plated metal bowl is described to
deal with slack dough. Overall, notice how numerous and well-formed
the large holes in the crumb are.

http://www.freewebs.com/texas-bbq/

As always, we welcome friendly constructive criticism.

Marcella Tracy Peek

In article >,
(Bob) wrote:

http://www.freewebs.com/texas-bbq/

Nice crumb on the bread.

I was thinking the other night about your baking in a bowl. I was
wondering if you used a baking ring instead you might get the results
you desire with a more standard shape. It could rise in the ring on a
baking sheet and then be slashed and baked. I suppose you could take
the ring off partway through baking, but I don't know why that would be
necessary. Anyway, the rings aren't too expensive and are available in
many sizes. Might be fun to play with.

marcella
Bob

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:49:36 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> wrote:

>> http://www.freewebs.com/texas-bbq/

>Nice crumb on the bread.

Thanks. It has been an odyssey for us all.

>I was thinking the other night about your baking in a bowl.

I have tried the pyrex bowl and now the chrome-[lated metal bowl.

>I was wondering if you used a baking ring instead you might get the results
>you desire with a more standard shape.

I assume by "baking ring" you mean a springform pan. If so, I gave
that some thought, and almost bought one, but Ol' Crockpot Adams
posted his pan bread and that inspired me to try this variation.

>It could rise in the ring on a
>baking sheet and then be slashed and baked.

The thing that is of concern is the slackness. If you let the dough
get loose, it will go frisbee on you in a heartbeat.

>I suppose you could take
>the ring off partway through baking, but I don't know why that would be
>necessary.

I believe it would be absolutely necessary to set the loaf. If you
removed the ring before setting the loaf, the raw dough would frisbee
on you.

>Anyway, the rings aren't too expensive and are available in
>many sizes. Might be fun to play with.

May I recommend that you experiement with a very slack dough. One of
the many advantages of this hobby is that it costs so little money to
try things out. Make a very slack dough and see what happens when you
try what you suggest. Be sure to let us know, because as I said above,
I like the idea of a spingform ring.

Bob

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:49:36 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> wrote:

>> http://www.freewebs.com/texas-bbq/

>Nice crumb on the bread.

Hey Adams - did you hear that!

There is a new generation of sourdough aficionados around here.

Deal with it.

Dick Adams

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:49:36 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> wrote:

> >Nice crumb on the bread.

Bob" > queried in message

> Hey Adams - did you hear that!

Marcella is charitable. Bet she would've lent you her scanner if she
could've. It was a tear-jerking story about your dearth of scanner
access.

> There is a new generation of sourdough aficionados around here.
> Deal with it.

There's a new generation of mice under my sink and a shitpile of
snow in my driveway. After all the snow is gone, there'll be a new
generation of mosqitoes.

So it goes!

(You may be part way to the Schlotsky Bun.)

(To each his bun!).

---
DickA

Bob

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 03:15:38 GMT, "Dick Adams" >
wrote:

>Marcella is charitable.

Then she earns my love.

>Bet she would've lent you her scanner if she could've.

Interesting proposition.

>It was a tear-jerking story about your dearth of scanner access.

My wife uses her scanner for business, so I appreciate her concerns.

As we know, the smell of sourdough on a scanned document is an
aphrodisiac.

>> There is a new generation of sourdough aficionados around here.
>> Deal with it.

>There's a new generation of mice under my sink and a shitpile of
>snow in my driveway. After all the snow is gone, there'll be a new
>generation of mosqitoes.

Move to Texas.

It is the Promised Land, Western Division.

drhowarddrfinedrhoward

>>There's a new generation of mice under my sink and a shitpile of
>>snow in my driveway. After all the snow is gone, there'll be a new
>>generation of mosqitoes.

Gentleman: "You're drunk!"

WC Fields: "Yeah, well you're ugly. But when I wake up, I'll be sober."

Dick Adams

Oops, was crossposted thread.

"drhowarddrfinedrhoward" >
wrote in message ...

> WC Fields: "Yeah, well you're ugly. But when I wake up, I'll be sober."

W.C. Fields -- wasn't he the one who said "Anyone who hates dogs, small
children, and nOObies, can be all bad!"?

See http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/W.%5FC.%5FFields/

See there, also, Yogi Berra and Abraham Lincoln.

Guide to Sourdough FAQs at
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

---
DickA

" If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas."
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Marcella Tracy Peek

In article >,
(Bob) wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:49:36 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> > wrote:

http://www.freewebs.com/texas-bbq/

> >Nice crumb on the bread.

> Thanks. It has been an odyssey for us all.
>
> >I was thinking the other night about your baking in a bowl.

> I have tried the pyrex bowl and now the chrome-[lated metal bowl.
>
> >I was wondering if you used a baking ring instead you might get the results
> >you desire with a more standard shape.

> I assume by "baking ring" you mean a springform pan. If so, I gave
> that some thought, and almost bought one, but Ol' Crockpot Adams
> posted his pan bread and that inspired me to try this variation.

I should think that would work as well. A baking ring is similar to the
outer rim of a springform pan without the hinged opening - just a ring
of metal. They come in various sizes.

> >It could rise in the ring on a
> >baking sheet and then be slashed and baked.

> The thing that is of concern is the slackness. If you let the dough
> get loose, it will go frisbee on you in a heartbeat.

I was thinking you would slash and bake with the ring still on.

> May I recommend that you experiement with a very slack dough. One of
> the many advantages of this hobby is that it costs so little money to
> try things out. Make a very slack dough and see what happens when you
> try what you suggest. Be sure to let us know, because as I said above,
> I like the idea of a spingform ring.

