Ol' Hippie

Default Startin' the starter

I only learned from my grandma and grandpa but flour/water set outside with
cheese cloth over it to keep out the bugs, is the way to go. However having
tried this in several parts of the country I believe the best starter will
come from the west coast & specifically within a few miles of the coast.

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
one pretty well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,

Bob

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 06:24:32 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
> wrote:

>I only learned from my grandma and grandpa but flour/water set outside with
>cheese cloth over it to keep out the bugs, is the way to go. However having
>tried this in several parts of the country I believe the best starter will
>come from the west coast & specifically within a few miles of the coast.

Try sterilizing your flour before you expose it.

Samartha Deva

Almost, you forgot to mention that this only works if you kneel in front
of it, aligned that you face San Francisco, slowly bow down three times
and chant "San Francisco". When you are done with the bowing, you have
to step away, moving backwards, always facing the sacred unit until you
are 10 feet away, then you can turn your back to it. You'll have to do
it three times per day until it works. That's the only way to get
authentic WC (West Coast) sourdough. To get the SF, rules are even more
strict, demanding and secret. Has anyone asked Ed Wood, how he did it? I
bet, he won't tell, he is probably too embarrassed.

And to keep the bugs out? Never heard of it. Bugs should go in, they
actually are what makes it work. All those little bugs being busy making
taste.

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/
Charles Perry

Samartha Deva wrote:

> To get the SF, rules are even more
> strict, demanding and secret. Has anyone asked Ed Wood, how he did it? I
> bet, he won't tell, he is probably too embarrassed.

You are right, he won't tell. He does say somewhere though, I
don't recall exactly where at the moment, that he tried for a
long time to get authentic SF culture without sucess. He says
that he finally got some assistance by some unnamed person(s).
He goes on to say that he can't say more for fear of revealing
"sources and methods," clearly implying that some form of mild
skulldugery was involved. I am tempted to call that either
poetic/dramatic license or BS. but I will restrain myself.

Regards,

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Bob

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:35:53 GMT, Charles Perry >
wrote:

>You are right, he won't tell. He does say somewhere though, I
>don't recall exactly where at the moment, that he tried for a
>long time to get authentic SF culture without success.

Then he broke down and bought some like the rest of us.

>He says
>that he finally got some assistance by some unnamed person(s).
>He goes on to say that he can't say more for fear of revealing
>"sources and methods," clearly implying that some form of mild
>skulldugery was involved.

Sounds just like California.

>I am tempted to call that either
>poetic/dramatic license or BS. but I will restrain myself.

I call it marketing BS, just like Lee Iococa's "Rich Corinthian
Leather" hype of decades past. Corinth doesn't even have a leather
industry - and Wood probably got his original starter from Mr. Baker.

Katra

Ol' Hippie wrote:

> Bet my Grandmas Sourdough is as good or better, started in Petaluma, went to
> Alaska, came home in fine shape
>
> Bruce

Ours was started this way in Kansas, then again in Colorado.
Moved to Texas, it's fine now that i've rejuvinated it after nearly 2
years of neglect..... :-P

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov