Feuer

Default Can I use sourdough dough to bake pies?

Ignoramus13806 wrote:

> I need to bake some pies today (we have too much of vegetable stew
> that we need to use somehow, so I decided to use it to stuff pies). I
> can either buy canned dough at the grocery store or use my old trusty
> sourdough starter/process. I am not so sure if it can be easily
> adapted to make pies. Would forming, rolling and such interfere with
> leavening the dough?

You really take the pie.

You can easily get a real pie recipe. Sourdough can be used for making
pastry, but I doubt you could use it for anything like normal pie crust.

David
Rod & BJ

"Ignoramus13806"
.. I am not so sure if it can be easily
> adapted to make pies. Would forming, rolling and such interfere with
> leavening the dough?

You can use it as you would any yeasted dough with the obvious caveat that
you would wait longer for a rise.... My family is especially partial to my
calzones, wiener wraps and pizza. Soggy

HeatherInSwampscott

"Ignoramus13806" > wrote in message
>Would forming, rolling and such interfere with
> leavening the dough?

All the pie recipes I have seen and made never had a leavened pie crust; it
was flour, fat (lard, butter or shortening), dash salt and water.
see: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/pie/basi...01-recipe.html

Regards,

Heather

Samartha Deva

And?

Who says one cannot use a stiff sourdough for that?
It may save on the lard/butter/shortening and whatever that does to the
blubber layers and even taste more interesting.

Spinach/mushroom quiche with full grain rye crust sounds tempting right
now.

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/
HeatherInSwampscott

"Samartha Deva" > wrote in message

> Who says one cannot use a stiff sourdough for that?

I don't remember saying that. Forgive me for offending.

Heather

Samartha Deva

HeatherInSwampscott wrote:

> "Samartha Deva" > wrote in message
>
> > Who says one cannot use a stiff sourdough for that?

> I don't remember saying that. Forgive me for offending.
>
> Heather

Hey - I am not offended at all. True, you have not claimed it would be
not allowed/bad or something to that extend, just you have not seen such
a recipe, so my claim "who says" does not match exactly with your
statement in this interpretation and goes into nowhere. It would be my
goof!

There are several ways to interpret your statement, but let me rephrase
mine:

If you have not seen a recipe, you still can do it, try experimenting
and maybe have fun, if you want.

Or - if you have not seen a recipe, do you want to see one?

In this context, who's problem is the offending issue - the offender or
the offended?
It's just words - not even that, a couple of bits in computer memories
on this level.

Samartha