Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Default Walkouts

Recently, talking with a friend who works in a restaurant, I was surprised
to hear that occasionally a customer or group of customers will walk out
without paying if they are extremely unhappy with their dining experience
(he said he's only seen this happen twice, but still). I couldn't believe
that this happens! I can kind of relate this to when I used to work at a gas
station (for all of three days) and quit because of people who drove off
without paying for gas, and the clerk on duty had to make up the difference.
Does anything like this exist in the restaurant situation?

--
Matt Barry
Visit my pages at:

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Matt Barry wrote:
> I used to work at a gas
> station (for all of three days) and quit because of people who drove off
> without paying for gas, and the clerk on duty had to make up the difference.

I'm pretty sure this is illegal for the employer to do.

I read an "action line" column in a newspaper where a reader wrote that
his employer would make the employees pay out of their own pocket if
they accepted any counterfeit bills. The columnist wrote that this was
illegal, and he should bring this up with the employer. If that didn't
resolve it, then he should take legal action against the employer.

This seems like a similar principal. The employer can fire you for it,
but they can't legally make you pay out of your pocket.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Matt Barry wrote:
> Recently, talking with a friend who works in a restaurant, I was surprised
> to hear that occasionally a customer or group of customers will walk out
> without paying if they are extremely unhappy with their dining experience
> (he said he's only seen this happen twice, but still). I couldn't believe
> that this happens! I can kind of relate this to when I used to work at a gas
> station (for all of three days) and quit because of people who drove off
> without paying for gas, and the clerk on duty had to make up the difference.
> Does anything like this exist in the restaurant situation?

In a lot of places it is SOP. May or may not be legal, but it is SOP.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Golden California Girls > writes:

> Matt Barry wrote:
>> Recently, talking with a friend who works in a restaurant, I was
>> surprised to hear that occasionally a customer or group of customers
>> will walk out without paying if they are extremely unhappy with
>> their dining experience (he said he's only seen this happen twice,
>> but still). I couldn't believe that this happens! I can kind of
>> relate this to when I used to work at a gas station (for all of
>> three days) and quit because of people who drove off without paying
>> for gas, and the clerk on duty had to make up the difference. Does
>> anything like this exist in the restaurant situation?

> In a lot of places it is SOP. May or may not be legal, but it is SOP.

This is an example of employers illegally abusing their employees.
Sometimes employees feel that this is unfair, but don't report it the
authorities because they don't realize it's very much against the law.
Or they don't report it because they know it will almost surely result
in their being fired from the job. The authorities will take a very
dim view of this kind of behaviour from employers, likely resulting
in tremendous fines. But the employee can't afford to lose their job
and get involved in the government's investigation -- they need to
just be working and trying to get by. That's why it is SOP.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Matt Barry wrote:
> Recently, talking with a friend who works in a restaurant, I was surprised
> to hear that occasionally a customer or group of customers will walk out
> without paying if they are extremely unhappy with their dining experience
> (he said he's only seen this happen twice, but still). I couldn't believe
> that this happens! I can kind of relate this to when I used to work at a gas
> station (for all of three days) and quit because of people who drove off
> without paying for gas, and the clerk on duty had to make up the difference.
> Does anything like this exist in the restaurant situation?
>
> --
> Matt Barry
> Visit my pages at:
> http://mbarry84.tripod.com
> http://filmreel.blogspot.com

Back on the original subject -- I walked out of a restaurant without
paying once. the whole service was bad. then after requesting my
check twice I waited 20 minutes. Then I walekd to the hostess station
and requested my check. She left and didn't return in ten minutes.
So I left. I gave them more than adequate chance to receive my money.

Now, some other places, they will present the check, and not return,
hoping you will leave a whole amount and not want change. That's why I
carry a variety of denomination bills and silver. And reduce the tip
accordingly.

I think there's a difference in situations here -- one being customers
stealing, and the other being a place of inattentive or scamming staff.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
> Golden California Girls > writes:
>
>> Matt Barry wrote:
>>> Recently, talking with a friend who works in a restaurant, I was
>>> surprised to hear that occasionally a customer or group of customers
>>> will walk out without paying if they are extremely unhappy with
>>> their dining experience (he said he's only seen this happen twice,
>>> but still). I couldn't believe that this happens! I can kind of
>>> relate this to when I used to work at a gas station (for all of
>>> three days) and quit because of people who drove off without paying
>>> for gas, and the clerk on duty had to make up the difference. Does
>>> anything like this exist in the restaurant situation?

>> In a lot of places it is SOP. May or may not be legal, but it is SOP.

> This is an example of employers illegally abusing their employees.
> Sometimes employees feel that this is unfair, but don't report it the
> authorities because they don't realize it's very much against the law.
> Or they don't report it because they know it will almost surely result
> in their being fired from the job. The authorities will take a very
> dim view of this kind of behaviour from employers, likely resulting
> in tremendous fines. But the employee can't afford to lose their job
> and get involved in the government's investigation -- they need to
> just be working and trying to get by. That's why it is SOP.

There are two things at work here. Joe server inviting his friends to come and
dine on the restaurant's tab. Joe server not doing his job of protecting the
till and chasing down the dine and dash. I've never heard of a place that
docked if the customer flat out steals, refuses to pay when confronted and then
runs. Server should at the least get a license plate number and call the
police. Being so inattentive as to allow someone out without paying, that
properly is covered. Especially if you agreed to it in writing before you took
the job.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Golden California Girls wrote:
> Server should at the least get a license plate number and call the
> police. Being so inattentive as to allow someone out without paying, that
> properly is covered. Especially if you agreed to it in writing before you took
> the job.

The point is that you can fire an employee for that, but not dock it
out of his pay. I doubt any employer would put those terms in writing,
since it's illegal. If an employer hired me below minimum wage and I
signed the contract, I still have a right to demand minimum wage.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

In article m>,
Golden California Girls > wrote:

> Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
> > Golden California Girls > writes:

> >> In a lot of places it is SOP. May or may not be legal, but it is SOP.

> > This is an example of employers illegally abusing their employees.
> > Sometimes employees feel that this is unfair, but don't report it the
> > authorities because they don't realize it's very much against the law.
> > Or they don't report it because they know it will almost surely result
> > in their being fired from the job. The authorities will take a very
> > dim view of this kind of behaviour from employers, likely resulting
> > in tremendous fines. But the employee can't afford to lose their job
> > and get involved in the government's investigation -- they need to
> > just be working and trying to get by. That's why it is SOP.

> There are two things at work here. Joe server inviting his friends to come
> and dine on the restaurant's tab. Joe server not doing his job of protecting the
> till and chasing down the dine and dash. I've never heard of a place that
> docked if the customer flat out steals, refuses to pay when confronted and
> then runs. Server should at the least get a license plate number and call the
> police. Being so inattentive as to allow someone out without paying, that
> properly is covered. Especially if you agreed to it in writing before you
> took the job.

Be realistic. Unless Joe Server has no other customers, chances are,
he's busy actually serving his other customers or in the back picking up
their food from the kitchen. What's Joe Server supposed to do if a
customer eats, then leaves the restaurant while Joe Server is in the
kitchen picking up someone else's food. For that matter, how is Joe
Server supposed to know the customer simply stepped into the restroom to
wash up before settling the bill?

You obviously have never worked in a restaurant before.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Bucky wrote:
> Golden California Girls wrote:
>> Server should at the least get a license plate number and call the
>> police. Being so inattentive as to allow someone out without paying, that
>> properly is covered. Especially if you agreed to it in writing before you took
>> the job.

> The point is that you can fire an employee for that, but not dock it
> out of his pay. I doubt any employer would put those terms in writing,
> since it's illegal. If an employer hired me below minimum wage and I
> signed the contract, I still have a right to demand minimum wage.

