Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Browning

>"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
>news:mailman.2.1181510474.60952.rec.food.sourdoug ...
>
>> ... if you're looking to make bread that tastes and looks like the bread
>> you buy at a good bakery, it's easier to achieve that goal if you shoot
>> for the breads that have more "stuff" in them than the breads that use only
>> four ingredients.

>The bread that you buy at a good bakery, if it is labeled as sourdough,
>most likely has but four ingredients. That is how you would identify a good
>bakery.
>
>Take, for instance, Iggy's Francese: http://www.prettycolors.com/bread%5Fculture/

iggys.htm

Iggy's is one of the things I'll miss most when I move out West from Boston later this
summer. What a bakery. Their Francese is particularly good, though I'm more inclined to buy
a baguette (or a ficelle as they call it). We can never eat the Francese before it goes stale on
us.

I also like their raisin-pecan. What a bread ... here's Iggy's ingredients:
Unbleached and unbromated wheat flour, filtered water, natural sourdough starter (wheat
flour and filtered water), organic raisins, pecans, sucanat (evaporated cane juice), fresh yeast,
sea salt.

>OK. Homemade sourdough bread is hard to make look like the bread
>from the good bakery, and to have same quality of crust, unless you have
>the same oven the good bakery does, or are willing to go to a lot of
>trouble to make your baking loaves think they are in the same thermal
>environment as a bakery oven can provide. But it easily can taste as
>good, chew as good, and look as good without looking exactly like the
>bakery loaf, or having holes quite so big.

Well, I'd quibble with "easily" but I'm with you for all the rest. I think it takes some learnin' to
get to that point.

>> Do I get any points for confessing that, on the rare occasions when
>> I make white bread sourdough, I generally don't add anything but
>> flour, water, salt and starter?

>Be sure to tell that to your priest. Assuming you do business with priests.
>Perhaps you are one who could get into trouble for salt and leavening?

I was raised Southern Baptist. You'd be amazed what can get you in trouble if you're a
Southern Baptist.

I'm a Unitarian now, though. We don't confess nothin. You know the old joke about a
Unitarian funeral, right? A guy all dressed up with no place to go?

>> I liked your half page ...

>Funny, that. I am still working on it, and I do not think it has appeared
>in public. But Samartha's Wu Wei offering could, today, be edited quite
>easily down to one page:
>http://samartha.net/SD/images/BYDATE...-05/index.html

Let me revise to say I liked your full page. http://tinyurl.com/35jggn

I didn't check back to verify the length. Looking forward to seeing the briefer version when it
comes out, though. And Samartha's Wu Wei is fun, too.

Though I haven't the foggiest idea what Wu Wei means. To Google ....
--
Jeff
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message news:mailman.3.1181530099.60952.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...

> ... I also like [Iggy's] raisin-pecan. What a bread ... here's Iggy's
> ingredients: Unbleached and unbromated wheat flour, filtered water,
> natural sourdough starter (wheat flour and filtered water), organic
> raisins, pecans, sucanat (evaporated cane juice), fresh yeast,
> sea salt ...

No doubt delightful bread, but not seeming to be sourdough.

> ... I was raised Southern Baptist. ... I'm a Unitarian now, though ....

If you can work your way up to a Nuthin', you'll be less likely to be taken
to war by some idiot who knows what God wants. Possibly you will be
less credulous about inspired recipes, and therefore make better bread,
and do other things more rationally, as well.

> ... Let me revise to say I liked your full page. http://tinyurl.com/35jggn

Why be so roundabout? Here it is in its naked (MSWord97) glory:
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/di...ions%5FRev.doc
(10 min. kneading is probably too long -- I should fix that.)
This one should not be overlooked:
http://lumpymuffins.home.comcast.net...h/NoWaste.html

> Samartha's Wu Wei is fun, too. Though I haven't the foggiest idea what
> Wu Wei means.

Gurus need to seem mysterious.

--
Dicky
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11 Jun, 14:26, "Dick Adams" wrote:

> Gurus need to seem mysterious.
>
> --
> Dicky

Only Bad ones Dicky. : -)

Jim

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
news:mailman.3.1181530099.60952.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...

> Samartha's Wu Wei is fun, too. Though I haven't the foggiest idea what
> Wu Wei means.

If you can read (apparently so) in English (apparently so) and are not
color-blind (hopefully) and know about Internet web pages (apparently
so) and know about links on a web page (possibly) that they are in blue
(if you are not color blind) or underlined and know how to operate a
mouse (maybe) or the tab key (perhaps) to access links (if you know the
meaning in this context) and how to operate links by clicking (fingers
are hopefully still functional as well as nervous paths from cerebrum,
cerebellum, brain stem, brachial plexus - C5-T1) or tabbing (also using
fingers - see above) through a web page, recognizing (save me to write
this down) the word string "Wu Wei", realizing that it's blue or
underlined and "could" be a link - taking the risk to follow it, allow
opening another window in your browser setting and - tadaa....!

IOW - click the ****ing Wu Wei link on that damn page!

If you can grok it (questionable) and implement it (could take several
life times) is another question.

Samartha

Browning Trix[_2_] Sourdough 53 16-06-2007 04:44 PM
Browning Jeff Miller Sourdough 17 12-06-2007 11:35 PM
Browning Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 10-06-2007 10:21 PM
Browning Jeff Miller Sourdough 1 10-06-2007 12:58 AM
Browning Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 08-06-2007 06:35 PM