Old 28-04-2006, 07:20 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Default Warnings about ordering certain foods in certain cities

Dav wrote:
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:40:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
wrote:

Dav wrote:
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:54:10 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
wrote:

Dav wrote:
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:47:53 +0100, "Andrew @ Rockface"
wrote:

If you'd ever had a locally made pasty you'd know what's wrong with
them. I guess it's a little like comparing a shrink-wrapped frozen pizza
with a freshly made pizza in Italy. They really are horrible next to the
pasties we eat down here.
Fair enough - I can dig that. Ginster's pasties are much nicer than
the 'fresh' ones that they serve up in my local Co-op though...
We're spoilt for choice really. Most towns and villages have several
pasty makers (4 in my town). Like I said, I'll buy you (or any of the
other alt.punkers) a pasty and some real beer if you come down.
Party at Andrew's house?

Do they have coke and hookers down in Cornwall?

The only hookers down here form part of a scrum

Hookers, tight-heads, loose heads, men jumping on top of each other,
men taking a bath together, etc., etc...

Who was it that said that rugger has no homoerotic undercurrents?

Never heard it called rugger down here. Strangely it's (Rugby Union)
viewed as a working class sport in Cornwall and tends to be taught with
more vigor in regular comprehensive schools than football - at least
when I was at school it was.

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: (Winamp is not active ;-)

Old 28-04-2006, 07:21 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

NeedforSwede2 wrote:
In article , [email protected]
records.co.uk says...
wrote:

If you'd ever had a locally made pasty you'd know what's wrong with
them. I guess it's a little like comparing a shrink-wrapped frozen pizza
with a freshly made pizza in Italy. They really are horrible next to the
pasties we eat down here.
Fair enough - I can dig that. Ginster's pasties are much nicer than
the 'fresh' ones that they serve up in my local Co-op though...

We're spoilt for choice really. Most towns and villages have several
pasty makers (4 in my town). Like I said, I'll buy you (or any of the
other alt.punkers) a pasty and some real beer if you come down.

The missus is from Leigh, not far from Wigan.
And they make pasties up here. Proper meat and potato ones.
When we lived in Luton she always complained that Pasties had peas and
carrots in, not like proper meat and potato ones from the north.

I wouldn't mind trying one sometime.

I'm afraid when it comes to pasties I'm a cheese and onion person
myself.

My favourite is a good steak and stilton pasty.

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: (Winamp is not active ;-)
Old 30-04-2006, 04:44 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,memphis.dining

Al wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.

We used to many years ago. It was on Summer near White Station.
Used to love going there

Really? Lots of places closing up near that intersection these days.
K-Mart closed, the Western Sizzlin' closed up very recently. There was
a Chinese joint right next to it, can't recall the name now....
RYU's Steak & Sushi opened up across the street, what 2 years ago now
right by that Chinese Market by the Sears Credit Union I think it is.
Don't go there that much, but RYU's is good for some sushi IMHO. I'm
surprised to see Zellner's or is it Zelners still there, they do good
work, but wrong news group for car repair...
Old 30-04-2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,stl.dining,memphis.dining,alt.food.sushi

Default memphis area sushi/japanese

I was in Memphis a couple of years ago. I accidentally came accross a
very nice Chinese buffet - in a weird neighborhood, too.

Old 16-05-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article ,
Mike Walsh wrote:

The Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips chain used to have bottles of malted
vinegar available. Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.
Instead we have Captain D's which does serve fish and chips, southern
US style. I vaguely recall seeing Long John Silvers here, but according
to wikipedia, some merger took place. I do recall Captain D's offering
the vinegar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's

In StL, we have both Long John Silvers and Cap'n D's, and both offer
vinegar at the table/condiments counter.

jt

Old 25-05-2006, 07:03 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article [email protected],
jt august wrote:

In article ,
Mike Walsh wrote:

The Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips chain used to have bottles of malted
vinegar available. Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.
Instead we have Captain D's which does serve fish and chips, southern
US style. I vaguely recall seeing Long John Silvers here, but according
to wikipedia, some merger took place. I do recall Captain D's offering
the vinegar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's

In StL, we have both Long John Silvers and Cap'n D's, and both offer
vinegar at the table/condiments counter.

Just a quick follow-up, Penn Station Subs (chain - not sure how many
cities it is in) also has malt vinegar available to sprinkle on your
fries (which the cut in house daily, no mass pre-processed fries there,
and I really like them).

jt
Old 25-05-2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

jt august wrote:
In article [email protected],
jt august wrote:

In article ,
Mike Walsh wrote:

The Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips chain used to have bottles of malted
vinegar available. Here in Memphis, TN, we don't have Arthur Treachers.
Instead we have Captain D's which does serve fish and chips, southern
US style. I vaguely recall seeing Long John Silvers here, but according
to wikipedia, some merger took place. I do recall Captain D's offering
the vinegar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's

In StL, we have both Long John Silvers and Cap'n D's, and both offer
vinegar at the table/condiments counter.

Just a quick follow-up, Penn Station Subs (chain - not sure how many
cities it is in) also has malt vinegar available to sprinkle on your
fries (which the cut in house daily, no mass pre-processed fries there,
and I really like them).

jt

NO WHITE VINEGAR - NO PEACE!!

Old 25-05-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article .com,
"Cam" wrote:

Just a quick follow-up, Penn Station Subs (chain - not sure how many
cities it is in) also has malt vinegar available to sprinkle on your
fries (which the cut in house daily, no mass pre-processed fries there,
and I really like them).

NO WHITE VINEGAR - NO PEACE!!

Nyeh, malt vinegar is more flavorful.

jt
Old 26-05-2006, 10:01 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

jt august wrote:
In article .com,
"Cam" wrote:

Just a quick follow-up, Penn Station Subs (chain - not sure how many
cities it is in) also has malt vinegar available to sprinkle on your
fries (which the cut in house daily, no mass pre-processed fries there,
and I really like them).

NO WHITE VINEGAR - NO PEACE!!

Nyeh, malt vinegar is more flavorful.

jt

I had a side order of Vindaloo sauce with my fries last night, double
nyeh.

Cam

Old 27-05-2006, 01:53 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

"Cam" wrote in message
ups.com...

jt august wrote:
In article .com,
"Cam" wrote:

Just a quick follow-up, Penn Station Subs (chain - not sure how many
cities it is in) also has malt vinegar available to sprinkle on your
fries (which the cut in house daily, no mass pre-processed fries
there,
and I really like them).

NO WHITE VINEGAR - NO PEACE!!

Nyeh, malt vinegar is more flavorful.

jt

I had a side order of Vindaloo sauce with my fries last night, double
nyeh.

Cam

What exactly is "Vindaloo" of more specifically "Crab Vindaloo"?

Old 03-06-2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

Kevin Childers wrote:
"Cam" wrote in message
ups.com...

jt august wrote:
In article .com,
NO WHITE VINEGAR - NO PEACE!!

Nyeh, malt vinegar is more flavorful.

jt

I had a side order of Vindaloo sauce with my fries last night, double
nyeh.

Cam

What exactly is "Vindaloo" of more specifically "Crab Vindaloo"?

Crab Vindaloo?

Cam
helping those who can't google

Old 03-06-2006, 03:55 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article ,
"Kevin Childers" wrote:

I had a side order of Vindaloo sauce with my fries last night, double
nyeh.

Cam

What exactly is "Vindaloo" of more specifically "Crab Vindaloo"?

From Wikipedia:
Vindaloo is a popular Indian food dish.

It was first brought to Goa by the Portuguese and soon became a pleasing
Goan meal often served during special occasions. Historically this was a
pork dish cooked with plenty of wine vinegar and garlic, known as "Vinha
d'Alho", however it soon received the Goanese treatment of adding
plentiful amounts of spice and chili. Restaurants often serve this dish
with chicken or lamb sometimes mixed with potatoes. Traditional
vindaloos do not include potatoes, the discrepancy arising because the
word "aloo" means "potato" in Hindi.

The dish gained added popularity in Britain, and became a common fixture
at Indian restaurants and curry houses there. In colloquial English it
is often referred to as "A Vindy" and is well known for its heat, being
one of the hotter curries available.

From the website for Patang: A Name for Indian Hospitality
(A restaurant in Yonkers, NY)

Crab Vindaloo (Very Spicy)
Very Spicy crab meat cooked with potatoes in a sharp, tangy sauce.