What minimum wage? This is the restaurant business after all!
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article m>,
> Golden California Girls > wrote:
>
>> Christopher C. Stacy wrote:

>>> This is an example of employers illegally abusing their employees.
>>> Sometimes employees feel that this is unfair, but don't report it the
>>> authorities because they don't realize it's very much against the law.
>>> Or they don't report it because they know it will almost surely result
>>> in their being fired from the job. The authorities will take a very
>>> dim view of this kind of behaviour from employers, likely resulting
>>> in tremendous fines. But the employee can't afford to lose their job
>>> and get involved in the government's investigation -- they need to
>>> just be working and trying to get by. That's why it is SOP.

>> There are two things at work here. Joe server inviting his friends to come
>> and dine on the restaurant's tab. Joe server not doing his job of protecting the
>> till and chasing down the dine and dash. I've never heard of a place that
>> docked if the customer flat out steals, refuses to pay when confronted and
>> then runs. Server should at the least get a license plate number and call the
>> police. Being so inattentive as to allow someone out without paying, that
>> properly is covered. Especially if you agreed to it in writing before you
>> took the job.

> Be realistic. Unless Joe Server has no other customers, chances are,
> he's busy actually serving his other customers or in the back picking up
> their food from the kitchen. What's Joe Server supposed to do if a
> customer eats, then leaves the restaurant while Joe Server is in the
> kitchen picking up someone else's food. For that matter, how is Joe
> Server supposed to know the customer simply stepped into the restroom to
> wash up before settling the bill?
>
> You obviously have never worked in a restaurant before.

Management rightfully expects them to have a set of eyes in the back of their
head. It's all about making sure when they get near the end of their food that
they pay up. Obviously they don't have to watch the regulars.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Bucky wrote:
> Golden California Girls wrote:
>> What minimum wage? This is the restaurant business after all!

> I hope you're not an employer, because you are not very up to date on
> basic employment laws. The federal minimum wage for tipped employees is
> $2.13/hr. Many states have their own (higher) wages.

Well, made you look it up and prove that tipped employees are treated much
differently than others in the labor code.

Now you want to post a link to where it says they can't be docked for letting a
customer not pay - or to put it more correctly, the till is short.

Catbert
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Golden California Girls wrote:
> Well, made you look it up and prove that tipped employees are treated much
> differently than others in the labor code.

Nice try... pretending like you knew that all along. It's okay to admit
that you're wrong.

> Now you want to post a link to where it says they can't be docked for letting a
> customer not pay - or to put it more correctly, the till is short.

Not only are you incapable of admitting you're wrong, you're also
incapable of doing a basic internet search.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs16.htm

"(1) A minimum wage employee working as a cashier is illegally required
to reimburse the employer for a cash drawer shortage. (2) An employer
improperly requires tipped employees to pay for customers who walk out
without paying their bills or for incorrectly totaled bills."

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Bucky wrote:
> Golden California Girls wrote:
>> Well, made you look it up and prove that tipped employees are treated much
>> differently than others in the labor code.

> Nice try... pretending like you knew that all along. It's okay to admit
> that you're wrong.
>
>> Now you want to post a link to where it says they can't be docked for letting a
>> customer not pay - or to put it more correctly, the till is short.

> Not only are you incapable of admitting you're wrong, you're also
> incapable of doing a basic internet search.
>
> http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs16.htm
>
> "(1) A minimum wage employee working as a cashier is illegally required
> to reimburse the employer for a cash drawer shortage. (2) An employer
> improperly requires tipped employees to pay for customers who walk out
> without paying their bills or for incorrectly totaled bills."

Why should I do any searches when I have a slave like you to do them for me?

Catbert
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

>> I used to work at a gas
>> station (for all of three days) and quit because of people who drove off
>> without paying for gas, and the clerk on duty had to make up the difference.

>I'm pretty sure this is illegal for the employer to do.

It is illegal in Michigan now.

I worked gas stations a FEW years ago growing up when this was a
common practice but has since been made illegal.