Marcella Tracy Peek

Default Slashing

While my bread is getting better, my slashing abilities are well below
par. I have tried all manner of knives - including very new, very sharp
ones. I have purchased a lame. Still, I have problems.

The blade seems to drag and stick and the resulting slash is very
shallow.

Any one with good tricks or slashing skills to share?

marcella
Kenneth

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:19:01 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> wrote:

>While my bread is getting better, my slashing abilities are well below
>par. I have tried all manner of knives - including very new, very sharp
>ones. I have purchased a lame. Still, I have problems.
>
>The blade seems to drag and stick and the resulting slash is very
>shallow.
>
>Any one with good tricks or slashing skills to share?
>
>marcella

Hi Marcella,

There are two keys:

Sharpness (far beyond that of a normally "sharp knife") I'd suggest a
single edge razor blade.

And speed. The slash must be very deliberate. Even the slightest
hesitation is likely to cause "sticking." Get ready. Position the
blade. Then, Zap! Do it in one rapid motion.

You mention that you have a "lame." Is it the old traditional sort or
the modern variety with a razor like blade inserted in a plastic
handle? The traditional lame is a very narrow (perhaps 1/8") strip of
steel with a sharpened end. If you have the former, you will have
better luck. If the latter, sharpening to the appropriate razor-like
level is tricky in itself.

Regarding depth of the coup (slash):

Doughs with higher hydration will have shallower slashes. Those with
lower hydration will have more "dramatic", deeper slashes.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Marcella Tracy Peek

In article >,
Kenneth > wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:19:01 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> > wrote:
>
> >While my bread is getting better, my slashing abilities are well below
> >par. I have tried all manner of knives - including very new, very sharp
> >ones. I have purchased a lame. Still, I have problems.
> >
> >The blade seems to drag and stick and the resulting slash is very
> >shallow.
> >
> >Any one with good tricks or slashing skills to share?
> >
> >marcella

> Hi Marcella,
>
> There are two keys:
>
> Sharpness (far beyond that of a normally "sharp knife") I'd suggest a
> single edge razor blade.
>
> And speed. The slash must be very deliberate. Even the slightest
> hesitation is likely to cause "sticking." Get ready. Position the
> blade. Then, Zap! Do it in one rapid motion.

That's likely part of my problem. I will try to pick up the pace.
Guess she who hesitates is stuck..then ripped, but not slashed.

> You mention that you have a "lame." Is it the old traditional sort or
> the modern variety with a razor like blade inserted in a plastic
> handle? The traditional lame is a very narrow (perhaps 1/8") strip of
> steel with a sharpened end. If you have the former, you will have
> better luck. If the latter, sharpening to the appropriate razor-like
> level is tricky in itself.

The modern kind - razor on a stick.

Thanks for the suggestions.

marcella
Janet Bostwick

"Marcella Tracy Peek" > wrote in message
> While my bread is getting better, my slashing abilities are well below
> par. I have tried all manner of knives - including very new, very sharp
> ones. I have purchased a lame. Still, I have problems.
>
> The blade seems to drag and stick and the resulting slash is very
> shallow.
>
> Any one with good tricks or slashing skills to share?
>
> marcella

Slashing cool dough is far easier than slashing warm dough. If you let your
loaves rise "in a warm place," it is more difficult to slash than if they
have just been out of the refrigerator for an hour. Overproofed/fully
proofed loaves are more difficult to slash than those that are just a smidge
less than fully proofed. And you could always cheat. . .decide where you
want to slash and sprinkle lightly with flour in that pattern. The blade
will travel through the floured area with more ease.
Janet

Reg

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

> While my bread is getting better, my slashing abilities are well below
> par. I have tried all manner of knives - including very new, very sharp
> ones. I have purchased a lame. Still, I have problems.
>
> The blade seems to drag and stick and the resulting slash is very
> shallow.
>
> Any one with good tricks or slashing skills to share?

Oiling the blade helps. I give mine a quick spray, especially if the
dough is on the warm side.

Kenneth

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:57:28 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
> wrote:

>The modern kind - razor on a stick.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions.
>
>marcella

Hi Marcella,

There are two "razor on a stick" versions that I know of. One has a
screw that allows the insertion of a double-edge razor blade. The
other type has a similar blade, but it cannot be replaced. The
replacement type works rather well because the blade can always be
super sharp.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

> While my bread is getting better, my slashing abilities are well below
> par. I have tried all manner of knives - including very new, very sharp
> ones. I have purchased a lame. Still, I have problems.
>
> The blade seems to drag and stick and the resulting slash is very
> shallow.
>
> Any one with good tricks or slashing skills to share?
>
> marcella

I have used an Xacto knife with success. I just dip it in oil so it does not
drag. The one I use looks like a very thin crescent with the sharp edge on the
outside. Sorry, I forget what number it is.

Buy a few, they eventually go dull.

Bert
Darrell Greenwood

In article >, Marcella
Tracy Peek > wrote:

> While my bread is getting better, my slashing abilities are well below
> par. I have tried all manner of knives - including very new, very sharp
> ones. I have purchased a lame. Still, I have problems.
>
> The blade seems to drag and stick and the resulting slash is very
> shallow.
>
> Any one with good tricks or slashing skills to share?

In addition to the single razor blades mentioned, I found a bread knife
with 1/4", or so, scallops, works. (I've got a another bread knife that
is more like a hacksaw, it doesn't work).

If it is a dull bread knife use a steel on it to bring the edge up to a
good sharpness. Again, slash quickly, confidently.

Cheers,

Darrell

--
To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet2 (at)
telus.net
Reg

Darrell Greenwood wrote:

> In addition to the single razor blades mentioned, I found a bread knife
> with 1/4", or so, scallops, works.

The one with the plastic blue handle? I got that one awhile back. Works
like a charm. It was sort of my 'training wheels' until I learned how
to use a lame.