Vindaloos are powerfully hot dishes at Indian restaurants, the hottest
of curries. The heat level compares to T-Bell's Fire sauce, but as with
all curries, there are many other flavors that make it a much richer
flavor.

From the Epicentre (a cooking website), I found this recipe at:
http://www.theepicentre.com/Recipes/ivindalo.html

Vindaloo

The king of curries, the fiery hot vindaloo, is of Portuguese origin.

Ingredients:

1 tsp. cardamom seeds
1tbsp. chilli powder
4 cinnamon sticks, 3 (75mm)
12 cloves, whole
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
2 tsp. ginger, fresh, minced
1 tsp. black peppercorns, whole
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 tsp. mustard powder
2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 1/4 cups (285 ml) vinegar, malt or wine
4 lb (1.8 kg) pork (or beef, chicken, lamb) cubed
4-6 tbsp mustard oil or ghee
2 onions, medium, chopped
4 bay leaves

Preparation:
see the above website for the body of the recipe.

I true vindaloo will use a few different ingredients.
Cardamon pods instead of seeds.
Ground hot and/or chile peppers of specific types instead of chili
powder.
Cinnamon bark (unprocessed) instead of processed cinnamon sticks.

But this gives you an idea on vindaloos. Done right, these are
powerfully hot and flavorful, and very low salt. Most places in America
put way more salt in them, to the point the salt is tasteable.

Hope this helps.

jt
Old 04-06-2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

"jt august" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
In article ,
"Kevin Childers" wrote:

I had a side order of Vindaloo sauce with my fries last night, double
nyeh.

Cam

What exactly is "Vindaloo" of more specifically "Crab Vindaloo"?

From Wikipedia:
Vindaloo is a popular Indian food dish.

It was first brought to Goa by the Portuguese and soon became a pleasing
Goan meal often served during special occasions. Historically this was a
pork dish cooked with plenty of wine vinegar and garlic, known as "Vinha
d'Alho", however it soon received the Goanese treatment of adding
plentiful amounts of spice and chili. Restaurants often serve this dish
with chicken or lamb sometimes mixed with potatoes. Traditional
vindaloos do not include potatoes, the discrepancy arising because the
word "aloo" means "potato" in Hindi.

The dish gained added popularity in Britain, and became a common fixture
at Indian restaurants and curry houses there. In colloquial English it
is often referred to as "A Vindy" and is well known for its heat, being
one of the hotter curries available.

From the website for Patang: A Name for Indian Hospitality
(A restaurant in Yonkers, NY)

Crab Vindaloo (Very Spicy)
Very Spicy crab meat cooked with potatoes in a sharp, tangy sauce.

Vindaloos are powerfully hot dishes at Indian restaurants, the hottest
of curries. The heat level compares to T-Bell's Fire sauce, but as with
all curries, there are many other flavors that make it a much richer
flavor.

From the Epicentre (a cooking website), I found this recipe at:
[...]

Thank you very much you have just enhanced my enjoyment of :Red Dwarf"
as well as giving a reason to stop off at the Indian Restaurant over on
Page Ave. in Overland.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

In article ,
"Kevin Childers" wrote:

Thank you very much you have just enhanced my enjoyment of :Red Dwarf"
as well as giving a reason to stop off at the Indian Restaurant over on
Page Ave. in Overland.

I love that restaurant over on Page, but, they don't do vindaloos.
Vindys are a meat or fish dish, and htat place is strictly vegan.
Wonderful food, I hit their lunch buffet every so often, but no
vindaloos. The place in the Hojo tower by the airport had a vindaloo
the last time I went there, but that was a few years back, so I caannot
promise about it now.

jt
Old 04-06-2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.punk,stl.dining,memphis.dining

"jt august" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
In article ,
"Kevin Childers" wrote:

Thank you very much you have just enhanced my enjoyment of :Red
Dwarf"
as well as giving a reason to stop off at the Indian Restaurant over on
Page Ave. in Overland.

I love that restaurant over on Page, but, they don't do vindaloos.
Vindys are a meat or fish dish, and htat place is strictly vegan.
Wonderful food, I hit their lunch buffet every so often, but no
vindaloos. The place in the Hojo tower by the airport had a vindaloo
the last time I went there, but that was a few years back, so I caannot
promise about it now.

jt

Ok, that's not to far away to try either.