FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   Pre-Ferment? (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/13011-pre-ferment.html)

Brian Mailman 04-12-2003 04:54 PM

Pre-Ferment?

Lemme get this straight... the latest recommendation is to mix the flour
and water and let it sit for 3 hours or so before mixing in the starter?

I'll do anything to get bread like Ed's.... or at least have the option
to make something like that.

B/

Ed Bechtel 06-12-2003 09:21 PM

Pre-Ferment?

Brian wrote:
<< Lemme get this straight... the latest recommendation is to mix the flour
and water and let it sit for 3 hours or so before mixing in the starter? >>

Ed Replies:
If you're referring to the Bread With Holes post, there were many good
recommendations which I am trying one at a time. They included long
preferments and long autolyse for structure and flavor.

The bread I showed did not have a 3 hour autolyse before adding starter.

Also that loaf was on the ragged edge of flying crust and was mostly holey from
the Dick Adams theory on thermodynamics that baked on something hot enough even
an unleavened plop of dough will outgas, rise, and make holes.

My method was:
- 35% very active starter (wheatmontana white 100% hydration)
- wheatmontana white flour (high protein bread flour)
- all but last ounce of water
- knead for 2 minutes, rest 15, add salt, knead 7 minutes
- add last ounce of water during last few minutes of kneading
- rise 3 hours in mixer bowl at 80-90F. No oil on bowl.
- flop dough on floured board, quickly fold into long shape and put in rice
floured couche.
- rise 30 minutes, turn loaf over onto parchment
- rise 40 minutes, try to slash sprawling pancake then laugh
- put on 500F stone middle shelf, add 3/4 cup boiling water in 700F iron
skillet beneath stone.
- bake 5 minutes, then 15 more at 425F

I have never been successful with other flours including gold metal, arrowhead
mills and Bob's Red Mill.

Ed Bechtel

PS - I am trying to repeat last week's loaf. Guarantee it will look nothing
more than skinny wonder bread with a bad tan. Probably won't share those
photos.

Brian Mailman 07-12-2003 06:14 PM

Pre-Ferment?

Ed Bechtel wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> << Lemme get this straight... the latest recommendation is to mix the flour
> and water and let it sit for 3 hours or so before mixing in the starter? >>
>
> Ed Replies:
> If you're referring to the Bread With Holes post,

Yes.

> The bread I showed did not have a 3 hour autolyse before adding starter.

That's the fancy word for "letting it sit undisturbed," yah? (I look at
it and see "self-eat/decompose."

> My method was:
> - 35% very active starter (wheatmontana white 100% hydration)
> - wheatmontana white flour (high protein bread flour)
> - all but last ounce of water
> - knead for 2 minutes, rest 15, add salt, knead 7 minutes
> - add last ounce of water during last few minutes of kneading
> - rise 3 hours in mixer bowl at 80-90F. No oil on bowl.
> - flop dough on floured board, quickly fold into long shape and put in rice
> floured couche.
> - rise 30 minutes, turn loaf over onto parchment
> - rise 40 minutes, try to slash sprawling pancake then laugh
> - put on 500F stone middle shelf, add 3/4 cup boiling water in 700F iron
> skillet beneath stone.

That last part isn't necessary for me... I throw ice cubes directly onto
the floor of my 1927 completely cast-iron oven. Can't get it to "700F"
though.

> - bake 5 minutes, then 15 more at 425F

When your finished experimenting, please post amounts of what that you
used, unless I'm missing something. "the last ounce of water" to me
doesn't quite make a`hit for me.

Looked great, which is why I'm interested.

> PS - I am trying to repeat last week's loaf. Guarantee it will look nothing
> more than skinny wonder bread with a bad tan. Probably won't share those
> photos.

Heh.

B/