Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default San Francisco sourdough starter and Carl's starter

Hello

A friend on another ng recommended I post here with my query about
sourdough starter and Carl's starter. Three or four years ago, a poster
from uk.food+drink.misc sent me some San Francisco starter and also
mentioned 'Carl's starter'. Gradually, the starter changed and became
'London starter'. Can anyone please tell me where I can obtain San
Francisco starter? Many thanks in advance.
--
June Hughes
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 28 Mar, 11:35, June Hughes > wrote:
> Hello
>
> ...Gradually, the starter changed and became
> 'London starter'. Can anyone please tell me where I can obtain San
> Francisco starter? Many thanks in advance.
> --
> June Hughes

HI June,

thtat's a shame I've found mine to stay true. I have some backed up if
you'd like some of it. I could pop some in the post for you or you
could pick it up from me somewhere. I work in Marylebone if that would
be convenient. Wrtie to me off list.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"June Hughes" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> A friend on another ng recommended I post here with my query about
> sourdough starter and Carl's starter. Three or four years ago, a poster
> from uk.food+drink.misc sent me some San Francisco starter and also
> mentioned 'Carl's starter'. Gradually, the starter changed and became
> 'London starter'. Can anyone please tell me where I can obtain San
> Francisco starter? Many thanks in advance.
> --
> June Hughes

Hello June!

What's the problem with using your London starter?

I made my starter to an American recipe after sarah sent me some which
eventually died. I'm sure mine is now a Yorkshire one - but it works
perfectly well.

The directions I used explained that starters are affected by you and your
local conditions. Now I know that some here don't agree with that but it
makes sense to me :-)

Mary

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 28 Mar, 12:21, "Mary Fisher" > wrote:
> The directions I used explained that starters are affected by you and your
> local conditions. Now I know that some here don't agree with that but it
> makes sense to me :-)
>
> Mary

lol, Mary you're so mischievous. I love it. lol.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

In message > , Mary Fisher
> writes
>
>"June Hughes" > wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> A friend on another ng recommended I post here with my query about
>> sourdough starter and Carl's starter. Three or four years ago, a poster
>> from uk.food+drink.misc sent me some San Francisco starter and also
>> mentioned 'Carl's starter'. Gradually, the starter changed and became
>> 'London starter'. Can anyone please tell me where I can obtain San
>> Francisco starter? Many thanks in advance.
>> --
>> June Hughes

>Hello June!
>
>What's the problem with using your London starter?

Hi Mary. I didn't know you posted here. My starter used to make nice
bread with a good crust and lots of holes in it. The bread now comes
out a bit heavier and is chewier. Still OK but not as much to my liking
as it was.

--
June Hughes

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

In message . com>, TG
> writes
>On 28 Mar, 11:35, June Hughes > wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> ...Gradually, the starter changed and became
>> 'London starter'. Can anyone please tell me where I can obtain San
>> Francisco starter? Many thanks in advance.
>> --
>> June Hughes

>HI June,
>
>thtat's a shame I've found mine to stay true. I have some backed up if
>you'd like some of it. I could pop some in the post for you or you
>could pick it up from me somewhere. I work in Marylebone if that would
>be convenient. Wrtie to me off list.

Thanks a lot Jim. I have emailed you.

--
June Hughes
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

June Hughes wrote:

> Hello
>
> A friend on another ng recommended I post here with my query about
> sourdough starter and Carl's starter. Three or four years ago, a poster
> from uk.food+drink.misc sent me some San Francisco starter and also
> mentioned 'Carl's starter'. Gradually, the starter changed and became
> 'London starter'. Can anyone please tell me where I can obtain San
> Francisco starter? Many thanks in advance.

You can write me directly, substitute .com for .invalid and I'll send a
template with directions on where to send a SASE. I'm in the geographic
center of SF. I send doughballs around frequently; and the ones that
have gone to the UK have made it intact.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

In message . com>, TG
> writes
>On 28 Mar, 11:35, June Hughes > wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> ...Gradually, the starter changed and became
>> 'London starter'. Can anyone please tell me where I can obtain San
>> Francisco starter? Many thanks in advance.
>> --
>> June Hughes

>HI June,
>
>thtat's a shame I've found mine to stay true. I have some backed up if
>you'd like some of it. I could pop some in the post for you or you
>could pick it up from me somewhere. I work in Marylebone if that would
>be convenient. Wrtie to me off list.

I have emailed you to say thank-you so very much. I am delighted.
Shall let you know how it goes when I try it at the weekend.
--
June Hughes