Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Is my starter dead?

ojuice wrote ..
> Oh sorry, I meant that I'm only keeping back one cup of starter, and
> then adding 1 cup of flour and one cup of water to it.

That is really too infrequent, and too little.

At 1 cup of water to 1 up of flour, your starter isn't getting enough food. It is a very liquid starter, probably around 130 to 150% hydration.

I suggest feeding no less than twice a day, three times a day if you have an abused starter that needs to be revived. I also suggest feeding enough to double the volume of the starter (tripling it if you have an abused starter you are trying to revive). I feed a ratio of 1 part water to 1 part flour BY WEIGHT or 1 part water to 1 1/2 parts flour by volume. This results in a thicker starter that is more manageable. A thinner starter tends to work faster, so it is going through it's food too quickly.

As long as your starter has not developed a strong acetone (fingernail polish remover) smell, it can be revived.

Good luck,
Mike

Walking Dead dead spread? sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 10-02-2014 01:13 AM
Dead sourdough starter? Ray[_7_] Baking 0 09-09-2012 10:31 PM
Is my starter dead? ojuice Sourdough 5 06-10-2006 04:28 AM
Dead Starter Kevin J. Cheek Sourdough 24 01-01-2005 03:01 AM
Help with dead liquid starter needed! Kenneth Sourdough 16 02-11-2003 02:21 AM