I do. I prefer the baguette shape, so I use one of those double loaf
pans that someone here described recently as looking like seagull wings.
I line with parchment and add my shaped loaves. Rise and retard in
fridge then slash and bake all in the pan. Here's an older picture.
No, it wasn't scanned :-) But it will give you an idea of what I end up
with when the sourdough gods are smiling.

Maybe next week I'll delve into the realms of round loaves.

marcella

Marcella Tracy Peek

Sorry, forgot the link....http://www.peek.org/pictures/sourdough.jpg

> Maybe next week I'll delve into the realms of round loaves.
>
> marcella

Bob

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:05:07 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> wrote:

>> The thing that is of concern is the slackness. If you let the dough
>> get loose, it will go frisbee on you in a heartbeat.

>I was thinking you would slash and bake with the ring still on.

I wanted someone to make a hemispherical springform banneton which
could be used to set the bread for 10 minutes at 550F and then allow
you to remove the banneton form entirely so the crust is exposed to
direct oven heat.

But that chrome bowl works so well I do not need the springform any
more. The volume of the chrome bowl is such that a recipe using 3 1/2
cups of flour fills the bowl just enough that when the rise is
complete the bowl is filled. That makes a nice size loaf for my
purposes.

>I prefer the baguette shape,

So do I.

> so I use one of those double loaf
>pans that someone here described recently as looking like seagull wings.

I have a 3 station Chicago Metallic baguette pan. But of late I have
been making very slack dough and that baguette pan doesn't work. I end
up with loaves that look like squashed eels with a kazillion little
pimples on one side.

I could use parchament but that would prevent the dough from breathing
thru the little holes. Maybe I need to explore this option so I can go
back to baguettes. I can use the chrome bowl to make kimchi.

[Speaking of which, this week's kimchi has a can of cut up anchovie
filets in it. I love anchovies so I think this variation is going to
be a real winner. I will know in 1 week when it finishes fermenting.]

>I line with parchment and add my shaped loaves.

Yours must not be coated with non-stick. Mine is and there are a
kazillion little holes all over. Those are to let the fermentation
gases out so the dough won't form gas pockets at the metal interface.

>Here's an older picture.
>No, it wasn't scanned :-) But it will give you an idea of what I end up
>with when the sourdough gods are smiling.

Where's the picture?

>Maybe next week I'll delve into the realms of round loaves.

That chrome bowl is not a perfect hemishpere - the bottom is flattened
so it will sit on a counter without wobbling. That has the effect of
making the loaf of bread somewhat squat at the apex, which means the
cross-section is more uniform across the middle 2/3 of the loaf.

The smaller ends are for filching, where there is a lot more crust per
crumb, so nothing goes to waste. That part usually goes first because
it is a favorite with the sourdough bandits around here. I sit the
loaf out the first day and it gets smaller and smaller each time I
look at it - yet no one is ever around it that I can see.

I usually end up with a loaf that consists of the inner 2/3 squared on
all 4 sides, which thanks to the flat bottom makes for pretty uniform
slices, much better than a conventional boule shape where each slice
is different.

Bob

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:07:19 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> wrote:

>Sorry, forgot the link....http://www.peek.org/pictures/sourdough.jpg

That is a very large baguette. And the holes look like you pumped the
dough with gas from the outside. Does that refrigerator rest cause the
holes to form like that. What is the detailed recipe, preferrably in
volume measure?

Brian Mailman

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

> I should think that would work as well. A baking ring is similar to the
> outer rim of a springform pan without the hinged opening - just a ring
> of metal. They come in various sizes.

Also calld "flan rings" and easy enough to make one from aluminum foil.

B/
Ed Bechtel

Bob,

Thank you for posting picture of your bread. Pretty good for 2nd loaf. Next
you should consider showing photo of the entire loaf. I am curious as to what
the crust looks like after being partly baked in a Wok. (Meant in a friendly
and constructive way. )

OBTW. On your web site, is that a picture of you? You look remarkably like
Indiana Jones.

Ed
Reg

Bob wrote:

> I have no way to photograph it digitally. I suppose I could shoot it
> with conventional film and scan the resulting picture. Let me have
> some time to get the procedure down better.

If you don't have a scanner you can stop in to a Kinko's (or your
local equivalent) and scan them yourself for a very small fee, then
take the files home on floppy or zip disks. I used to do this before I
got a scanner.

Bob

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:51:25 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>> I have no way to photograph it digitally. I suppose I could shoot it
>> with conventional film and scan the resulting picture. Let me have
>> some time to get the procedure down better.

>If you don't have a scanner you can stop in to a Kinko's (or your
>local equivalent) and scan them yourself for a very small fee, then
>take the files home on floppy or zip disks. I used to do this before I
>got a scanner.

I finally talked my daughter into scanning that slice of bread for me,
but I had to promise that I would maintain her system for her.

You would have thought that being able to filch world-class sourdough
straight out of the oven would have been sufficient reward (she is my
worst filcher around here.)

The earlier poster wanted a picture of the crust, which I could not
provide from a scan. It would take a camera to achieve that.

Real Sourdough Bread in a Bread Machine Antilope Sourdough 0 13-02-2012 05:56 PM
Sourdough bread Paul General Cooking 0 17-06-2009 09:32 AM
Sourdough bread and the bread machine dough cycle Russell Fletcher Sourdough 12 03-01-2007 09:04 PM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:58 PM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:58 PM