Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college

Default Diner memochat

Corned beef hash
Home fries
Rye toast
Coffee
Water

Keep the coffee comin', hon.

--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no god.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

"There's hits in chicken." -- Wade Boggs
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college

Jay Furr wrote:

> Corned beef hash
> Home fries
> Rye toast
> Coffee
> Water
>
> Keep the coffee comin', hon.

I worked in a deli as a youngster. That cured me
of ever even thinking about ordering corned beef hash.

-Tom Enright

> --
> "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no god.
> It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> "There's hits in chicken." -- Wade Boggs

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Jay Furr wrote:

> Corned beef hash
> Home fries
> Rye toast
> Coffee
> Water
>
> Keep the coffee comin', hon.

Hunky Eggs
Scrapple
Wheat toast
Coffee
Tomato juice

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college

Jay Furr wrote:
> Corned beef hash
> Home fries
> Rye toast
> Coffee
> Water
>
> Keep the coffee comin', hon.
>
> --
> "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no god.
> It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> "There's hits in chicken." -- Wade Boggs

the best diners are in Chicago, IL, USA.

or possibly Skokie.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college

Ike > wrote in :

> Hunky Eggs

What in the name of Mel's Diner are "hunky eggs"?

--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no god.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

"There's hits in chicken." -- Wade Boggs
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Jay Furr wrote:

> Ike > wrote in :
>

>>Hunky Eggs

> What in the name of Mel's Diner are "hunky eggs"?

PA Dutch

Hunky/Honky Potatoes-
Eggs, home fries, ham, onions & green peppers(kielbasi/sausage) all fried together.

http://www.heidelbergfamilyrestaurant.com/menu.htm

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college

Ike wrote:
> PA Dutch
>
> Hunky/Honky Potatoes-
> Eggs, home fries, ham, onions & green peppers(kielbasi/sausage) all fried together.
>
> http://www.heidelbergfamilyrestaurant.com/menu.htm

OK, that works. Reminds me in a way of the chorizo, salsa, green
onions, and scrambled eggs you get in the southwest. Only without the
salsa and with the home fries. OK, not all that much the same, but you
know what I mean. Mianderson sucks.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Mercellus Bohren wrote:

> Jay Furr wrote:
>
>>Corned beef hash
>>Home fries
>>Rye toast
>>Coffee
>>Water
>>
>>Keep the coffee comin', hon.
>>
>>--
>>"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no god.
>> It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
>>
>> "There's hits in chicken." -- Wade Boggs

> the best diners are in Chicago, IL, USA.
>
> or possibly Skokie.

This is so wrong.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=444

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/10/06/dutch100604.html

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Joel K. 'Jay' Furr wrote:

> Ike wrote:
>
>>PA Dutch
>>
>>Hunky/Honky Potatoes-
>>Eggs, home fries, ham, onions & green peppers(kielbasi/sausage) all fried together.
>>
>>http://www.heidelbergfamilyrestaurant.com/menu.htm

> OK, that works. Reminds me in a way of the chorizo, salsa, green
> onions, and scrambled eggs you get in the southwest. Only without the
> salsa and with the home fries. OK, not all that much the same, but you
> know what I mean. Mianderson sucks.

It took forever to find a website with any references whatsoever. Maybe Google
does not like "Hunky" or "Honky".

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:07:45 GMT, Ike wrote:
>

>>Joel K. 'Jay' Furr wrote:

>>>OK, that works. Reminds me in a way of the chorizo, salsa, green
>>>onions, and scrambled eggs you get in the southwest. Only without the
>>>salsa and with the home fries. OK, not all that much the same, but you
>>>know what I mean. Mianderson sucks.

>>It took forever to find a website with any references whatsoever. Maybe Google
>>does not like "Hunky" or "Honky".

> I grew up PA Dutch and never heard of Hunky/Honky eggs <shrug>
>
> -sw

What area?

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:55:12 GMT, Ike wrote:
>

>>Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>>>I grew up PA Dutch and never heard of Hunky/Honky eggs <shrug>

>>What area?

> Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.
>
> -sw

Ahh. I doubt you would find much PA Dutch Harrisburg and west. If you were north
and east, in the coal regions, or the Hegins, Lebanon, Reading, Lancaster,
Allentown areas and such, you would have seen it, for certain. You need the
"Hunky" mix the coal regions produced..heh.

