Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Freeze or Dry?

OK i have a very healthy and good tasting starter. Which is the prefered
what to preserve your starter: freeze or dry? When you freeze your starter
do you really need to replace it every 6 months? I would think you could
freeze it for as long as you wanted to because the yeast would be inactive
and would not age. Which method retains the true nature of your starter the
best? Does dry starter need to be replished? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Brent

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

If it's a self grown starter or a starter with unknown origin, you'd
have to try and see what comes out after revival.

With known starters which have been frozen or dried, your chances are
much better.

There is no "guarantee" as such. Carls starter web site has a
procedure or the FAQ's - dunno which.

Samartha

On 12/27/06, Brent > wrote:
> OK i have a very healthy and good tasting starter. Which is the prefered
> what to preserve your starter: freeze or dry? When you freeze your starter
> do you really need to replace it every 6 months? I would think you could
> freeze it for as long as you wanted to because the yeast would be inactive
> and would not age. Which method retains the true nature of your starter the
> best? Does dry starter need to be replished? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> Brent

http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

This is a starter i started myself. I did not use an existing starter. I
just started it with rye flour and water. It has turned out to be an
excellent starter and because of this i want to save it. Thats why im asking
for help.

Brent
"Samartha Deva" > wrote in message
news:mailman.71.1167238441.1438.rec.food.sourdough @www.mountainbitwarrior.com...
> If it's a self grown starter or a starter with unknown origin, you'd
> have to try and see what comes out after revival.
>
> With known starters which have been frozen or dried, your chances are
> much better.
>
> There is no "guarantee" as such. Carls starter web site has a
> procedure or the FAQ's - dunno which.
>
> Samartha
>

> On 12/27/06, Brent > wrote:
>> OK i have a very healthy and good tasting starter. Which is the prefered
>> what to preserve your starter: freeze or dry? When you freeze your
>> starter
>> do you really need to replace it every 6 months? I would think you could
>> freeze it for as long as you wanted to because the yeast would be
>> inactive
>> and would not age. Which method retains the true nature of your starter
>> the
>> best? Does dry starter need to be replished? Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Brent

http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Brent wrote:
> This is a starter i started myself. I did not use an existing starter. I
> just started it with rye flour and water. It has turned out to be an
> excellent starter and because of this i want to save it. Thats why im asking
> for help.

In my experience, rye+water or wheat+water have ALWAYS made excellent
starters. The good news is that the experiment is endlessly repeatable.
This means your next effort may be even better.

I was happy with a King Arthur starter about a dozen years ago. Happy
with a home made rye starter, More happiness followed a red wheat
starter, extreme happiness with a white wheat starter, profound
happiness with an Acme starter from Kenneth... point being, you will
always be happy with the journey.

My advice... make the firmest little doughball you can from your
current starter. Store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for many
months. Then prove this out, make a fresh starter. See if your second
effort satisfies <g>.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Ahh so instead of making a pancake consistensy make a firm pizza dough like
structure and you will only have to feed it once ever couple months rather
than having to feed it once every week.

thanks,
Brent

"Will" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Brent wrote:
>> This is a starter i started myself. I did not use an existing starter. I
>> just started it with rye flour and water. It has turned out to be an
>> excellent starter and because of this i want to save it. Thats why im
>> asking
>> for help.

> In my experience, rye+water or wheat+water have ALWAYS made excellent
> starters. The good news is that the experiment is endlessly repeatable.
> This means your next effort may be even better.
>
> I was happy with a King Arthur starter about a dozen years ago. Happy
> with a home made rye starter, More happiness followed a red wheat
> starter, extreme happiness with a white wheat starter, profound
> happiness with an Acme starter from Kenneth... point being, you will
> always be happy with the journey.
>
> My advice... make the firmest little doughball you can from your
> current starter. Store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for many
> months. Then prove this out, make a fresh starter. See if your second
> effort satisfies <g>.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Brent wrote:
> Ahh so instead of making a pancake consistensy make a firm pizza dough like
> structure and you will only have to feed it once ever couple months rather
> than having to feed it once every week.

You got it. Make the starter-impregnated dough ball as firm as you can.
Put it in a clean container and refrigerate. It will keep a long time.
In fact. after you make the dough ball, roll it in flour to ensure the
exterior gets dry (keeps mold from forming).

And like I said up-thread... after you do the above, make a new
starter... prove to yourself that starters are replaceable. Because the
real deal is not the starter, it's how you ripen the dough.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Will wrote:
> Brent wrote:
> > ... week.

> You got it. . Because the
> real deal is not the starter, it's how you ripen the dough.

Hi Will,
Yup, I get anything from mild to very sour using the same starter
depending on what I do with it. Most new bakers tend to follow the same
regime so think there starter is 'stable', then they learn a bit more
and change things then think there starter has changed.

I have to add though that my starter was so much better after drying
that I chucked the original. It lost the one thing that I wasn't sure
about. I only ever tried freezing once and the starter seemed to be
dead but I didn't give it a great deal of time before chucking. Now I
only use the one starter all the problems of storing have gone too. :
-)

Jim