Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Paris and Provence

We are traveling to Provence then to Paris this month, are there any
particularly recommended bakeries to visit in either region? In
Provence we'll be near Avignon, visiting the Luberon, Cotes du Rhone,
Aix, etc. And in Paris we'll be in the VII Arrondisement.

As always, kindly ignore spelling errors in English and French.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

--keven. wrote:
> We are traveling to Provence then to Paris this month, are there any
> particularly recommended bakeries to visit in either region? In
> Provence we'll be near Avignon, visiting the Luberon, Cotes du Rhone,
> Aix, etc. And in Paris we'll be in the VII Arrondisement.
>
> As always, kindly ignore spelling errors in English and French.

Hi Keven,

Give PAUL a miss, their sourdough and pain de campagne are awful and
over priced.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

--keven. wrote:

> We are traveling to Provence then to Paris this month, are there any
> particularly recommended bakeries to visit in either region? In
> Provence we'll be near Avignon, visiting the Luberon, Cotes du Rhone,
> Aix, etc. And in Paris we'll be in the VII Arrondisement.

I'm just back a couple weeks ago from both regions; although "Provence"
is large place and I was waaay out in the country, 2km from the nearest
gathering of houses w/bakery and 40km (25 miles or so) SW from
Perigeaux. The local bakery was pretty good, and seemed to have the
bake time stamped on the wrappers of the loaves or croissant/brioche.

Seemed like anyone we saw on foot, on bicycle, or en Renault had a few
baguettes with them, no matter what the time of day.

In Paris, I never did get the system of the Arrondisement down (all I
know is I was in the IVth), but if you're on the Left Bank, near Notre
Dame, look for "Poilane" or "Poilne" on the bistrot windows or on the
"plat" boards. They all use it in their croques (under, I guess, would
be a better description). Wonderful stuff, indeed.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
--keven. wrote:

> We are traveling to Provence then to Paris this month, are there any
> particularly recommended bakeries to visit in either region? In
> Provence we'll be near Avignon, visiting the Luberon, Cotes du Rhone,
> Aix, etc. And in Paris we'll be in the VII Arrondisement.

I'm just back a couple weeks ago from both regions; although "Provence"
is large place and I was waaay out in the country, 2km from the nearest
gathering of houses w/bakery and 40km (25 miles or so) SW from
Perigeaux. The local bakery was pretty good, and seemed to have the
bake time stamped on the wrappers of the loaves or croissant/brioche.

Seemed like anyone we saw on foot, on bicycle, or en Renault had a few
baguettes with them, no matter what the time of day.

In Paris, I never did get the system of the Arrondisement down (all I
know is I was in the IVth), but if you're on the Left Bank, near Notre
Dame, look for "Poilane" or "Poilne" on the bistrot windows or on the
"plat" boards. They all use it in their croques (under, I guess, would
be a better description). Wonderful stuff, indeed.

B/
The original Poilne bakery (IIRC and I often do) is at the northern end of
Rue du Cherche Midi, not far from St. Sulpice. The road runs ~NE/SW between
and sub-parallel to the Rue de Sèvres and the Rue de Rennes. All 3 meet the
BLVD du Montparnasse at their southern ends.
The sandwich menus in some bars show 2 prices: one for pain ordinaire and
one for Pain Poilne.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

graham wrote:

> The original Poilne bakery (IIRC and I often do) is at the northern end of
> Rue du Cherche Midi, not far from St. Sulpice. The road runs ~NE/SW between
> and sub-parallel to the Rue de Sèvres and the Rue de Rennes. All 3 meet the
> BLVD du Montparnasse at their southern ends.

That actually sounds like I was near it. I remember seeing signs for St.
Sulpice.

> The sandwich menus in some bars show 2 prices: one for pain ordinaire and
> one for Pain Poilne.

I didn't see that, but it would be worth it. Oh, and by the size of the
slice under the croques toppings (about 10", on every one that I had),
it must have been a 4- or 5-pound loaf.

B/

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

graham wrote:
> __________________________________________________ ___
> The original Poilne bakery (IIRC and I often do) is at the northern end of
> Rue du Cherche Midi, not far from St. Sulpice. The road runs ~NE/SW between
> and sub-parallel to the Rue de Sèvres and the Rue de Rennes. All 3 meet the
> BLVD du Montparnasse at their southern ends.
> The sandwich menus in some bars show 2 prices: one for pain ordinaire and
> one for Pain Poilne.
> Graham

Does the bakery of Linel Polaine serve croques?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"--keven." > wrote in message
ups.com...

graham wrote:
> __________________________________________________ ___
> The original Poilne bakery (IIRC and I often do) is at the northern end
> of
> Rue du Cherche Midi, not far from St. Sulpice. The road runs ~NE/SW
> between
> and sub-parallel to the Rue de Sèvres and the Rue de Rennes. All 3 meet
> the
> BLVD du Montparnasse at their southern ends.
> The sandwich menus in some bars show 2 prices: one for pain ordinaire and
> one for Pain Poilne.
> Graham

Does the bakery of Linel Polaine serve croques?

I dunno but I doubt it! It was closed when I found it.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

graham wrote:

> The original Poilne bakery (IIRC and I often do) is at the northern end
> of Rue du Cherche Midi, not far from St. Sulpice. The road runs ~NE/SW
> between and sub-parallel to the Rue de Sèvres and the Rue de Rennes. All
> 3 meet the BLVD du Montparnasse at their southern ends.

That actually sounds like I was near it. I remember seeing signs for St.
Sulpice.

> The sandwich menus in some bars show 2 prices: one for pain ordinaire and
> one for Pain Poilne.

I didn't see that, but it would be worth it. Oh, and by the size of the
slice under the croques toppings (about 10", on every one that I had),
it must have been a 4- or 5-pound loaf.

The Poilne miche weighs about 2kg. If you visit London, they have a bakery
in the Belgravia district - the first wood-fired bakery to open in London
since the Great Fire (1666).
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 6 Oct 2006 12:01:45 -0700, "--keven." > wrote:

>graham wrote:
>> __________________________________________________ ___
>> The original Poilne bakery (IIRC and I often do) is at the northern end of
>> Rue du Cherche Midi, not far from St. Sulpice. The road runs ~NE/SW between
>> and sub-parallel to the Rue de Sèvres and the Rue de Rennes. All 3 meet the
>> BLVD du Montparnasse at their southern ends.
>> The sandwich menus in some bars show 2 prices: one for pain ordinaire and
>> one for Pain Poilne.
>> Graham

>Does the bakery of Linel Polaine serve croques?

Only since he croqued.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:

> >Does the bakery of Linel Polaine serve croques?

> Only since he croqued.
>
> Boron

Bwa ha ha!

TN: Provence, and a lot more DaleW Wine 0 07-06-2013 03:08 AM
TN: Loire, Saar, and Provence DaleW Wine 0 17-05-2013 09:26 PM
Cheap Airfares to Paris | Discount Flights to Paris | Compare ParisFlights Sify Tripz Tripz Restaurants 0 26-04-2010 02:55 PM
TN: Rhone and Provence DaleW Wine 3 19-05-2008 10:00 PM
Herbes de Provence International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 05-11-2006 03:54 AM