Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Baker's Percentages (WAS sweetening the sourdough starter)

I pretty knew at this sourdough "game".

Reference the recipe from PastorDIC below:

This seems to be a very small amount of starter compared to what I have read
in several books and other sources. I seem to recall seeing some other
postings for both similar small and greater amounts.

I am curious, Can we get a poll on the amount of starter people are using
for approximately 1 kg of final dough.

Sponge _____ ?

Liquid ______ ?

I see recipes calling for from 1/2 cup (125 ml.) "sponge" starter to 2 cups
(~490 ml.) liquid or "wet" starter. My "liquid" starter weighs in at about
250 gms. per 1 cup (250 ml.). I typically use a half cup = 120 gms.

Thanks, Jim H

In a message dated 1/17/2007 2:15:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

Now you've got your scales try this recipe

> > > starter 15g 3%
> > > flour 540g 100%
> > > water 350g 65%
> > > salt 10g 2%
> > > total 905g

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

To avoid confusion and avoid questions I can't answer, I thought I
would clear that up this wasn't my recipe and I have never even made
the recipe.

You should have read the line immediately preceding the one you quoted.

On Jan 17, 6:39 pm, wrote:
> I pretty knew at this sourdough "game".
>
> Reference the recipe from PastorDIC below:
>
> This seems to be a very small amount of starter compared to what I have read
> in several books and other sources. I seem to recall seeing some other
> postings for both similar small and greater amounts.
>
> I am curious, Can we get a poll on the amount of starter people are using
> for approximately 1 kg of final dough.
>
> Sponge _____ ?
>
> Liquid ______ ?
>
> I see recipes calling for from 1/2 cup (125 ml.) "sponge" starter to 2 cups
> (~490 ml.) liquid or "wet" starter. My "liquid" starter weighs in at about
> 250 gms. per 1 cup (250 ml.). I typically use a half cup = 120 gms.
>
> Thanks, Jim H
>
> In a message dated 1/17/2007 2:15:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
>
> writes:Now you've got your scales try this recipe>

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

writes:

> Now you've got your scales try this recipe

Hi Jim,

This is confusing. lol. Jim here. That was my formula. I could have
given that same 'recipe' for almost the same bread like this

95%
100%
48%
2%

It's the same hydration loaf the difference is the length of time for
fermentation one is for 24 hours at 18C for my starter and the other is
for 6 hours at 21C for my starter.

You could have 100 people all giving different amounts for pretty much
the same dough. That's why it's so confusing and also why a little
bakers maths helps a lot.

Jim