Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Default Need New Orleans Restaurant recommendations

Hello all,
I will be visiting New Orleans in a few weeks, and would like some
restaurant recommendations.I am looking for restaurants in the French
Quarter that serve good, authentic Cajun/Creole cuisine.
I was there last Summer for a couple of days, and didn't really eat at
any of those types of restaurants. Any and all advice about current New
Orleans conditions would be appreciated. as well. Private emails are OK
too.
Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Ryan wrote:
> Hello all,
> I will be visiting New Orleans in a few weeks, and would like some
> restaurant recommendations.I am looking for restaurants in the French
> Quarter that serve good, authentic Cajun/Creole cuisine.
> I was there last Summer for a couple of days, and didn't really eat at
> any of those types of restaurants. Any and all advice about current New
> Orleans conditions would be appreciated. as well. Private emails are OK
> too.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ryan

Suggest you check into
http://www.nola.com the Website of the N.O.
Times-Picaunne (sp?).

Rob Lake
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Robin Lake wrote:

> Ryan wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I will be visiting New Orleans in a few weeks, and would like some
> > restaurant recommendations.I am looking for restaurants in the French
> > Quarter that serve good, authentic Cajun/Creole cuisine.
> > I was there last Summer for a couple of days, and didn't really eat at
> > any of those types of restaurants. Any and all advice about current New
> > Orleans conditions would be appreciated. as well. Private emails are OK
> > too.
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> Suggest you check into
http://www.nola.com the Website of the N.O.
> Times-Picaunne (sp?).
>
> Rob Lake

It might also be wise to phone ahead before going to any restaurant in
New Orleans. It's very possible that a particular restaurant might not
have re-opened (yet) due to damage from Hurricane Katrina (?).

Skyhooks
""aahhtt""
s b c g l o b a l
""ddoott""
n e t

P.S. I can recommend Mandina's Restaurant <http://mandinas.com>, but I
don't know their status since "Kate" (a.k.a. Hurricane Katrina) passed
through their area August 29, 2005.
Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 23:13:48 -0500, Skyhooks >
wrote:

>Robin Lake wrote:

>P.S. I can recommend Mandina's Restaurant <http://mandinas.com>, but I
>don't know their status since "Kate" (a.k.a. Hurricane Katrina) passed
>through their area August 29, 2005.

As of mid March, Mandina's was far from reopening. The French
Quarter, Garden District, and upper Carroliton, near the river, are
pretty much back.

The area around Mandina's, Mid City, had 5ft of water so nothing is
basically back there. I'm originally from the Mid City area and still
have family there. Or what is left of the area. You can go blocks
without seeing a living soul to this day. My aunt was "lucky" and is
back in her house because it is a 2 story house with the first story
having been garages so only one car, washer and dryer, and everything
else one keeps in a garage was lost. A son of her's and his family
had to move back in with her as he lost everything. At 50 he is not
too happy about it but... enough of my family.

I'm back down there this week so I'll look for open places and report
back here if I get the chance. One of the big problems the New
Orleans area is facing is the lack of workers. Even in areas were
there was little or no water many restaurants have not reopened
because they can't get the staff. I know that in my parents area,
Jefferson, that many restaurants are just now opening with shorten
hours. Mickey Ds was actually bringing in workers from out of state
to reopen many of its locations. They and many other fast food chains
all had signs out that they would pay $12+ an hour for help plus a
signing incentive of up to $250 in some cases. Corporations can do
this but the locals can't.

Back to the original question. Yes call before you go. The French
Quarter, Garden District and parts of upper Carroliton by the river
are back but the rest will take a long time if ever.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Garry Owen > wrote:

>As of mid March, Mandina's was far from reopening. The French
>Quarter, Garden District, and upper Carroliton, near the river, are
>pretty much back.

>The area around Mandina's, Mid City, had 5ft of water so nothing is
>basically back there. I'm originally from the Mid City area and still
>have family there. Or what is left of the area. You can go blocks
>without seeing a living soul to this day.

TripAdvisor suggets Jacques Imo (8324 Oak Street) is back operating.
If so they'd be a good place to check out, outside the French
Quarter. I'll call to make sure though.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.restaurants

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:15:57 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Garry Owen > wrote:
>
>>As of mid March, Mandina's was far from reopening. The French
>>Quarter, Garden District, and upper Carroliton, near the river, are
>>pretty much back.

>>The area around Mandina's, Mid City, had 5ft of water so nothing is
>>basically back there. I'm originally from the Mid City area and still
>>have family there. Or what is left of the area. You can go blocks
>>without seeing a living soul to this day.

>TripAdvisor suggets Jacques Imo (8324 Oak Street) is back operating.
>If so they'd be a good place to check out, outside the French
>Quarter. I'll call to make sure though.
>
>Steve

Good choice.

Don't know if it is open but Manales at 1838 Napoleon Ave,
(504) 895-4877 is a little closer to the FC, if you use that as a
starting point, and their BBQ Shrimp is to die for.

In the Quarter give the Coffee Pot on St. Peter a try. Not your grand
food but good down home New Orleans food.

My favorite restaurant has always been the Bon Ton on Magazine about 4
or 5 blocks up from Canal St/Quarter. Don't know if the water got up
there but give them a call. The beauty of the place is that more of a
restaurant where the locals will go for a good night out. Most of the
food is old line Cajun (country food, pot/kettle cooked food) and
Creole (city food).