Mark Preston

Default U-organism propagation

I have slants from a culture collection. They are bread (and other)
fermenters. I am not a trained lab tech, so I don't know how to
propagate the bugs into enough culture to mix a 100 pounds of flour
for levain bread.

I am most concerned about propagating to prevent cross contamination
from other (beneficial) but unwanted bugs. And unwanted bugs, too.

To an innoculating loops' worth of germs, how much flour and water?

PS I WROTE ROY BASAN AT ANOTHER NG ABOUT THIS, BUT GOOGLE HAS DROPPED
HIS RESPONSE.

MOREOVER, GOOGLE HAS LOST SEVERAL REC.FOOD AND REC.CRAFTS NGs. DOES
ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?
Dick Adams

"Mark Preston" > wrote in message =
om...

> To an innoculating loops' worth of germs, how much flour and water?

If it were I, I would start with gram quantities of batter (boiled water =

and white wheat flour from a new pack). Make sure to flame the loop=20
before and after. Then you will have more tries from your slants. Be
sure to run a batter control. You should have some baked test tubes=20
(foil covered) or new screw-cap 2-dram vials to work in. Flame the=20
slant screw-threads before recovering. Do alcohol lamps still exist? =20
Well, a butane lighter would do.

---
DickA

Ed B.

Mark Preston wrote:

> I have slants from a culture collection. They are bread (and other)
> fermenters. I am not a trained lab tech, so I don't know how to
> propagate the bugs into enough culture to mix a 100 pounds of flour
> for levain bread.
>
> I am most concerned about propagating to prevent cross contamination
> from other (beneficial) but unwanted bugs. And unwanted bugs, too.
>
> To an innoculating loops' worth of germs, how much flour and water?
>
> PS I WROTE ROY BASAN AT ANOTHER NG ABOUT THIS, BUT GOOGLE HAS DROPPED
> HIS RESPONSE.
>
> MOREOVER, GOOGLE HAS LOST SEVERAL REC.FOOD AND REC.CRAFTS NGs. DOES
> ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?

I don't know about Roy's reply but I noticed another group missing from
google. When you access a group google shows an activity bar. The
other group I was trying to access has had no activity for a couple of
days. I theorize that with no activity the group doesn't show up on an
active list. If you type the name of the group in the search bar it
should come up.

I sent a message to the other group to test my theory.

--
~)< Love & Peace Ed B.

Hell, all I know about God
is what I trust humankind can become.
Yet, all I've seen of the devil
is what I know mankind to be....
-Steve Mason "Questions and Answers"
Ed B.

"Ed B." wrote:

> Mark Preston wrote:
> >
> > I have slants from a culture collection. They are bread (and other)
> > fermenters. I am not a trained lab tech, so I don't know how to
> > propagate the bugs into enough culture to mix a 100 pounds of flour
> > for levain bread.
> >
> > I am most concerned about propagating to prevent cross contamination
> > from other (beneficial) but unwanted bugs. And unwanted bugs, too.
> >
> > To an innoculating loops' worth of germs, how much flour and water?
> >
> > PS I WROTE ROY BASAN AT ANOTHER NG ABOUT THIS, BUT GOOGLE HAS DROPPED
> > HIS RESPONSE.
> >
> > MOREOVER, GOOGLE HAS LOST SEVERAL REC.FOOD AND REC.CRAFTS NGs. DOES
> > ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?

> I don't know about Roy's reply but I noticed another group missing from
> google. When you access a group google shows an activity bar. The
> other group I was trying to access has had no activity for a couple of
> days. I theorize that with no activity the group doesn't show up on an
> active list. If you type the name of the group in the search bar it
> should come up.

The theory seems to have been correct. After posting a message to the
other group the group showed up on google's list.

> I sent a message to the other group to test my theory.
>
> --
> ~)< Love & Peace Ed B.
>
> Hell, all I know about God
> is what I trust humankind can become.
> Yet, all I've seen of the devil
> is what I know mankind to be....
> -Steve Mason "Questions and Answers"

--
~)< Love & Peace Ed B.

Hell, all I know about God
is what I trust humankind can become.
Yet, all I've seen of the devil
is what I know mankind to be....
-Steve Mason "Questions and Answers"
Mark Preston

<snip>
> I don't know about Roy's reply but I noticed another group missing from
> google. When you access a group google shows an activity bar. The
> other group I was trying to access has had no activity for a couple of
> days. I theorize that with no activity the group doesn't show up on an
> active list. If you type the name of the group in the search bar it
> should come up.
>
> I sent a message to the other group to test my theory.

Maybe, Ed, but both rec.crafts.brewing and r.c.distilling have come
and gone over the last few days or a week.

I am starting to think that Google is consolidating or something.