Shastascrap

Default How to dispose of unused starter?

Been following Silverton's starter directions.Each day,I end up with
quite a bit of starter that needs to be discarded.I have been pouring
it down the drain with hot water.I have been envisioning this muddy
starter clinging to the drain pipe interiors and u-joints and
eventually causing a clog....has this happened to anyone?

Is just pouring it down the drain a safe way to get rid of all the
excess?
LIMEYNO1

Better off to use the toilet, that won't clog.
Or dry some.

"Shastascrap" > wrote in message
om...
> Been following Silverton's starter directions.Each day,I end up with
> quite a bit of starter that needs to be discarded.I have been pouring
> it down the drain with hot water.I have been envisioning this muddy
> starter clinging to the drain pipe interiors and u-joints and
> eventually causing a clog....has this happened to anyone?
>
> Is just pouring it down the drain a safe way to get rid of all the
> excess?

Kenneth

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:00:02 -0500, "LIMEYNO1"
> wrote:

>Better off to use the toilet, that won't clog.
>Or dry some.
>
>"Shastascrap" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Been following Silverton's starter directions.Each day,I end up with
>> quite a bit of starter that needs to be discarded.I have been pouring
>> it down the drain with hot water.I have been envisioning this muddy
>> starter clinging to the drain pipe interiors and u-joints and
>> eventually causing a clog....has this happened to anyone?
>>
>> Is just pouring it down the drain a safe way to get rid of all the
>> excess?

Howdy,

....or better yet, use reasonable quantities.

One of the problems with the Silverton approach is that she keeps
doubling the amounts. As a result, she soon has oceans of starter.
(Another problem is that she wants us to use grapes to make the
starter. There is good scientific evidence that the yeasts on the
grapes will not live long when fed flour and water. One is better off
eating the grapes...)

There are billions upon billions of the critters we seek in every
teaspoon of starter.

Work in those amounts until you have a starter that is to your liking.
Then, double it a few times to have enough for your bake. Hold back a
teaspoon or two of the active starter, and you will ready for the next
go round.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Brian Mailman

Shastascrap wrote:

> Is just pouring it down the drain a safe way to get rid of all the
> excess?

better to pour it down yourself, in the form pancakes, waffles, muffins,
crepes....

or even better than that, don't make so much that you have to throw it
away.

B/
Samartha Deva

Avoid this situation altogether.

If you need to multiply your starter just for maintenance, improving
it's vigor, growing more generations or any other reason than making
dough, reduce it before you multiply.

Example: Starter maintenance, culture size of 20 to 60 g is desired

60 g culture tripled would be 180 g, 120 g overflow when reduced to 60

reduce befo

60 g reduced to 20, then tripled gives 60 g culture with 40 g overflow

If you don't reduce and double or triple for maintenance (apparently
what NS does) you are in trouble.

Samartha

PS.: On minimum size, I would not go below 1 tablespoon volume for
practical reasons, where I live, it's mainly drying out.

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/

Bob

On 2 Dec 2003 16:32:59 GMT, Ignoramus29143
> wrote:

>I once poured it down the kitchen drain, with the water running
>from the tap and garbage disposal turned out. It worked. These days, I
>would just feed it to my chickens or dump it into my garden.

You can let some of the water evaporate off and make glue out of it.
Let it dry even more and make paste out of it.

If you want to know how stubborn that stuff can be, just forget to
rince off a spoon that has some on it. It's like chiselling thru
granite to clean it off.