Default Cast iron loaf pans

Has anyone used cast iron loaf pans to bake sourdough? If so, what is your
experience with it?

I am looking at
https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=2808
Janet Bostwick

> wrote in message
> Has anyone used cast iron loaf pans to bake sourdough? If so, what is your
> experience with it?
>
> I am looking at
> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=2808

Well, I've always been confused by this item. Any other piece of cast iron
ware by Lodge is meant to be preheated before use. If you use it cold, it
would seem that it will take a long time for the heat to get through the
cast iron to begin baking the sides and bottom of the loaf. On the other
hand, I can't visualize dropping a fully risen loaf into a sizzling cast
iron bread pan either.
Janet

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > Has anyone used cast iron loaf pans to bake sourdough? If so, what is your
> > experience with it?
> >
> > I am looking at
> > https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=2808

> Well, I've always been confused by this item. Any other piece of cast iron
> ware by Lodge is meant to be preheated before use. If you use it cold, it
> would seem that it will take a long time for the heat to get through the
> cast iron to begin baking the sides and bottom of the loaf. On the other
> hand, I can't visualize dropping a fully risen loaf into a sizzling cast
> iron bread pan either.
> Janet

Perhaps it is intended to be used for meatloaf but I have the same concern for
this use that you have.

Maybe if you put a loaf that is already in a regular pan in it. It may work as
a baking stone then.

Bert
Janet Bostwick

> wrote in message
> Maybe if you put a loaf that is already in a regular pan in it. It may

work as
> a baking stone then.
>
> Bert

Maybe the intended 'bread' use is for a quick bread where you would pour the
batter into the already hot pan. I can see where that might benefit some of
the denser batters that are often difficult to bake through. (banana bread
etc.)

Janet

Cast Iron Pans sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 07-12-2014 04:32 PM
7 myths about cast iron pans ImStillMags General Cooking 147 14-11-2014 03:36 AM
Cast iron pans DreadfulBitch General Cooking 69 10-02-2014 07:13 AM
Help! I think I have ruined my cast iron pans rhijulbec Cooking Equipment 2 11-03-2007 04:04 AM
Cast Iron Pans? bulka General Cooking 4 15-10-2003 06:35 PM