If you've ever had Halushki, Halupkies, "City Chicken", Bleenies, real "Potpie",
you probably know what I mean.

I've seen "Hunky Eggs" in many many diners in the Central/NE PA coal regions, as
well as the 76/78/22/422 corridors (like the "Heidelburg" that I linked the menu
from earlier) so they are common to the Anthracite, PA Dutch, Amish and Moravian
areas.
The Lebanon, Reading, Hegins and Kutztown areas are big PA Dutch areas.
Lebanon, Myerstown (and Lancaster, obviously), is also well known for it's Amish.
Bethlehem/Allentown is known more for the Moravians..

Kind of like scrapple, though scrapple is more prevalent; Anywhere from Philly
to Harrisburg and north to Scranton and Williamsport you are likely to see it.
Though the areas intertwine, the Amish aren't the PA Dutch, although many
mistake them as being such.

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college

Ike wrote:
> Mercellus Bohren wrote:
>
> > Jay Furr wrote:
> >
> >>Corned beef hash
> >>Home fries
> >>Rye toast
> >>Coffee
> >>Water
> >>
> >>Keep the coffee comin', hon.
> >>
> >>--
> >>"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no god.
> >> It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
> >>
> >> "There's hits in chicken." -- Wade Boggs

> > the best diners are in Chicago, IL, USA.
> >
> > or possibly Skokie.
> >

> This is so wrong.
>
> http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=444
>

> http://www.cincypost.com/2004/10/06/dutch100604.html
>

> --
> Yrs.,
>
> Ike
>
> ************************************************** ******
> "Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
> they're good at it. When you are out there by
> yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
> else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
> ************************************************** ******
> http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers

dood, no, don't even go there, but go here...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cNlBkhPMK9ZhLxc_DuAa-Q

also, make sure to watch out for the Hebrews while you're there, they
can get pretty testy early in teh morning...and, in that same vein,
disregard the lamo reviewers at that there web site I linked to

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Mercellus Bohren wrote:

> Ike wrote:
>
>>Mercellus Bohren wrote:

>>>the best diners are in Chicago, IL, USA.
>>>
>>>or possibly Skokie.
>>>

>>This is so wrong.
>>
>>http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=444
>>

>>http://www.cincypost.com/2004/10/06/dutch100604.html
>>

> dood, no, don't even go there, but go here...
>
> http://www.yelp.com/biz/cNlBkhPMK9ZhLxc_DuAa-Q
>
> also, make sure to watch out for the Hebrews while you're there, they
> can get pretty testy early in teh morning...and, in that same vein,
> disregard the lamo reviewers at that there web site I linked to

Indeed. The reviewers weren't too impressed with the place.

Is it a Kosher place?

http://www.michaelsdeli.com/

Yum.

Take out heaven.

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college

Ike wrote:
> Mercellus Bohren wrote:
>
> > Ike wrote:

> >>This is so wrong.
> >>
> >>http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=444
> >>

> >>http://www.cincypost.com/2004/10/06/dutch100604.html
> >>

> > dood, no, don't even go there, but go here...
> >
> > http://www.yelp.com/biz/cNlBkhPMK9ZhLxc_DuAa-Q
> >
> > also, make sure to watch out for the Hebrews while you're there, they
> > can get pretty testy early in teh morning...and, in that same vein,
> > disregard the lamo reviewers at that there web site I linked to
> >

> Indeed. The reviewers weren't too impressed with the place.
>
> Is it a Kosher place?
>
> http://www.michaelsdeli.com/
>
> Yum.
>
> Take out heaven.
>
> --
> Yrs.,
>
> Ike
>
> ************************************************** ******
> "Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
> they're good at it. When you are out there by
> yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
> else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
> ************************************************** ******
> http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers

Okay, your one looks better.
I'm one hungry Jew now.
But, if you're ever in Skokie, give Jack's a try.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Mercellus Bohren wrote:

> Ike wrote:
>
>>Mercellus Bohren wrote:

>>>dood, no, don't even go there, but go here...
>>>
>>>http://www.yelp.com/biz/cNlBkhPMK9ZhLxc_DuAa-Q
>>>
>>>also, make sure to watch out for the Hebrews while you're there, they
>>>can get pretty testy early in teh morning...and, in that same vein,
>>>disregard the lamo reviewers at that there web site I linked to
>>>

>>Indeed. The reviewers weren't too impressed with the place.
>>
>>Is it a Kosher place?
>>
>>http://www.michaelsdeli.com/
>>
>>Yum.
>>
>>Take out heaven.
>>

> Okay, your one looks better.
> I'm one hungry Jew now.

