Samartha Deva

Default Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help

Charles Perry wrote:
[ ... ]
> When it comes to Sourdough bread, you have to read a lot of books
> to glean a nugget of good information here and there. Generally
> speaking the books are riddled with misinformation and old wives
> tales. You would think that something that humans had been doing
> for thousands of years would be better understood.

Or, just another viewpoint - the sourdough process is so forgiving that
things work anyway, with little affect how much off from the most
optimal path one walks.

One can throw 5 lb. of flour at it, use 3 lb. of grapes, yoghourt,
sugar, potato water, baker's yeast and use uttermost sterility in
handling, just to name a few and sooner or later, the culture cleans
itself out if one stays somewhat in the possible living range for the
organisms. And if something really goes wrong, critters for reviving are
shipped with the flour.

I think a lot of this contradicting information comes from that.
Whatever is known to work is given as a recipe.

Baker's yeast gives instant activity and gratification - the real
organisms develop later. Most sourdough starter recipes I found when
browsing books function like that. No big surprise there that this
happens.

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/