Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Samartha's rye

Jeff Miller wrote:

> BTW, how long do you let your loaves rest before slicing? I know that with
> pumpernickel, it needs to rest at least 24 hours to firm up the crumb. Was
> that long of a rest necessary for these loaves?

There are a number of factors at play here... not all of them
controllable. But, most bakers suggest that any high rye content bread
be allowed to mature for a day or two before cutting.

In his class at Camp Bread, Jeffrey Hammelman wanted us to sign
affidavits promising not to cut into the 90% rye flour Detmolder process
rye bread for at least two days.

If you cut into them too soon you'll find the crumb hasn't set, you can
get gummy deposits on your knife, and the crumb has an unpleasant gummy
quality. Better to let it age. This can be related to not enough
acidity, as well as amalase levels in the flour.
Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
oxymoron: happy birthday

Samartha's Site Shadow[_3_] Sourdough 2 30-05-2016 12:47 AM
Samartha's rye Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 13-06-2007 12:40 AM
Samartha's rye Jeff Miller Sourdough 1 12-06-2007 10:38 PM
Ping Samartha - need rye help Dusty Bleher Sourdough 2 12-06-2006 04:30 AM
Samartha's Web Site Samartha Deva Sourdough 0 21-10-2003 05:02 AM