That was no fair of me- Michaels was voted best Jewish Deli in Philly and 'Burbs
so many time I've lost count... Ate many a lunch from there when working in King
of Prussia.

> But, if you're ever in Skokie, give Jack's a try.

If I ever get out that way again, I will look for it..

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college

Ike wrote:
> Jay Furr wrote:
>
> > Corned beef hash
> > Home fries
> > Rye toast
> > Coffee
> > Water
> >
> > Keep the coffee comin', hon.
> >

> Hunky Eggs
> Scrapple
> Wheat toast
> Coffee
> Tomato juice

Syrup on the scrapple, yeah or ney?

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

leinbacker wrote:
> Ike wrote:
>
>>Jay Furr wrote:
>>

>>>Corned beef hash
>>>Home fries
>>>Rye toast
>>>Coffee
>>>Water
>>>
>>>Keep the coffee comin', hon.
>>>

>>Hunky Eggs
>>Scrapple
>>Wheat toast
>>Coffee
>>Tomato juice

> Syrup on the scrapple, yeah or ney?

Tons.

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college

Mercellus Bohren wrote:
> Jay Furr wrote:
> > Corned beef hash
> > Home fries
> > Rye toast
> > Coffee
> > Water
> >
> > Keep the coffee comin', hon.
> >
> > --
> > "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no god.
> > It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
> >
> > "There's hits in chicken." -- Wade Boggs

> the best diners are in Chicago, IL, USA.
>
> or possibly Skokie.

I've only eatin at one diner in Illinois and it was pretty damn good.
It was somewhere west of Chicago in the country, along I-80, near a
Motel 6. That should pretty much narrow it down

New Jersey has several good diners, many are still the the old metal
double wide types.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:19:16 GMT, Ike wrote:
>

>>Steve Wertz wrote:

>>>Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.

>>Ahh. I doubt you would find much PA Dutch Harrisburg and west. If you were north
>>and east, in the coal regions, or the Hegins, Lebanon, Reading, Lancaster,
>>Allentown areas and such, you would have seen it, for certain. You need the
>>"Hunky" mix the coal regions produced..heh.

> My parents are from Lancaster and Reading and my grandparents
> from Germany. Believe me, I grew up Pennsylvania Dutch. But we
> didn't eat out much, though, but we were well traveled across PA
> and the Amish belt (not that that defines PA Dutch, but it kinda
> coincides).

NEver doubted your word- and "coincides" is a good word for it.

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:19:16 GMT, Ike wrote:
>

>>Steve Wertz wrote:

>>>Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.

>>Ahh. I doubt you would find much PA Dutch Harrisburg and west. If you were north
>>and east, in the coal regions, or the Hegins, Lebanon, Reading, Lancaster,
>>Allentown areas and such, you would have seen it, for certain. You need the
>>"Hunky" mix the coal regions produced..heh.

> My parents are from Lancaster and Reading and my grandparents
> from Germany. Believe me, I grew up Pennsylvania Dutch. But we
> didn't eat out much, though, but we were well traveled across PA
> and the Amish belt (not that that defines PA Dutch, but it kinda
> coincides).
>
> -sw

Lots of Wertzs in the area- I work with a few from Lebanon area, and there are
quite a few here on the Dauphin/Schuylkill county border.

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"Race car driving is a little like sex: all men think
they're good at it. When you are out there by
yourself, you actually are good at it - until somebody
else comes on the track,'' - Jay Leno
http://www.frappr.com/rsfckers
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,rec.sport.football.college
Ike Ike is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:06:57 GMT, Ike wrote:
>

>>Lots of Wertzs in the area- I work with a few from Lebanon area,

> I'm sorry to hear that. ;-)
>
> Wirtz, Wertz, Werts - we;'re all the same. Somebody a long time
> ago just didn't know how to spell.
>
> -sw

Kind of like Schneider, Snider, Snyder?

;-)