Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Some real life numbers, and a question....

Dick Adams wrote:

> I see it now. OE needs the complete mess made by previous
> requoting before it piles another > before each previous >.
> I am culpable because I edit my replies to make them neat
> and more readable.

I've heard of an add-on called "Quote Fix" that may remedy that.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> I see it now. OE needs the complete mess made by previous
> requoting before it piles another > before each previous >.
> I am culpable because I edit my replies to make them neat
> and more readable. But I shan't be apologetic because God
> loves neat people.
>
> --
> Dicky

But are they not helpful for identifying age of the citations?
Brian
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Do people in this group add bread ingredients by volume or weight,and why?

Mike Avery wrote:
> PastorDIC wrote:
>> Mike-
>> What features would you recommend a scale for home baking have?
>> Russ
>>

> I'd look for the ability to measure grams, ounces, and pounds. That
> will make it easy to use any weight based recipe you might encounter,
> and will let you ue it as a postal scale.
>
> I'd look for about an 11 to 14 pound capacity. That will let you make
> larger batches.
>
> I'd look for a tare function so you can measure all your ingredients
> into a single bowl.
>
> Some people like to use an AC adapter. I find batteries last a long
> time and staying on batteries frees me from the cord.
>
> I've been very happy with my My Weigh KD-700 candle makers scale,
> however that model has been discontinued. I think the current version
> is the KD-7000.
>
> Mike

I got a My Weigh KD-7000 Professional several months ago. It may not be
as sleek looking as some other well-known brands, but it has all the
features one needs/wants in a baking scale. Plus it uses AA batteries -
a big plus when the batteries finally die and need replacing.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

WOW!!!

"Dusty da baker" > wrote in message
> [...]

> whom I make my recipes. I don't run in your "professional bakers"
> circles. I do however, get to visit many, many more ordinary folks that
> bake as well. In none of their kitchens did I find any scales (unless I
> brought 'em).

> than that. When teaching students, the feel of the dough is a primary
> thing to get across.
> [That's certainly true. But how you get to that is irrelevant. Volume
> measurements have errors, weight measurements have errors. Yet, somehow,
> miraculously, the bread still comes out as bread.]

>> If people want to use cups, cool. But I don't think it is reasonable to
>> say that they are as accurate, or even close to as accurate, as scales.

> [I DIDN'T SAY that I wanted people to use cups. I said use what you're
> comfortable with. I'm comfortable with cups. You apparently are not. I
> don't really care. Use what you want. But I WILL NOT sit by and allow
> someone to assert that only weight can be used for baking, when that's not
> so. I said BOTH work! You, OTOH; seem to think that only weight can be
> used. Then you would be wrong, Wrong, WRONG!]
>
>>> Most "home bakers" don't come ready equipped with a scale...but they do
>>> have cups and the like. So I bake and write with them in mind. You are
>>> of course welcome to use whatever floats your boat. The goal here is,
>>> after all, to bake good bread. If you have the need to dazzle the wife,
>>> kids, and neighbors with your newly found talent and acumen by flashing
>>> lots of new high-tech goodies, that's your business...and nobody
>>> else's...

>> It depends on where you look. Cups are largely an American thing. Most
>> Europeans use scales.

> [Didn't say they weren't...only you have asserted that. Most of my
> friends and family live in the USofA now. And they are to whom I write
> and post my recipes...no matter how your elitist sensibilities are
> offended.]
>
>> It doesn't seem reasonable to think that scales are a high-tech goodie.
>> They've been in use for thousands of years. At $15 to 20, they aren't
>> expensive, and they are a very long term investment. My Weigh offers a
>> lifetime warranty to the original owner. I use mine to weigh packages
>> for mailing and many other things as well as baking.

> [I didn't say they were, did I? I said they weren't necessary! Darn it
> all! They're not!]
>
>> I don't know what your hostility to scales is, but it has no rational
>> basis.

> I don't know what your hostility to volume is, but it has no rational
> basis.
>
> BOTH systems have built-in errors. BOTH systems have advantages in some
> usages. And BOTH systems deserve an equal footing in a recipe. *You* can
> do yours by weight, *I'll* do mine by volume! *I* do mine for myself, my
> friends, and my family, *you* can do yours to impress your baking friends
> and other hangers-on. I really don't give a crap either way...

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 20 Dec 2006 16:23:26 -0800, "Will" >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> If you can't get it right, stop referring to it.

>Hey Boron, I'm here. I remember that thread. After it you disapppeared
>to alt.bread.recipes...
>
>Let's party.
>
>Will

I read this group daily. There are posters whom I enjoy reading all
the time and others who can disappear in a cloud of rice flour without
my notice..

It's winter and I spend my free time baking.

Right now I am breeding one of the sweet "sourdough," Amish friendship
concoctions that take 10 days to prepare. It was a gift, so I promised
I'd play with it. I will depart from its recipe only at the end, when
I think it'll wind up as pecan sticky buns.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:

> Right now I am breeding one of the sweet "sourdough," Amish friendship
> concoctions that take 10 days to prepare.

Interesting. Never done that. I did make some raison Kugelhopfs last
week. My winter experiment though is using seeds to release higher
hydration breads in the lined baskets. I got tired of teasing the
doughs out. Much as I like rice flour for that chore, it's becoming
apparent that coating sections of the dough surface with something:
sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, etc... works a bit better.

(and no... I haven't weighed them) At least not yet <g>.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

> Right now I am breeding one of the sweet "sourdough,"
> Amish friendship concoctions that take 10 days to prepare.
> It was a gift, so I promised I'd play with it. I will
> depart from its recipe only at the end, when I think
> it'll wind up as pecan sticky buns.

WOW!

> There are posters whom I enjoy reading all the time and
> others who can disappear in a cloud of rice flour without
> my notice..

(Poof)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 28 Dec 2006 06:32:42 -0800, "Will" >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> Right now I am breeding one of the sweet "sourdough," Amish friendship
>> concoctions that take 10 days to prepare.

>Interesting. Never done that. I did make some raison Kugelhopfs last
>week. My winter experiment though is using seeds to release higher
>hydration breads in the lined baskets. I got tired of teasing the
>doughs out. Much as I like rice flour for that chore, it's becoming
>apparent that coating sections of the dough surface with something:
>sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, etc... works a bit better.
>
>(and no... I haven't weighed them) At least not yet <g>.

I use unlined bannetons and regular flour. The spaces in between the
reeds are packed tight with flour, I then toss in more flour, and
cover the dough with flour, too. BUT I do not use my bannetons for
superhydration breads such the NYT recipe or a coccodrillo. I keep
them free form or hand shaped.

The seeds make sense...the same way that using cornmeal on a peel
helps the dough slide off, so the seeds (but I'd think you'd need a
LOT of seeds) should provide a coating that will help separate. And
the seeds do not absorb the moisture as the rice flour or regular
flour can do.

I am a parchment fan when I use free form loaves and even when I upend
the dough out of the unlined bannetons.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

To all you who have suggested I try weighing dry ingredients, I now
have a scale.

Unfortunately, my wife says the starter is too sour (see the thread
"sweetening the sourdough starter" for that conversation).

Now once my *new* starter arrives, it will be interesting to compare
how both recipes work out. Maybe I will have to try the two side by
side if I'm that energetic.
Russ